It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 1:39 am

no charges for Ferguson police officer involved with brown shooting

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Re: no charges for Ferguson police officer involved with brown shooting

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Nov 25, '14, 7:10 pm

The Legend wrote:Here's the thing that's tough to get behind. A grand jury typically would indict a ham sandwich. That's the line that is always used. The barrier of evidence for a grand jury to come back with a indictment and a path to trial is typically so low that when they don't come back with one in this case it's troubling.

Boom, that's it. There's this thing called "beyond a reasonable doubt" in America and at the end of the day, there was a lot of errors and question marks regarding the evidence, testimonies, etc in this case.

I don't know how much credibility this has but apparently the prosecutor for this case was the one that started the fund to donate money for Wilson. If that's true, this case was rigged.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 155

Postby Westcoastvibes » Nov 25, '14, 7:22 pm

The Legend wrote:^^^ Here's the thing. All that I read of your account means things were in question. Is that a fair assessment? That things were unclear? If things were unclear then it is the role of a jury to decide those questions. The grand jury should have seen that it was enough to question what happened. The only time an indictment shouldn't be filed is when it is blatantly obvious that the person in question didn't commit a crime.

From wiki

To protect the suspect's due-process rights in felony cases (where the suspect's interest in liberty is at stake), there is usually a preliminary hearing, at which a judge determines whether there was probable cause to arrest the suspect who is in custody. If the judge finds such probable cause, he or she binds, or holds over, the suspect for trial.

The substance of an indictment or other charging instrument is usually the same, regardless of the jurisdiction: it consists of a short and plain statement of where, when, and how the defendant allegedly committed the offense. Each offense usually is set out in a separate count. Indictments for complex crimes, particularly those involving conspiracy or numerous counts, may run to hundreds of pages. However in other cases an indictment for a crime as serious as murder, may consist of a single sheet of paper.

in this case you have to remember that the offense in question is not the killing itself but if the officer killed without cause. The evidence is not clear enough to say yes or no and the grand jury is doing the same thing a judge would do prior to a case being heard, the only difference is the grand jury eliminates the courtroom, high priced lawyers, ect

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 98

Postby SortaCreative » Nov 25, '14, 7:24 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:designed to protect the innocent from being wrongfully imprisoned.

just like those lads in Guantanamo Bay :lol

To be fair, the lack of evidence is a shame because he needed to be punished for what he did. There needed to be a step in the right direction for the people of Ferguson, this wasn't it. I honestly think people just chanting "this is the system, it works" are deluded. Clearly the system is broken when a black man can get shot and nothing is done about it.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DBSoT » Nov 25, '14, 7:35 pm

The Legend wrote:^^^ Here's the thing. All that I read of your account means things were in question. Is that a fair assessment? That things were unclear? If things were unclear then it is the role of a jury to decide those questions. The grand jury should have seen that it was enough to question what happened. The only time an indictment shouldn't be filed is when it is blatantly obvious that the person in question didn't commit a crime.
This is basically my opinion as well. So much could have been avoided if they would have just gone to trial. I know the argument is "there wasn't enough evidence", but if only 11 cases out of 162,000 have been thrown out you would think the standards are quite low. The people I feel the worst for are the Brown family and the people who tried to protest peacefully, but they were overshadowed by morons looting and destroying property. This is also the fault of the people who released the report at night. If the report came out in the afternoon then the rioting would not have been as severe and the peaceful protestors could have been interviewed by the news stations.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby DBSoT » Nov 25, '14, 7:37 pm

SortaCreative wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:designed to protect the innocent from being wrongfully imprisoned.

This is not even close to the same thing and that's an ignorant comment to make.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby The Legend » Nov 25, '14, 7:54 pm

DBSoT wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:

This is not even close to the same thing and that's an ignorant comment to make.

That's OK. It's a shot against America, which makes it a fair comment to make on this board.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Westcoastvibes » Nov 25, '14, 8:47 pm

I do have a question for the board, a honest question, no poking at anyone or trolling.

It's apparent that the facts and evidence of this case are contradictory and cloudy at best. With all this debate on if Wilson was just or unjust in the shooting, why is there no debate on browns side? It's just as cloudy and controversial regarding his roll in this, was he innocent or was he aggressive and combative?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby SortaCreative » Nov 25, '14, 8:56 pm

DBSoT wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:

I'm well aware they're not the same thing. Talk of justice and right to due process is ripe for me taking the piss tbh :D

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby The Legend » Nov 25, '14, 9:12 pm

Westcoastvibes wrote:I do have a question for the board, a honest question, no poking at anyone or trolling.

It's apparent that the facts and evidence of this case are contradictory and cloudy at best. With all this debate on if Wilson was just or unjust in the shooting, why is there no debate on browns side? It's just as cloudy and controversial regarding his roll in this, was he innocent or was he aggressive and combative?

We'll never know because he will never get his day in court.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Westcoastvibes » Nov 25, '14, 10:00 pm

The Legend wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:I do have a question for the board, a honest question, no poking at anyone or trolling.

Wow, really?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Nov 25, '14, 11:05 pm

This uncertainty is one of the reasons why there needed to be the chance for each side to present their opinions in a jury trial. We don't know for sure what the deal was with Brown. We don't know for sure what happened with the cop. It's just a shitty situation all around.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 26, '14, 8:44 am

I'm hesitant to wade into these waters as I haven't followed this closely enough to know all the facts that have been presented.

I just wonder if it had been a black cop who had shot an unarmed white kid what the reaction would have been? Would it have been just as wild? Would no one have batted an eye? I just think sometimes when issues of racism come up like this people have a tendency to not think 100% rationally. How many of the rioters even have a good knowledge of the case? How many of them were just people who heard a black kid got shot while he was unarmed by a white cop and wanted an excuse to raise some hell?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Nov 26, '14, 8:49 am

Str8Shooter wrote:How many of them were just people who heard a black kid got shot while he was unarmed by a white cop and wanted an excuse to raise some hell?

There's definitely an element of that in this case, but it's the Ferguson P.D.'s own fault that they've allowed this mob mentality to grow. Had they taken appropriate action early on in the case and actually made an effort to show that they care about uncovering the facts and finding justice, this wouldn't have blown up nearly as huge as it did.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby The Legend » Nov 26, '14, 9:26 am

Westcoastvibes wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Wow, really?

Yes, really. What is so shocking about that statement? Isn't it true?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby UTK » Nov 26, '14, 10:31 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:this case was rigged.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby Westcoastvibes » Nov 26, '14, 12:15 pm

The Legend wrote:
Westcoastvibes wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Wow, really?

Yes, really. What is so shocking about that statement? Isn't it true?

I didn't mean browns side from brown, I am guessing you could have figured that out but you still decided to post a smart ass comment anyways.

We didn't hear from Wilson until after the indictment decision yet the country has been in a uproar over if he was righteous in his actions or not. However, there seams to be no debate on if the accusations against brown are correct or not, even though the evidence for and against brown is just as confusing and conflicted. This seems more like let's nail to white cop to the cross than an actual issue of right and wrong for either party.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Nov 26, '14, 12:27 pm

I don't know all the facts to this case.

The only thing I know for sure is rioting is stupid and will solve nothing. You are unhappy with the decision? Why destroy and innocent persons store? That's the part that's stupid to me. I'm willing to bet most of the people rioting don't give a shit about the case.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby The Legend » Nov 26, '14, 12:32 pm

It wasn't intended to be a smartass comment just reality.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Nov 26, '14, 12:59 pm

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Nov 26, '14, 1:21 pm

Viazon wrote:I don't know all the facts to this case.

The only thing I know for sure is rioting is stupid and will solve nothing. You are unhappy with the decision? Why destroy and innocent persons store? That's the part that's stupid to me. I'm willing to bet most of the people rioting don't give a shit about the case.

Not that I agree with it but a lot of the civil rights leaders in America encouraged to fight back against injustice. Malcom X said "Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Sitting around and praying for change isn't going to help. The longer we sit around, the longer this injustice continues.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

PreviousNext

Return to News and Politics