It is currently: May 02, '24, 12:31 am

Mother labelled 'tramp' for breastfeeding in public.

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Mother labelled 'tramp' for breastfeeding in public.

Postby Twister » Mar 10, '14, 4:30 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-26519660

I'm really disgusted at this, the poor woman must have been mortified when she saw a photo of herself that was taken without her knowledge appear on Facebook solely for the purpose of ridiculing her. At a glance you can't even tell that she's breastfeeding as there's nothing on show in the first place and it's not like she's hurting anyone or flapping her tits all over the place. There's just no excuse for such a shitty attitude towards a woman feeding her baby in this day and age.

I also love how someone actually told her to have some dignity and breastfeed her baby in a public toilet, what exactly is dignified about feeding a baby in the toilet? :facepalm

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 56

Re: Mother labelled 'tramp' for breastfeeding in public.

Postby Buck » Mar 10, '14, 9:56 pm

Unfortunately people always pick on mothers who breastfeed in public. Why? Because they're assholes, and that's life.

Nothing they can do about it though. Breastfeeding in public is perfectly legal, and for good reason. It's by far the healthiest way to go for both mother and baby alike. Among other things, it's been proven to reduce the risk of obesity, digestive diseases, acute childhood diseases, and improve cognitive and visual development in babies, as well as reduce the risk of breast cancer and osteoporosis in the nursing mother.

If you have a problem with it, that means you want babies to starve to death. That's a slow and painful death, for poor little innocent infants. For those of you keeping score at home, that makes you worse than Hitler.

Ok that was a bit of an exaggeration (slightly), but still, fact remains, a baby's gotta eat, and if a baby gets hungry in public and you don't have any premixed baby formula laying around (which despite modern technology is still nowhere near as good for the baby as natural breast milk), well, then bottoms up.

In closing, I leave you with this plate of cookies.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 26

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 2:39 am

^^ Well said, I agree 100%. Those cookies look delicious by the way :lol

There's been a pretty big reaction to this on Facebook with the majority in support of the woman in question which is great to see, obviously you get the odd idiot who thinks it should be done 'in private' or that a woman should express into a bottle (easier said than done). I really hope the moron who took and then posted the photo on the internet feels very silly now as all this has done is raise the profile of breastfeeding more, which can only be a good thing as bf rates in the UK are shockingly low. Not that he/she will ever reveal themselves and apologise.

I brestfed my daughter for 12months and I was lucky enough not to receive any negative reactions if I had to feed her whilst out and about, at least not to my face anyway. Things like this happening could potentially turn people off wanting to breastfeed, which is very sad.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 11, '14, 2:56 am

I think it quite horrific to see a woman breast feed, particularly in a restaurant.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 5:39 am

Don't like it don't look, simple :fu

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Kein » Mar 11, '14, 1:17 pm

While I understand breastfeeding is a necessity for babies and is healthy for them I don't see why parents cant bring a thin cloth to cover the babies head while they breast feed. My sister has a child and we were waiting in line to get Santa pictures and he was getting fussy, well fuck everyone else, she just pops out a boob and pulls the baby over trying to get his attention to start feeding. It was pretty mortifying, there was a lot of awkwardness in line, a lot of people not sure where to look, if they should say anything, etc.

Would you find it acceptable if a nudist hung out where you were? Cause to them that's natural.

Like I said, I know it's natural but that doesn't mean I go pissing in public because its natural, I find a toilet. Covering with a towel is more than enough but letting your boob flop out and the baby is crying and you are exposed and he wont take the nipple in his mouth to feed and its causing a scene... Cover up.

Kein Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 15

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 1:43 pm

Most women who breastfeed don't go round flapping their tits about when it's time to feed baby, those who do are the ones who give everyone else a bad name. I never once used a blanket (my daughter simply wouldn't have stood for it she hates having things on her head) but I was always discreet and can safely say that if anyone saw anything then they must have been looking to hard. I fed in restaurants, parks, shopping centres, etc. If I were in your sisters situation I would have left the line and found somewhere to sit to feed, I think most breastfeeding mothers would in that situation, standing up to bf is difficult for a start.

Please don't compare breastfeeding to urinating in public, whilst they are both natural acts they are not comparable at all. One is providing nutrition and comfort, the other is excreting a human waste product. There isn't a puddle of milk left behind when a mother finishes feeding their child. I don't think there is any need for a woman to 'cover up' when there are plenty of other ways to breastfeed discretely (unless of course using a cover is what the mother feels comfortable doing), there are nursing tops you can buy as well as other methods to ensure you expose as little as possible. If you click the article you will see that the mother in question is also being discreet without the use of a cover. It is possible.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 11, '14, 1:58 pm

Twister wrote:Don't like it don't look, simple :fu

Bit hard when it's immediately in front of you in a restaurant.

Twister wrote:
Please don't compare breastfeeding to urinating in public, whilst they are both natural acts they are not comparable at all. One is providing nutrition and comfort, the other is excreting a human waste product. There isn't a puddle of milk left behind when a mother finishes feeding their child. I don't think there is any need for a woman to 'cover up' when there are plenty of other ways to breastfeed discretely (unless of course using a cover is what the mother feels comfortable doing), there are nursing tops you can buy as well as other methods to ensure you expose as little as possible. If you click the article you will see that the mother in question is also being discreet without the use of a cover. It is possible.

So providing I'm pissing into someone's mouth, I'm all good. :golfclap

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 3:48 pm

How is pissing into someone's mouth nutritional and comforting? :facepalm

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Mar 11, '14, 4:05 pm

Twister wrote:How is pissing into someone's mouth nutritional and comforting? :facepalm

Depends who you ask.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Mar 11, '14, 4:11 pm

Twister wrote:How is pissing into someone's mouth nutritional and comforting? :facepalm

I feel it would be better not to answer this question.

I'm in agreement that mothers shouldn't be disrespected in this way, simply for breast feeding their child. Calling this particular woman a tramp, because she discreetly fed her baby, kind of out of the way, is a gross over reaction. It says more about the person who said it, than it says about the mother.

That being said, I do feel like there are places you probably shouldn't breastfeed, just out of respect for other people. Yes, you're providing comfort and nutrition, but you and your baby aren't the only people in the world. I think if you're in a restaurant etc. you probably shouldn't be breastfeeding.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 4:25 pm

:lol I guess Porkchop.

At the end of the day if a baby is hungry it needs feeding, if i'm eating a meal in a restaurant i'm not going to leave my meal or make the baby wait (which would cause even more of a stir because it would be screaming) when I can easily feed it right there and then (discreetly, by the way). It's perfectly legal to do so and in the UK it's classed as sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because they are breastfeeding, by law an establishment isn't allowed to refuse a service or ask someone to leave because they are breastfeeding (this includes restaurants). I don't agree with these women who make a point of making a song and dance about it but at the same time I do believe they are the minority, most bfing mothers just want to be able to feed their hungry baby without making a scene or drawing attention to themselves. Which is what the woman in the article was doing until some ignorant pratt took a photo and plastered it on the internet for the sole purpose of ridiculing her.

I'm guessing you wouldn't say it's unacceptable to bottle feed a baby in a restaurant? Breastfeeding serves the exact same purpose does it not? It's just food.

Last edited by Twister on Mar 11, '14, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 11, '14, 4:31 pm

I would say it's an over-reaction to label a mother's duty to feed her child via her breast as a "tramp". Says much about the guy who posted the picture tbh.

Ideally, I'd say that mothers should breast-feed in a more discreet setting. But it can be difficult at times so as long as the breast isn't flapping out then it's not a major biggie but I'd feel abit awkward whether it was discreet or not but that's me.

But wouldn't it be that bad if you breast-fed a child in the ladies (provided it wasn't dirty and disgusting as the gents is probably is) because at least there wouldn't be that awkwardness and it's not as if you'd be sat on the bog breast-feeding, sure you could do it standing up or leaning on something? (Latter sentence notes lack of knowledge on breast-feeding 'rules' lol)

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 4:36 pm

Aky, I understand what you're saying. Believe me I always felt awkward feeding in public because I was worried about making other people feel awkward, but I know my rights and when it came down to it I wasn't flashing it in anyone's face and I wasn't hurting anyone. Tbh I just wanted to get it over with most of the time and carry on with what ever it was I was doing for fear of getting dirty looks and comments (which I was fortunate enough to avoid, either that or I just didn't notice).

Re: the ladies toilet's comment, put it this way: would you eat a meal in a public toilet? I'm guessing not, so why should a baby be expected to eat in one?

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 11, '14, 4:44 pm

Twister wrote:Aky, I understand what you're saying. Believe me I always felt awkward feeding in public because I was worried about making other people feel awkward, but I know my rights and when it came down to it I wasn't flashing it in anyone's face and I wasn't hurting anyone. Tbh I just wanted to get it over with most of the time and carry on with what ever it was I was doing for fear of getting dirty looks and comments (which I was fortunate enough to avoid, either that or I just didn't notice).

Re: the ladies toilet's comment, put it this way: would you eat a meal in a public toilet? I'm guessing not, so why should a baby be expected to eat in one?

I'm not so sure the meal vs. breast feeding in a toilet is a valid comparison. I guess a baby isn't going to care where the milk is given in a public or private setting. I wouldn't say sit on the toilet and breast-feed but if there toilet area is clean (if this is at a restaurant), and at least there wouldn't be awkwardness when women walk into the ladies. But thinking about it, it can be done discreetly in public (putting a sheet over the kids head which tbh I've seen work but may not for others) but yeah, I'd feel awkward but if I was in a public setting, I'd troddle along.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 4:54 pm

I guess because to a baby, breastmilk IS their meal, before weaning onto solids it's literally their only source of nutrition. You're right the baby most likely doesn't care, but feeding in a toilet without having to actually sit on something is mighty awkward. If you have a big baby (or even an average sized baby) or a fidgety baby it can be difficult to breastfeed whilst standing up or leaning on something. I know I couldn't have done it without almost dropping her and my baby is petite!

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 11, '14, 5:18 pm

Twister wrote:I guess because to a baby, breastmilk IS their meal, before weaning onto solids it's literally their only source of nutrition. You're right the baby most likely doesn't care, but feeding in a toilet without having to actually sit on something is mighty awkward. If you have a big baby (or even an average sized baby) or a fidgety baby it can be difficult to breastfeed whilst standing up or leaning on something. I know I couldn't have done it without almost dropping her and my baby is petite!

Shows much how I know!

I think it's unfortunate because as much as this story has made the news, it will bring into sharper focus and if women do breast-feed publically, others might be more prone to speak out following on from this initial story. Hopefully not.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Twister » Mar 11, '14, 5:28 pm

I think one (and probably the only) positive that has come out of this story is how it went somewhat viral on the social networking sites and the majority have spoke out in support of the woman and breastfeeding in general. I'd imagine the creep who took the photo and uploaded it feels very silly right about now.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Mar 12, '14, 1:30 am

Twister wrote::lol I guess Porkchop.

At the end of the day if a baby is hungry it needs feeding, if i'm eating a meal in a restaurant i'm not going to leave my meal or make the baby wait (which would cause even more of a stir because it would be screaming) when I can easily feed it right there and then (discreetly, by the way). It's perfectly legal to do so and in the UK it's classed as sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because they are breastfeeding, by law an establishment isn't allowed to refuse a service or ask someone to leave because they are breastfeeding (this includes restaurants). I don't agree with these women who make a point of making a song and dance about it but at the same time I do believe they are the minority, most bfing mothers just want to be able to feed their hungry baby without making a scene or drawing attention to themselves. Which is what the woman in the article was doing until some ignorant pratt took a photo and plastered it on the internet for the sole purpose of ridiculing her.

I'm guessing you wouldn't say it's unacceptable to bottle feed a baby in a restaurant? Breastfeeding serves the exact same purpose does it not? It's just food.

Because the world wants to make women who have children feel the are special and important.

This information is incorrect.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Twister » Mar 12, '14, 2:33 am

It's not about making women with children feel special and important at all, it's about allowing a woman to simply feed her child without being discriminated against.

Please elaborate on what part of my post is incorrect. If you mean the part about sex discrimination and the law, here is some proof to back up my claims: http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/breastfeedingpublicplace.pdf

The only place where it is not against the law to prevent a woman from breastfeeding is in an establishment where services are specifically aimed at men and also where there are genuine health and safety risks i.e near chemicals and radiation.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Next

Return to News and Politics