It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 2:41 am

The worst thing about the EU referendum

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

The worst thing about the EU referendum

Postby PorkChop » Apr 16, '16, 9:21 am

So for anyone who hasn't heard, Britain will soon be holding a referendum about leaving the EU. I'll be voting to stay in, but we may actually be leaving. My biggest concern though is how the whole process has brought out the worst in people.

Immigration has been a hot topic in this country for a long time, and most people's arguments for voting out does tend to be purely for immigration reasons. I don't think it's racist to have concerns about immigration, but I find that many people who speak about their concerns about immigration are just using the subject as a way to air their thinly-veiled racist opinions.

Nobody here really understands or cares about the pros and cons of EU membership. A lot of the people I've spoken to don't really care about the massive impact it would have on the UK in terms of taxes, trade and jobs, because they only care about getting the scary brown people out. They might as well change the polling card to "Do you hate brown people and want them to go away? YES [ ] NO [ ]"

Remember, as many of us Brits can move to Spain and southern France as we like, but no bloody foreigners are allowed in here.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: The worst thing about the EU referendum

Postby Circled Square » Apr 16, '16, 10:50 am

Independence comes with sacrifice. I'd imagine those voting against the EU are willing to live with it. To me, I'd get out of it. It just stinks of a precursor to a one Europe government.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Apr 16, '16, 1:18 pm

I'm sure a lot of the people voting for independence have good reasons, but I'd agree that many of them are likely doing so out of racism or strong nationalist ideals, without actually considering the consequences.

Not being in the EU is going to have a big effect on Britain. Immigration will be effected but so will trade, taxation, the laws of the country, and a whole bunch more. It could have Scotland clamouring for their independence again, so they can rejoin the EU on their own.

Here in Ireland we're paying close attention to the referendum because it could have a massive knock on effect on us too. Britain are by far our largest trade partner, our closest neighbour and home to many of our emigrants. Their leaving the EU could have an impact on our economy too.

So I'm probably on the same side as a lot of Irish people in hoping that Britain remains part of the EU. But I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm interested in how it's going to shake out in any case.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 16, '16, 2:29 pm

Yes, definitely voting in but yes not only is the debate about immigration but also individuals, suggesting to leave so we "can have our own laws" in relation to the Human Rights Act.

But I would hope that the vote in/out campaigns are focusing on all issues rather than pandering to fears about immigration. I've read alot of coverage of businesses and the economy which is good to see because many people aren't even thinking about the whole picture of leaving - just on immigration.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Daz » Apr 16, '16, 2:52 pm

People are thinking purely based on thinly veiled racism, and don't seem to realize that leaving will result in real detriments to their ever day life. It's all well and good bleating on about the bloody Muslims and the Polish neighbour you don't like, but it doesn't actually effect any aspect on your life.

All this bollocks makes me want to bang my head against the wall, and I've yet to see one realistic, sensible argument as a reason to leave the EU.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Viazon » Apr 17, '16, 3:45 am

What annoys me is that I know so many people out work who wants to stop immigrants from coming to out country who are descendants from immigrants themselves. My dad is an immigrant. So when I hear people say this sort of stuff, it pisses me off.

People seem to forget that immigration is a basic human right. If a person decides that they want to leave the country they live in and move to another one, then they are allowed to. As long as you go there to work and not scrounge of benefits or whatever, then you're welcome in my eyes. And you have to respect our ways and our culture. This by no means that you need to forget your own. I wouldn't expect that if any immigrant. But just respect that different cultures are different. I would expect any person moving to any country to at least try and adapt to their way of living.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 17, '16, 3:36 pm

So last night I saw Ian Botham trending on Twitter. I thought either a) his Twitter has been 'hacked' into again and he's been sending naked pictures of himself or b) he's been caught having an affair.

Nope, it turns out he's joined the Brexit camp. A brief quote of his talked about 'governing ourselves' (don't we do that already?), 'our own laws'. So many people will be joining Brexit because of Beefy, I'm sure............

Not surprised, he's always had that look of being a secret UKIP supporter.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Circled Square » Apr 18, '16, 5:46 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... surge.html

Literally admitting to censoring anti EU opinions lmao. I don't know enough of the British Brexit campaign to say if this article will have an affect, but it's certainly something for the Brexit people to use.

A Brexit doesn't mean a complete goodbye to Europe. It means it will hastened EU demise, and the future possibility to rebuild a European-Partnership instead. Based on trade and multinational (NOT supernational) corporation.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Return to News and Politics