It is currently: May 04, '24, 11:59 am

How much contact do any of you have with Muslims?

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

How much contact do any of you have with Muslims?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 27, '13, 12:02 pm

Reading Tim's comment in the terror attack in Russia thread, made me think abit more.

As a Muslim myself and a forum we have which is very diverse (mainly US but some contributions from across the pond, Australia, Canada etc) I just wanted to ask how much contact any of you have with Muslims. And your general experiences.

I'm just intrigued to know.

Also, I have friends on Facebook who say "I've got no problems with Muslims - I've got Muslims mates" then when a terrorist attack happens that just happens to include a small minority and not representative of the wider faith occurs then these people on Facebook go "OMG - FUCK MUSLIMS" "GET THEM OUT OF COUNTRY" "IF YOU DON'T LIKE OUR COUNTRY THEN FUCK OFF".

And it's baffling to me - I think why can't you think of the positive experiences you've had with Muslims and not tarr them with the same brush.

Anyways, look forward to thoughts and view and experiences.

;)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: How much contact do any of you have with Muslims?

Postby Everlong » Nov 27, '13, 12:17 pm

I got to know quite a few Muslims in my years at college, as the University of Wisconsin has an incredibly diverse student body in terms of ethnicity and religion. I found most of them to be extremely kind and generally quieter, excellent students and pretty unassuming in nature. I only regularly hung out with a few of these, but yeah, a fair amount of contact.

These days I don't run into many as Milwaukee isn't exactly a Muslim hotbed. And that's probably a good thing - Milwaukee isn't exactly the most accepting city of people with ethnic differences.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 27, '13, 12:25 pm

Don't know any.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby PorkChop » Nov 27, '13, 12:26 pm

I don't have much contact with Muslims whilst at university, where I spend most of my time. I go to uni in the south of England where there isn't a particularly big Muslim contingent. Back at home in the Midlands though I know plenty of Muslims, and our former neighbours were Muslims who were one of the nicest families I've ever met. I'm still friends with their son who was probably the most naturally talented footballer I've ever played with, but he chose not to pursue a career in it. He's studying to be a nurse now though, so fair play.

I hate that Muslims get such a bad reputation for the actions of a few extremists. Extremists exist in all other religions too. Islam fascinates me (I'm doing my dissertation on it) and I can't stand people who constantly trash it.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 27, '13, 12:53 pm

PorkChop wrote:I'm still friends with their son who was probably the most naturally talented footballer I've ever played with, but he chose not to pursue a career in it.

I hate that Muslims get such a bad reputation for the actions of a few extremists. Extremists exist in all other religions too. Islam fascinates me (I'm doing my dissertation on it) and I can't stand people who constantly trash it.

What?! Man if I had any chance of talent playing football I would have gone down that route most definitely! Shame but everyone's different I guess.

Great that you're doing your dissertation on Islam (would love a read of that at its completion) and you're right, but I always have hope that people who see beyond the headlines can focus on what they know rather than what the media tells them. I've only got the odd FB moron but majority of my non-Muslim friends are sound.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Nov 28, '13, 2:49 am

Being a fuckwit transcends religious beliefs, sexuality, race or gender.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Matteo » Nov 28, '13, 4:33 am

I know a few. I have actually had numerous discussions with Muslims at university (which is a very culturally and religiously diverse environment), and they've often spoken about the misconstrued nature of Islam. One of my mates said only a fracture of a minority of Islamists are 'radicals'. This is very true. There is no doubt the Western media incorporate a lot of Islamophobic content in their reporting, and this hinders the views of many people.

In saying that, however, I don't think it's right Muslims can practise the extremities of their religion in a country where Islam is not the official state religion. In fact, I don't condone it at all, even in isolated states such as Saudi Arabia.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Viazon » Nov 28, '13, 5:53 am

I work in a very diverse work place with lots of different ethnics and religions, so I work with quite a few Muslims. Like with any other people, some of them are dicks, some of them are nice. That has nothing to do with them being Muslims. That's just because they are people.

There are a lot of ignorant people in the world and a lot of them don't seem to understand that not all Muslims are terrorists.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby PorkChop » Nov 28, '13, 9:11 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:
PorkChop wrote:I'm still friends with their son who was probably the most naturally talented footballer I've ever played with, but he chose not to pursue a career in it.

What?! Man if I had any chance of talent playing football I would have gone down that route most definitely! Shame but everyone's different I guess.

Great that you're doing your dissertation on Islam (would love a read of that at its completion) and you're right, but I always have hope that people who see beyond the headlines can focus on what they know rather than what the media tells them. I've only got the odd FB moron but majority of my non-Muslim friends are sound.

I can definitely send it your way when it's done mate, you might have to wait about 6 months though :lol

It's specifically about Islam and women, and the gender issues facing contemporary Islam. A majority Western women (particularly Western feminists) seem to perceive Muslim women as victims of oppression due to the burqa/hijab, male polygamy laws etc, which is where Islam draws a lot of criticism. However, a lot of Muslim women seem to believe that Western women are infact more oppressed, due to a constantly sexualised image, amongst plenty of other factors. The gist of my dissertation is basically that the gender issues facing contemporary Islam are not as straight forward as they seem, as the Western legacy of androcentrism, though differing in it's specifics, is no better.

EDIT: It's pretty funny that's my chosen subject, actually. After all, Pork and Islam don't really mix.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby GNR » Nov 28, '13, 10:02 am

I was born and raised a Muslim, and although I don't really identify with the culture anymore, I have respect for the people and the faith.

GNR Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 18

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 28, '13, 11:28 am

NoDQ wrote:In saying that, however, I don't think it's right Muslims can practise the extremities of their religion in a country where Islam is not the official state religion. In fact, I don't condone it at all, even in isolated states such as Saudi Arabia.

Saudi is probably the closest representation of an Islamic state even though certain aspects of their teaching is OTT but Pakistan, Iran and other states proclaim they are the "Islamic Republic of" but they're not in reality. They are Muslim majority countries but not really a secular state.

Porkchop - your work sounds interesting. If I'm around, look forward to a read ;)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Return to News and Politics