It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 6:02 pm

Chilcott Inquiry on British involvement in Iraq War

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Chilcott Inquiry on British involvement in Iraq War

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 08, '16, 5:46 am

Everyone anti-war was expecting this a government white wash but tbh, it was quite critical of Tony Blair and his decision making process on going to war but the Inquiry couldn't say it was illegal as it wasn't set out to find out whether it was or not.

Blair overestimated the threat of Saddam it said, by using flawed intelligence; declassified documents showed Blair sent a memo to Bush eight months prior to war saying he'd be with him, whatever; no planning on post-war; no influence in post-war and all the accusations against Blair seem to be levied at him.

He, of course believes it was the right decision. That stance probably motivated by impending lawsuits if he was to say it was the wrong decision I'd imagine (nothing that income raking he generates for dictators wouldn't cover) but the media - especially those newspapers who were pro-war and were horribly brutal and vindictive to those anti-war - need to own up and apologise. But that won't happen.

Robin Cook, rightly remembered for his resignation prior to the war and said in a short speech what it has taken 7 years, 2.6m words, and to a cost of £10m for the Iraq Inquiry.

Cameron blathering on about lessons being learned yet his own military escapade in Libya has proven to be a great 'success'...

Iraq War was Blair's worst decision period and luckily for him, it's others (hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who died, British army personnel) who have and will suffer.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: Chilcott Inquiry on British involvement in Iraq War

Postby Daz » Jul 08, '16, 6:00 am

I think most of us knew this a decade ago. Blair pretty much has the blood of anyone killed during the so called war and killed/injured by ISIS since then on his hands.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby PorkChop » Jul 08, '16, 7:28 am

Blair won't face any charges though, so it doesn't really matter. He's still got away with it.

Somebody put on Twitter yesterday that we live in a country where the repercussions of being five minutes late to the job centre are worse than lying to the nation to go to war. How sad that is.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby War Daddy » Jul 08, '16, 11:04 am

PorkChop wrote:Blair won't face any charges though, so it doesn't really matter. He's still got away with it.

Somebody put on Twitter yesterday that we live in a country where the repercussions of being five minutes late to the job centre are worse than lying to the nation to go to war. How sad that is.

You live in America?

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Return to News and Politics