It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:09 am

35 of Bill Cosby accusers speak to New York magazine

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

35 of Bill Cosby accusers speak to New York magazine

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jul 27, '15, 1:38 pm

The pressure, if it wasn't on Cosby already, has ratcheted up with this striking front cover.

The statue limitation is interesting, so let's say if there was some new evidence that came forward in a case - it wouldn't be allowed to be heard because of its claim expiry? Or is there a chance for new evidence to be heard.

Admittedly, not a Cosby follower at all but besides making the noise, looks unlikely any of his alleged victims will get their chance in court.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: 35 of Bill Cosby accusers speak to New York magazine

Postby Everlong » Jul 27, '15, 2:49 pm

Man, has there been a bigger fall from grace in recent memory than Cosby? The guy was beloved by EVERYONE just a year ago, and his fall has been almost unbelievable.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Hanley! » Jul 27, '15, 4:42 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:The statue limitation is interesting, so let's say if there was some new evidence that came forward in a case - it wouldn't be allowed to be heard because of its claim expiry? Or is there a chance for new evidence to be heard.

I imagine that due to the statute of limitations, they can't take a civil action against Cosby. I'm not sure how things work in America, but in the UK & Ireland the statute of limitations for abuse is 2 years, unless the victim is under 18, in which case it's 2 years from whatever date they turn 18.

I'm not entirely sure, but I imagine if actual evidence arose now that it could be used to bring a criminal case against Cosby, and if that happened these women might be permitted to testify against him. I could be wrong on that though, I don't have a particularly solid grasp on how the American judicial system works.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 30, '18, 9:57 am

I watched this programme today and as I said in my original post, wasn't fully invested in Cosby and his journey as this dominating figure in American culture at his peak. I mean, it was an extraordinary journey to go from stand-up to actor to writer of a popular TV show, to philanthropy to igniting African American studies at colleges to his fall from grace.

I didn't realise just how big he was and the influence had as an African American but his criminality had similar thinking to Harvey Weinstein where both men knew that their power would mean they could take advantage of ambitious women who had the temerity to dream big and achieve their goals and - thought - Cosby could genuinely help.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Return to News and Politics