It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 11:40 pm

Summer '17 Football Thread: Transfer Madness Edition

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: February '17 Football Thread: ClaudiOut (for real this time) Edition

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 11, '17, 5:26 am

Bloody hell, Arsenal have lost their last four away games. A first for Wenger.

You feel for him but he's made his own mistakes but the players, fucking hell. Walcott admitting Palace wanted it more than them says it all..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby PorkChop » Apr 19, '17, 1:43 am

The Blues have hired Harry Redknapp. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

We could either end up relegating them or they'll get that new manager bounce and do us over and escape the drop. We're without Kodjia for the game as well, so our best chance of scoring a goal probably comes from someone like Albert Adomah, which is a depressing thought.

In all seriousness though, I feel sorry for Blues fans. The owners haven't got a clue about football, as seen by their decision to sack Rowett and replacing him with Zola. Rowett had worked wonders for them and had them in 7th place before he was sacked. Disgraceful.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Apr 19, '17, 4:36 am

I hope they go down. Karma for what they did to Rowett.

Also I hope and pray Leeds miss out on the playoffs. It'd be hysterical.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PorkChop » Apr 21, '17, 12:11 pm

Sad to hear about Ugo Ehiogu. He was part of the first Villa team I really remember following when I was a kid. He was a great defender and will always be remembered well at Villa. RIP.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 21, '17, 2:29 pm

Sad news about Ugo Ehiogu, remember his name well from his time at Aston Villa and the group of players that were at the club at that time. He seems to have had a burgeoning reputation as a coach behind the scenes at Tottenham and it has come as a major shock. Watching the tributes from Merson and Dwight Yorke have been emotional..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Apr 26, '17, 1:38 pm

That video of John Terry's mum though

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 26, '17, 1:56 pm

Luckily not seen the video but seen a picture of John and his mum, with their tongues out...

Edit: Daily Star, not the greatest source, are saying it's not his mum but a prostitute..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » Apr 26, '17, 2:20 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Luckily not seen the video but seen a picture of John and his mum, with their tongues out...

Edit: Daily Star, not the greatest source, are saying it's not his mum but a prostitute..

Whether it's his mum or not, she's certainly experienced.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 27, '17, 11:38 am

PorkChop wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:Luckily not seen the video but seen a picture of John and his mum, with their tongues out...

Whether it's his mum or not, she's certainly experienced.

VERY experienced...

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby prophet » May 16, '17, 3:24 pm

Going Wembley on Saturday. Hoping to join you all in the Championship next season but I'm shitting myself about it - Millwall are a bit of a bogey side for us.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » May 20, '17, 2:53 pm

prophet wrote:Going Wembley on Saturday. Hoping to join you all in the Championship next season but I'm shitting myself about it - Millwall are a bit of a bogey side for us.

Gutted for you sir.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » May 21, '17, 10:21 am

Fuck Millwall, I hope they go back down. Horrid club.

Is it just me, or has the standard of football in the Premier League really dropped this season? Especially outside of the top 6/7. The fact that teams like Swansea, Burnley and Watford are still in the league is a disgrace, and Hull, Sunderland and Boro have been pathetic. Even teams in the top half of the table such as Saints, who have managed 8th place, have played some absolutely dire football this year. Same with West Brom in 10th, and Leicester in 12th, who only gave a shit about trying to win once they'd basically forced Ranieri out.

8th place Saints finished only 6 points away from 17th, and 15 points away from 7th. Says a lot about football outside of the top 7.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby prophet » May 22, '17, 10:50 am

Daz wrote:
prophet wrote:Going Wembley on Saturday. Hoping to join you all in the Championship next season but I'm shitting myself about it - Millwall are a bit of a bogey side for us.

Gutted for you sir.

The pain @Daz make it stop

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » May 23, '17, 7:56 am

prophet wrote:
Daz wrote:

Gutted for you sir.

The pain @Daz make it stop

Had to be a former Norwich player who scored to.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Re: Summer '17 Football Thread: Transfer Madness Edition

Postby PorkChop » Jun 03, '17, 1:24 pm

What a goal by Mandzukic, holy shit.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Daz » Jun 03, '17, 3:52 pm

Sergio Ramos should be ashamed of himself. Diving when his team is 3-1, Juventus dead and buried, with 8 mins to go to get a player sent off. So pathetic.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 03, '17, 5:48 pm

Man, Real really stepped it on Juventus in the second half and latter, amazingly, crumbled and couldn't muster up a defensive performance to stop them.

First half was close and intriguing, but nothing jammy about Real in the second half on the pressure they applied, they deserved it. Modric is mint.

Juventus have lost the lost finals in this competition and it's saddening for Buffon but that gets overplayed a tad. Not sure he'd swap his World Cup medal for a CL..

Real v United in the Super Cup in August

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 21, '17, 11:39 am

Been quite the interesting month to be keeping track of Rangers news so prepare yourself for a wall. Yesterday they announced the Man City academy director Mark Allen as our new Director of Football. It's a role we've not had at the club as far as I can remember but they were very clear in their feeling that this was the structure they wanted since Mark Warburton left so clearly they're confident that this is the right way forward.

On top of that, Dave King had a press conference today to announce that Rangers are finally free of that ridiculous retail deal the old board signed with Sports Direct. Before the arrangement was said to be that Rangers were getting something like 7p from every Pound under the old arrangement, with a 7 year notice period for altering the deal. Still can't believe to this day how those fucking vultures did that to Rangers. Thank fuck it's over now.

Supposedly the new deal for the coming season has a massive swing back in favour of Rangers, they've had to partner with Fat Mike again for at least the next year or he wouldn't have agreed to rip up the old deal. On the plus side it seems to be a legitimate partnership this time as opposed to SD essentially owning the retail end of Rangers.

Basically the take away from today is that Rangers fans are actually able to buy club merch in good faith for the first time in several years knowing that it's actually going to benefit the club. Couldn't be happier about that.

In the actual football end of things, Caixinha has not half been busy. We've had six signings announced so far with another two players waiting for work permits. Biggest name to have come in this summer is Bruno Alves. At 35 he's an experienced head, still playing internationally for Portugal. He's a beast in the air which will be of great use to Rangers as a large amount of the goals that were let in last season were from crosses and set pieces. Quite excited about that one.

Besides Bruno, we've also brought in another Portugese Centre Back in the form of Fabio Cardoso, who's just a bit younger than Alves at 23, and a pair of wingers from Benefica, Daniel Candeias and Dalcio, the latter coming in on loan. Pedro has said he's hoping to get a lot more natural width into the team as opposed to the Loaf's old strategy of playing strikers in wide positions and hoping for the best. Would expect the two of them to be starting most games unless Barrie McKay changes his game and actually decides to start going past defenders. He absolutely has the ability to do that but he can't seem to stop cutting inside.

Ryan Jack, who captained Aberdeen last season, signed at the start of the month. Last year Rangers had a difficult time keeping control of the game, and often if we ever fell behind it was incredibly difficult to stabilise and fight back into a match. Jack is a solid hand who knows the league well so should be a valuable presence in midfield. Supposedly Jordan Rossiter is finally training with the team again after being gone for the better part of 9 months. What appearances he did make for the team were very promising, if he can maintain fitness I would expect him to be a big part of the team going forward.

Rounding out the confirmed signings is Alfredo Morelos, a young Colombian striker who has supposedly been doing very well for himself playing for Helsinki. Quite the exciting addition as beside Kenny Miller, Rangers have struggled for natural goal scorers in recent years. That said, among the two signings waiting for work permits is Eduardo Herrera. A real target man and occasional Mexico international, who should compliment our new style quite well. The other one waiting to be announced is Carlos Pena, another player Pedro is familiar with from his time managing in Mexico. I've seen some clips of him playing and it looks like he'll be quite the strong presence in our midfield.

Pedro has had to get most of his business done nice and early to get the new players registered for Europa League qualification. We're going in at the very first round against Progres Niederkorn roughly a week from now. Not the biggest time period for that many signings to gel together but my hopes are high. I'm very excited for the upcoming year, the new players coming in are encouraging and the club is still pursuing more (that we know of, Graham Dorrans and Jamie Walker). Bring on the new season!

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Jun 21, '17, 3:48 pm

^ I've seen Villa being linked with Dorrans as well, but it's unlikely he'd join us. I really like him, he's nothing special but he puts in a shift and is a fairly tidy player, a bit like Steven Davis at Saints - funnily enough a former Rangers player himself. I expect Dorrans would do well with you lot.

I've never heard of the other guys apart from Bruno Alves, who was a top player in my FM 2011 Blackburn save. This obviously means he's destined for greatness.

Villa have allegedly offered John Terry a 2 year deal. Could either be a fantastic or absolutely shite signing. I'm locking my girlfriend up as we speak.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Jul 01, '17, 11:25 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/mephobia8/st ... 41/photo/1

The fact that QPR are 5th is an absolute disgrace.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football