It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:39 am

Summer '17 Football Thread: Transfer Madness Edition

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Summer '17 Football Thread: Transfer Madness Edition

Postby PorkChop » Jul 23, '17, 7:10 am

Just saw the most intense pre-season friendly Hertha BSC and Malaga. Throat grabs and flying two-footers everywhere.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 02, '17, 2:06 pm

So, Neymar set to join PSG for a world-record fee of 198m with the whole deal including wages and bonuses totalling 450m

I'm not fully buying this is down to the situation with Qatar and the wider situation in the region although there seems to be enmity between Barcelona and Qatar (former no longer are sponsored by Qatar Airways) which PSG are more than happy to profit from by signing Neymar.

I think it's down to timing for Neymar. He's 25, has won trophies and when he joined Barcelona it was to learn and improve under Messi. Whether he genuinely thought he'd take over as the main man when (if?) Messi declines is difficult to say. With the WC looming, he maybe feels he will have a chance to win the Balon D Or which has a huge significance in Brazil and is a major indicator as to whether you are perceived as a footballing legend or not.

He could stay but Messi will still be Messi. Unlike Ronaldo, he's shown he can still score vast number of goals AND have a determining impact in a game. If Neymar was at Real, it's a no brainer to ease out a great player and replace him with the Brazilian.

Neymar will be judged on this decision and it'll be the primary point in his footballing epitaph. If he wins CL and WC this season and ends up WPOTY then it was worth it. If not, then.. sadly players with a huge fees are judged by immediate short term impact.

Had Neymar explicitly said earlier in the summer he was leaving then think United may have considered a move but until today it was all speculation.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 03, '17, 8:48 am

Man, media folk don't half jump the gun sometimes. Pedro was talking about the upcoming season today and said that he and his players have to keep the mentality of being the best because of the expectations of being Rangers, basically. Fucking immediately every outlet is jumping on the idea that Pedro thinks he has the best squad in Scotland, making him sound fuckin delusional. Deary me.

That aside, been pretty encouraging pre-season since the embarrassment at the start of the month. Now the squad's bedded in a little they're starting to perform quite nicely, managed a draw against Marseille and wins against Watford and Sheffield Wednesday, if we can stay consistent at that level, if not improve upon it, should not be a far cry by any means that we'll be competitive in the league. Nice.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby prophet » Aug 03, '17, 3:31 pm

Neymar signs for PSG. Mental - am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about the money involved? That's just the nature of the beast these days; it's not my money so why do I care? I believe there's a genuine footballing motivation that's played a part in his move (though the money will certainly have been a factor) but if he's looking to step out of Messi's shadow to try and win a Ballon D'or he's not going to have any luck in the tinpot French league.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Aug 04, '17, 3:36 am

prophet wrote:Neymar signs for PSG. Mental - am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about the money involved? That's just the nature of the beast these days; it's not my money so why do I care? I believe there's a genuine footballing motivation that's played a part in his move (though the money will certainly have been a factor) but if he's looking to step out of Messi's shadow to try and win a Ballon D'or he's not going to have any luck in the tinpot French league.

Money was a huge factor, probably the biggest tbh. He's on 515K per week now. He also held off signing for them until after July 31st as then he'd pick up a 23M loyalty bonus from Barcelona.

Since 2013, Neymar's dad has been paid more money than Leo Messi. It's all about money. But then with those kind of figures involved, who can blame him?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 30, '17, 11:27 am

Another day or so left and it could be one of the deadline days worthy of Jim White's usual, excited SSN hype.

The futures of many players up in the air: Sanchez (ultimately, City will stump up the money to keep Pep happy), Coutinho (staying but why Liverpool didn't let him go for the money offered IDK), Van Dijk (staying as I can't see them selling to Liverpool and Chelsea interest has faded).

Few other deals such as Drinkwater to Chelsea, and Oxlade-Chamberlain to Liverpool are on-going.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Aug 30, '17, 11:46 am

Yellow tie day tomorrow!

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Aug 31, '17, 1:59 am

Somehow I doubt Norwich will manage to sign 4 new centre backs, ship out Cameron Jerome and sell Russell Martin to a League Two club, so I imagine I'll be disappointed by Deadline Day.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Viazon » Aug 31, '17, 8:33 am

Where is Kate Abdo? Does she still even work for Sky Sports News? I miss her.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Sep 01, '17, 4:47 pm

Viazon wrote:Where is Kate Abdo? Does she still even work for Sky Sports News? I miss her.

She left SSN a while ago - think she's on TV in America presenting soccer.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Previous

Return to Soccer/Football