It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 1:46 am

50+ dead, 50+ more injured in shooting at Orlando gay club

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

50+ dead, 50+ more injured in shooting at Orlando gay club

Postby Everlong » Jun 12, '16, 9:07 am

On Pride weekend, even :O

Horrible story. Deadliest mass shooting in American history.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/12/us/orland ... index.html

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: 50+ dead, 50+ more injured in shooting at Orlando gay club

Postby Everlong » Jun 12, '16, 9:08 am

Early reports said 20 dead, 40 injured. Wow.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Daz » Jun 12, '16, 10:01 am

Unfortunately, this, like all the other shootings in America, will do nothing to change gun laws. This insanity will continue, as it has, and will likely only get worse.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 10:06 am

Daz wrote:Unfortunately, this, like all the other shootings in America, will do nothing to change gun laws. This insanity will continue, as it has, and will likely only get worse.

Let the bodies get cold before you start taking away people's guns.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby The Legend » Jun 12, '16, 10:11 am

Daz wrote:Unfortunately, this, like all the other shootings in America, will do nothing to change gun laws. This insanity will continue, as it has, and will likely only get worse.

Yeah, right up until the point where you realize this was an act of foreign terrorism by an ISIS member. So yeah, let's talk about American gun laws.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Jun 12, '16, 10:12 am

Circled Square wrote:

Let the bodies get cold before you start taking away people's guns.

Why does it matter?
The Legend wrote:

Yeah, right up until the point where you realize this was an act of foreign terrorism by an ISIS member. So yeah, let's talk about American gun laws.

The shooter was born in the US.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 10:19 am

A potential radicalized Muslim if this video is anything to go by. Orlando seems to have some bad apples within their Muslim community.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qBlwxqqAprQ[/youtube]

Who knows though. Give it time.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Daz » Jun 12, '16, 10:37 am

The Legend wrote:

What the fuck would it matter? This isn't the only shooting to take place this weekend in Orlando. And the shooter was born in the US and used a gun he likely acquired in the US. How many shootings have taken place in the United States during the existence of this forum? Enough for us to go through these types of threads time and time and time again. American Gun laws should absolutely be talked about because they are absolutely ridiculous. how cold do the bodies have to get before someone does fucking something?

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 10:41 am

You don't ban guns from regular Americans because some neckbeard kills a celebrity and because some bigot shoots up a gay bar. If you don't trust the population with guns, why trust them with cars when I can turn left and mow people down on a sidewalk. Apparently this asshole was on an FBI watch list for being an isis sympathizer. That's not enough to go by yet but the story being pieced together is not looking good.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 10:45 am

Again, though - I don't want to shit on Muslims yet until the facts emerge. Hopefully it's just an unorganized loon who got lucky.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Daz » Jun 12, '16, 10:46 am

Circled Square wrote:You don't ban guns from regular Americans because some neckbeard kills a celebrity and because some bigot shoots up a gay bar. If you don't trust the population with guns, why trust them with cars when I can turn left and mow people down on a sidewalk. Apparently this asshole was on an FBI watch list for being an isis sympathizer. That's not enough to go by yet but the story being pieced together is not looking good.

Cars and guns aren't remotely the same thing. A car wasn't designed to be a weapon. Frankly I wouldn't trust a regular American with a gun. I wouldn't trust you with a gun. I wouldn't trust anyone with a gun, including myself. Because it's a fucking gun.

Furthermore, why should regular Americans have guns? Seriously, one good reason why should you be able to purchase an automatic weapon other than "it says I can in the second amendment."?

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 11:00 am

I have guns here locked in a safe spot. I can get them if somebody breaks in, if j decide to renew my hunting license, I trust myself with a gun. If I took a knife outside I'm not going to be worried I'll go on a mass stabbing spree, lmao. Plus guns have safeties on them so you won't accidentally pull the trigger. Again, we don't trust people with guns but give them a four thousand pound vehicle that can fill an entire sidewalk. Plus it hadn't been confirmed where the gun is from. Could be totally legal, could be a gun found out of circulation, who knows. And this designed to kill argument is strange to me, who cares? A flare gun isn't made to klli but if someone popped it off in my eye it'd probably kill me. It doesn't matter what it's built to do, if it can be used to kill effectively it might as well be considered a weapon when put in the wrong hands. .

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 11:04 am

Security, sport, guns are a hobby for a lot of people. If I want to take an AR-15 to the range I don't see why I shouldn't be able to. Should they be sold to people with mental illnesses or a violent criminal record? No. Remember if you ban guns they don't evaporate into thin air. There's still going to be assault rifles in circulation regardless.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Daz » Jun 12, '16, 11:14 am

Circled Square wrote:I have guns here locked in a safe spot. I can get them if somebody breaks in, if j decide to renew my hunting license, I trust myself with a gun. If I took a knife outside I'm not going to be worried I'll go on a mass stabbing spree, lmao. Plus guns have safeties on them so you won't accidentally pull the trigger. Again, we don't trust people with guns but give them a four thousand pound vehicle that can fill an entire sidewalk. Plus it hadn't been confirmed where the gun is from. Could be totally legal, could be a gun found out of circulation, who knows. And this designed to kill argument is strange to me, who cares? A flare gun isn't made to klli but if someone popped it off in my eye it'd probably kill me. It doesn't matter what it's built to do, if it can be used to kill effectively it might as well be considered a weapon when put in the wrong hands. .

Anything could be considered a weapon when put in the wrong hands, you are right there, but how many people get mass killed with a flare gun? It's harder to mass kill with a knife and it'd be harder to mass kill 50 people in the span of a minute or two with a golf club etc. To answer your question, I care.

A gun was designed to kill, that's an undeniable fact. You can put safeties on a gun to stop accidental shootings, but it takes less than a second to flip the switch and take those safeties away. We're not talking about an accident here, we're talking about a mass shooting. It may have been committed by an extremist, and the other shooting I mentioned may have been committed by an obsessed neckbear, but again, the undeniable fact is they happened. They likely wouldn't have happened if guns weren't in such heavy circulation or if they couldn't get the hands on them at Wal-Mart. These shootings happen with stunning regularity in America, and because you like to go hunting and lock your guns in a safe, really doesn't mean much when people are losing their lives.

EDIT: The guns are in such heavy circulation because this has been allowed to continue for decades at this point, despite numerous mass shootings in that time period. It's not an easy fix, saying guns are illegal and expecting things to change overnight. The problem is when people shift the buck to "mental health issues" and divert attention away from it. You can call for tighter control, put metal detectors and armed guards outside schools, invest more money put into helping people with mental health and any other argument that doesn't directly address the weapon itself, but seriously, how often does someone have to get shot before some action is taken to actually prevent this sort of thing from happening?

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 11:20 am

I don't buy into the argument that we should ban guns because bad people use them. I see why people think like that. To me it's like punishing the good guy for the acts of the bad guy. Criminals will still get guns, either ones that weren't mass collected if a weapon ban happened (God, how many shootings would that cause lol?) Or guns smuggled from Mexico. I think the solution is in the middle. Stop crazies from getting weapons via background checks. Have safety courses and check ups frequently if you have to. But don't take another freedom away from the people.

By the way one of the reasons why guns sre in circulation the way they are is because smuggling and in some states you can sell guns to people without any paper work which is fucking retarded.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 11:26 am

Are you implying that mental health doesn't play a part in these mass shootings?

Remeber Adam Lanza? Killed twenty children? He was literally described as a kid who slipped through the cracks. Mental health care has been in major decline since Reagan closed the hospitals in the 80s. Just imagine if the shooter of the gay club talked about his bigotry with a councillor? I bet his parents could have been strongly traditional which led to that problem in his integration. This would stop more than shootings, it'd help stop hate crime in general, mass stabbings, etc.

That way you don't have to disarm innocent people.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Jun 12, '16, 11:47 am

Daz wrote:
The Legend wrote:

What the fuck would it matter? This isn't the only shooting to take place this weekend in Orlando. And the shooter was born in the US and used a gun he likely acquired in the US. How many shootings have taken place in the United States during the existence of this forum? Enough for us to go through these types of threads time and time and time again. American Gun laws should absolutely be talked about because they are absolutely ridiculous. how cold do the bodies have to get before someone does fucking something?

Why does it matter that the guy was a radicalized Muslim whose religion taught him to hate the gay infidels and that they should all die? Why does it matter that his beliefs churned so much hate in this man that he joined a terrorist group and called 911 to pledge his allegiance to said group before killing all those people? Why does all that matter more than what country he bought a gun in and whether buying the gun was legal or illegal?

YOU ARE KIDDING ME, RIGHT?!?!?!

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Daz » Jun 12, '16, 12:04 pm

The Legend wrote:
Daz wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Why does it matter that the guy was a radicalized Muslim whose religion taught him to hate the gay infidels and that they should all die? Why does it matter that his beliefs churned so much hate in this man that he joined a terrorist group and called 911 to pledge his allegiance to said group before killing all those people? Why does all that matter more than what country he bought a gun in and whether buying the gun was legal or illegal?

YOU ARE KIDDING ME, RIGHT?!?!?!

No, I don't think it matters that much. The same way it didn't matter that a white guy shot up a church in South Carolina to start a race war. Fact is, he was a US citizen and could have obtained a gun legally (or not) - he could have broken into his neighbour's house and stolen one for all I know, my points is it's too easy to acquire a gun in the US), and shot whoever he damned well wanted whether it was for ISIS or not. The fact he was a radicalized Muslim is unfortunate for the Muslim community and even more unfortunate because his terrorists links are going to detract from the conversation of gun control laws which could help prevent another mass shooting in the future.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » Jun 12, '16, 12:16 pm

Was gun control a problem in France and Belgium?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Daz » Jun 12, '16, 12:18 pm

Circled Square wrote:Was gun control a problem in France and Belgium?

Suicide vests were a problem in France and Belgium. They also didn't have a 101 mass shootings prior to those events. They were the exception, not the rule.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Next

Return to News and Politics