It is currently: Jun 03, '24, 8:29 am

Football/Futbol/Soccer thread

Discussion for soccer/world football, including the English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and more, as well as predictions/contests/games about soccer.

Moderator: PorkChop

Re: Football/Futbol/Soccer thread

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 4:08 am

Georgerv wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
Georgerv wrote:Add me to the fans of Liverpool. I've only a weak following of football, but ever since I was about 4 I've followed Liverpool, and hell, this season it looks like we might actually get shit done.
My secondary team is Southmpton as that's where I'm from, and watching us rise through the leagues in the last 5 or so years has been amazing (even if it means tickets are getting more expensive :lol )

:evil:

Oh boy, why are you so mad?

Having lived in Southampton before, I have a lot of friends who are Southampton fans and they're probably the most delusional bunch of fans I've ever met. They genuinely reckon that Saints can finish 4th in the league this year. I asked them what players they hope to see at Saints at the end of the season, they said James Milner and Javier Hernandez. No kidding.

Plus, they cheated to win against Villa last year, and Adkins came up with the most hilarious excuse for the dive. Their rivalry with Portsmouth is ridiculous and shit, too. I just find them a horrible club, with horrible fans.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Viazon » Oct 15, '13, 4:25 am

Arsenal have gotta thank Southampton though. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have Walcott and Chamberlain.

I wanted to a long shot bet that Man U wouldn't finish top four this season. I know they most likely will but I reckon there is a chance they couldn't. But no bookies would give me any odds. I thought you could bet on anything.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Mike » Oct 15, '13, 7:03 am

Viazon wrote:I wanted to a long shot bet that Man U wouldn't finish top four this season. I know they most likely will but I reckon there is a chance they couldn't. But no bookies would give me any odds. I thought you could bet on anything.

SkyBet and Paddy Power will give you odds of 13/8 for United to finish outside the top four.

[center]Image[/center]
Mike None specified
Mark
Mark

Topics: 1

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 9:45 am

Who else remembers these adverts?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAYPn4iyx4[/youtube]

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 15, '13, 12:01 pm

^ I do! Thought they were the coolest thing ever. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 12:32 pm

Who's watching the game then? IRC?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Oct 15, '13, 1:12 pm

Please tell me there are people out there who think Danny Welbeck is as shit as I do. That being said, he'll likely go and score a hat trick now and end up knighted.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 1:16 pm

Daz wrote:Please tell me there are people out there who think Danny Welbeck is as shit as I do. That being said, he'll likely go and score a hat trick now and end up knighted.

I can't stand him. I think he's shite. If he played for Palace and had the same scoring record and played exactly the same as he does now, calls for him to be in the England team would be laughed at. It's genuinely because he plays for Man United - Wes Brown was named in the England squad for years whilst at United, even when barely playing. As soon as he left United, he's never worn an England shirt since.

Last season, Danny Welbeck's scoring ratio was 4%. That's abysmal.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Oct 15, '13, 1:21 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Daz wrote:Please tell me there are people out there who think Danny Welbeck is as shit as I do. That being said, he'll likely go and score a hat trick now and end up knighted.

I can't stand him. I think he's shite. If he played for Palace and had the same scoring record and played exactly the same as he does now, calls for him to be in the England team would be laughed at. It's genuinely because he plays for Man United - Wes Brown was named in the England squad for years whilst at United, even when barely playing. As soon as he left United, he's never worn an England shirt since.

Last season, Danny Welbeck's scoring ratio was 4%. That's abysmal.

The thing that bothers me the most is his control and first touch. It's absolutely shocking. Every time the ball is played into his feet, he shovels it five yards in front of him and concedes possession. I think I have better control than him. It does make you wonder what the clowns in charge are seeing when they pick these players. The fact he was still getting picked ahead of Lambert and Grant Holt a few seasons ago, who were clearly in better form, playing and scoring week after week whilst Welbeck sat on the bench is beyond me. And people wonder why we're in a dogfight with the bloody Ukraine to qualify for the World Cup.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 1:29 pm

Townsend looks fucking quality. Also, agreed on Welbeck's first touch. He's a shite, Gerald from Hey Arnold lookalike.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Oct 15, '13, 1:37 pm

PorkChop wrote:Townsend looks fucking quality. Also, agreed on Welbeck's first touch. He's a shite, Gerald from Hey Arnold lookalike.

Townsend actually looks like he gives a shit, which makes a nice change for England.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 1:44 pm

Daz wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Townsend looks fucking quality. Also, agreed on Welbeck's first touch. He's a shite, Gerald from Hey Arnold lookalike.

Townsend actually looks like he gives a shit, which makes a nice change for England.

I don't really give a shit about England these days. In all honesty, I stopped being a fan of the national team in about 2006. When Rooney scored, I didn't even celebrate. I think that's because for so long, England themselves haven't cared about the national team.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Tom » Oct 15, '13, 2:05 pm

Been a decent game so far, and a good result. Hopefully England can go on and score a second early on in the second half. Poland still look like they could snatch a goal so it will be worrying if England don't take their chances.

I also agree on Townsend. The great thing about him as that he looks like he wants to win. It is like he is trying to prove a point that he deserves to start ahead of players like Walcott and Milner. I would like to see Barkley get a chance to come off the bench soon, just to see if he has the same kind of desire as Townsend has shown in an England jersey!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby Daz » Oct 15, '13, 2:14 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Daz wrote:

I don't really give a shit about England these days. In all honesty, I stopped being a fan of the national team in about 2006. When Rooney scored, I didn't even celebrate. I think that's because for so long, England themselves haven't cared about the national team.

That was my argument in regards to the Januzaj thing. It's hard enough to motivate English players, born in England, raised in England, lived in England their whole lives, who play for English clubs in an English league, to play and perform for England. So what on Earth would you expect from a Belgium kid who'd likely be playing for England as his third or fourth choice?

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '13, 2:21 pm

Daz wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
Daz wrote:

That was my argument in regards to the Januzaj thing. It's hard enough to motivate English players, born in England, raised in England, lived in England their whole lives, who play for English clubs in an English league, to play and perform for England. So what on Earth would you expect from a Belgium kid who'd likely be playing for England as his third or fourth choice?

Who is Januzaj anyway? He has one great game and then all of a sudden he's the country's utmost priority.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Daz » Oct 15, '13, 2:27 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Daz wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
Daz wrote:

Who is Januzaj anyway? He has one great game and then all of a sudden he's the country's utmost priority.

I know, it's insanity. if he weren't playing for Man Utd, nobody would give a flying toss.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 15, '13, 2:42 pm

Decent performance from Scotland so far, 2-0 up against Croatia. This is the least I've panicked during a Scotland game in a long time, we've been solid all around. Ikechi Anya looks a player.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Daz » Oct 15, '13, 2:56 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:Decent performance from Scotland so far, 2-0 up against Croatia. This is the least I've panicked during a Scotland game in a long time, we've been solid all around. Ikechi Anya looks a player.

Saw Snodgrass scored for Scotland. He's been horrendous for Norwich this year so I hope he had a better game for his country, and might bring that form back for Arsenal on Saturday.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » Oct 15, '13, 3:02 pm

Daz wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:Decent performance from Scotland so far, 2-0 up against Croatia. This is the least I've panicked during a Scotland game in a long time, we've been solid all around. Ikechi Anya looks a player.

Saw Snodgrass scored for Scotland. He's been horrendous for Norwich this year so I hope he had a better game for his country, and might bring that form back for Arsenal on Saturday.

Aye he did pretty well tonight I'd say. There was a bit of spotlight on him during the game, his daughter was born earlier in the week.

Not as horrific as it could have been for us in the grand scheme of things, we got 4th place in the group, above Wales at least. :lol Hopefully Scotland will continue to improve for the Euros. Strachan's done not too bad.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 15, '13, 7:39 pm

Hodgson gets criticism (rightly sometimes) but made the right RB choice of Smalling. Jones hasn't played there alot and isn't great and Smalling did sound tonight, defensively he's better which must be frustrating he can't play at club level more because Jagielka/Cahill are first choices but if they get injured then there's a slot available. Hopefully Smalling gets a chance at CB, really think he could muster up a solid success in that job.

Also, Carrick playing and doing well. With England, expect him to be dropped for the next game but hope he can play alongside Gerrard with Lampard/Wilshere accompanying them.

Townsend is much more threatening than Walcott on the wing for me. Theo has bundles of pace but feel Andros offers more; if I was a LB, I'd cack myself with Townsend more than Theo. Probably as a left footer he can go either way. I'd still say Theo atm due to experience but Townsend could pip him for the job if he continues to play well for Spurs.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer/Football