It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:22 pm

Brendan Dassey (known from Making a Murderer) just had his conviction overturned by a federal judge

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Brendan Dassey (known from Making a Murderer) just had his conviction overturned by a federal judge

Postby Everlong » Aug 12, '16, 2:49 pm

Huge breaking news out of Wisconsin right now. If you've seen Making a Murderer, you know all about Dassey. While there's question about Avery's guilt, there seems to be no question dassey was completely railroaded, and he's served a decade in prison as a result.

Right now it's hard to say whether he'll be released or granted a new trial but this is a huge step toward justice.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Brendan Dassey (known from Making a Murderer) just had his conviction overturned by a federal judge

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '16, 2:56 pm

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Re: Brendan Dassey (known from Making a Murderer) just had his conviction overturned by a federal judge

Postby Daz » Aug 12, '16, 3:16 pm

One of the most infuriating things about Making a Murderer was seeing how they completely headfucked him. Only problem now is if he does get a new trial, they'll have an impossible task trying to piece together a jury that isn't prejudicial one way or another.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '16, 3:21 pm

He's got a lot of WrestleManias to catch up on.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Aug 12, '16, 4:33 pm

Great news. He was fed to the dogs from the start.

I think Avery is guilty but Dassey clearly didn't play a part in anything.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby HFX » Aug 12, '16, 5:44 pm

As someone who has never watched this show and has no real desire to watch it, what's the deal with this guy and why has this show been all over my social media for months?

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby War Daddy » Aug 12, '16, 8:18 pm

http://www.bustle.com/articles/178444-b ... conviction

This motherfucker is claiming partial credit for the overturning of Dassey's conviction :angry4

War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Aug 13, '16, 3:32 am

HFX wrote:As someone who has never watched this show and has no real desire to watch it, what's the deal with this guy and why has this show been all over my social media for months?

Basically, Brendan Dassey has a few developmental issues and this resulted in him having an IQ of about 80. He doesn't really understand much, if anything at all. He's incredibly vulnerable and impressionable.

After a woman called Teresa Halbach was found dead and Dassey's uncle Steven Avery was jailed for it (on dubious grounds) the police turned to Dassey and coerced him into making a confession. They spoonfed him a bunch of lies about how Dassey helped Avery rape and murder Halbach, and Dassey just went along with it. Afterwards Dassey thought he was just able to go home - he wasn't able to understand that he'd just owned up to a murder and that there would be serious consequences for this. He wanted to go home and watch WrestleMania.

Brendan Dassey is totally innocent. He never had anything to do with the murder of Teresa Halbach but he's so vulnerable and impressionable and the police took advantage of that. He's been in jail now for the best part of 10 years for a murder he didn't commit, all because the police just needed a conviction. Dassey also had the most incompetent lawyer ever who just fed him to the dogs and didn't actually defend him at all, even when it was clear to see that he was innocent.

I advise you to watch Making a Murderer as it's a gripping series and definitely worth your time.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby DBSoT » Aug 13, '16, 6:05 am

Brandon Dassey's story is one of the hardest things to crack in this case. The kid is so mentally behind that it is very possible he was coerced into rape/murder and it is just as likely he was coerced into a confession for something he had no part in. Either way, I don't think he has the mental capacity to truly grasp what was going on. Dassey's lawyer was one of the worst I have ever seen.

With that said, I still think Steven Avery is guilty as shit. There are literally no other suspects. It is a sad story that his false rape conviction likely led to a lot of anger with the world that took his life away. Years in prison with some of the worst criminals can change a man and that it possibly what happened here.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Aug 13, '16, 8:24 am

DBSoT wrote:With that said, I still think Steven Avery is guilty as shit. There are literally no other suspects. It is a sad story that his false rape conviction likely led to a lot of anger with the world that took his life away. Years in prison with some of the worst criminals can change a man and that it possibly what happened here.

I still think he should be released from prison. Whether he did it or not is debatable. But what's not debatable is the fact that the investigation was completely fucked from the get go, the police had it out for him, and they absolutely planted evidence to ensure he'd be put in prison.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby DBSoT » Aug 13, '16, 9:12 am

^ You maybe right, but either way a murderer is in prison , so that is a win in my book.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Everlong » Aug 13, '16, 9:19 am

DBSoT wrote:^ You maybe right, but either way a murderer is in prison , so that is a win in my book.

What? No, definitely not either way. Because ther'es no definitive proof he did it, which means if he's in prison it could very well be wrongfully. Again.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Aug 13, '16, 11:19 am

I think Avery did it, but he still has reasonable doubt on his side.

He has a right to a fair trial and he absolutely didn't get that, so he shouldn't be in jail right now. His trial was a complete farce and the police definitely tampered with evidence. I'm 90% sure he's guilty regardless of the whirlwind of shitty policing which surrounded the case, but it's that 10% which says he could still be innocent which means I couldn't send him to jail - even though I suspect he did commit the crime.

When I did jury service a lot of people didn't understand the notion of reasonable doubt. It was a kiddyfiddling case between a 15 year old girl and a 50-something man. At best it was a 'he said / she said' trial with very little evidence to support either the prosecution or the defence. Some of the jurors voted guilty because the guy "looked like the type who would touch kids" and various other shitty reasons. I said in the deliberation room that it couldn't be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the accused was guilty, and a guy turned to me and said "Then why do you think we're here?" like it was our job to just vote guilty and go home, as opposed to actually sit and think about this logically. The other jurors were voting guilty based on his appearance and character rather than actual evidence, as if the lack of evidence didn't matter. It should've been thrown out of court to be honest, but alas.

I honestly don't know whether the guy did it. He might well have done, but that couldn't be proven beyond reasonable doubt. He ended up going to jail for it, but he shouldn't have done - even though the possibility that he committed the crime still exists. It's the same with Steven Avery. I'm almost completely sure he did it, but not totally. I don't think anyone can be totally sure of his guilt. Therefore he doesn't belong in jail right now - not until he gets a fair trial at least.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Aug 13, '16, 12:22 pm

Yeah, there's really not been any conclusive evidence at all to prove that he was guilty. And the reason that there aren't any other suspects is because the sheriff's department decided that it was Avery from the start, and the judge disallowed his lawyers from suggesting other suspects as part of his defense.

He seems like a bit of a dodgy character, but that's what made it so easy to wrongly convict him the first time too. Without definitive proof he shouldn't be behind bars because he very well could be innocent, no matter what your gut instinct is.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 13, '16, 12:58 pm

Having not watched it, I was under the impression Avery was nailed on for the murder but from above, it seems it's unconclusive.

Either way, it's a sad situation that it takes a TV documentary to show that maybe not all was well in this case compared to the people in charge of enacting the law to do their job in a honest manner.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Viazon » Aug 14, '16, 5:52 am

The scenes where they were interrogating him made me so angry. It was clear that he didn't really understand what was going on. He didn't know what he was doing and just owned up to it because they basically told him to. The part when he told his mum that he wanted to come home and watch Wrestlemania and her telling him that can't happen was heart breaking.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Return to News and Politics