It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 1:22 am

Mother labelled 'tramp' for breastfeeding in public.

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Re: Mother labelled 'tramp' for breastfeeding in public.

Postby Chewy » Mar 12, '14, 4:39 am

Twister wrote:It's not about making women with children feel special and important at all, it's about allowing a woman to simply feed her child without being discriminated against.

Please elaborate on what part of my post is incorrect. If you mean the part about sex discrimination and the law, here is some proof to back up my claims: http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/breastfeedingpublicplace.pdf

The only place where it is not against the law to prevent a woman from breastfeeding is in an establishment where services are specifically aimed at men and also where there are genuine health and safety risks i.e near chemicals and radiation.

I know the law exists, I was referring to something else.

In the interests of this not becoming a proper row, let's just agree that I'm right and move on.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 21

Postby Twister » Mar 12, '14, 6:12 am

:deadhorse

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 56

Postby SortaCreative » Mar 12, '14, 6:59 am

Chewy wrote:
Twister wrote::lol I guess Porkchop.

At the end of the day if a baby is hungry it needs feeding, if i'm eating a meal in a restaurant i'm not going to leave my meal or make the baby wait (which would cause even more of a stir because it would be screaming) when I can easily feed it right there and then (discreetly, by the way). It's perfectly legal to do so and in the UK it's classed as sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because they are breastfeeding, by law an establishment isn't allowed to refuse a service or ask someone to leave because they are breastfeeding (this includes restaurants). I don't agree with these women who make a point of making a song and dance about it but at the same time I do believe they are the minority, most bfing mothers just want to be able to feed their hungry baby without making a scene or drawing attention to themselves. Which is what the woman in the article was doing until some ignorant pratt took a photo and plastered it on the internet for the sole purpose of ridiculing her.

I'm guessing you wouldn't say it's unacceptable to bottle feed a baby in a restaurant? Breastfeeding serves the exact same purpose does it not? It's just food.

Because the world wants to make women who have children feel the are special and important.

This information is incorrect.

Stop trolling.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Chewy » Mar 13, '14, 5:45 am

SortaCreative wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Twister wrote::lol I guess Porkchop.

At the end of the day if a baby is hungry it needs feeding, if i'm eating a meal in a restaurant i'm not going to leave my meal or make the baby wait (which would cause even more of a stir because it would be screaming) when I can easily feed it right there and then (discreetly, by the way). It's perfectly legal to do so and in the UK it's classed as sex discrimination to treat a woman unfavourably because they are breastfeeding, by law an establishment isn't allowed to refuse a service or ask someone to leave because they are breastfeeding (this includes restaurants). I don't agree with these women who make a point of making a song and dance about it but at the same time I do believe they are the minority, most bfing mothers just want to be able to feed their hungry baby without making a scene or drawing attention to themselves. Which is what the woman in the article was doing until some ignorant pratt took a photo and plastered it on the internet for the sole purpose of ridiculing her.

I'm guessing you wouldn't say it's unacceptable to bottle feed a baby in a restaurant? Breastfeeding serves the exact same purpose does it not? It's just food.

Because the world wants to make women who have children feel the are special and important.

This information is incorrect.

Stop trolling.

:O

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Buck » Mar 15, '14, 4:33 pm

Twister wrote:The only place where it is not against the law to prevent a woman from breastfeeding is in an establishment where services are specifically aimed at men.

That makes no sense. If I were sitting in a strip club, and a girl wants to whip out her tits, even if she's feeding with one, the baby can only suck one tit at a time. That leaves the other open for advancement.

Full disclosure: I never read the posts I made when I'm drunk once I sober up. They make me cringe. This is one of them. I apologize.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby PorkChop » Mar 16, '14, 7:52 am

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Daz » Mar 16, '14, 8:03 am

Slags, all of them.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Twister » Mar 16, '14, 1:49 pm

PorkChop wrote:Twister, did you see this? http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... ed-6836463

Yeah, I feel mixed about it. On the one hand I think fair play to her for standing up for what she believes in, it's great she got a good turn out and carried out the event peacefully (from what I've read anyway). But at the same time whilst I get and support the sentiment that breastfeeding in public needs to be more accepted, I'm not sure this is the way to do it and it may perpetuate the idea some people have that all breastfeeding women do so in public to get attention and make a statement. I dunno I'm tipsy.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 16, '14, 1:54 pm

Twister wrote:
PorkChop wrote:Twister, did you see this? http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... ed-6836463

Yeah, I feel mixed about it. On the one hand I think fair play to her for standing up for what she believes in, it's great she got a good turn out and carried out the event peacefully (from what I've read anyway). But at the same time whilst I get and support the sentiment that breastfeeding in public needs to be more accepted, I'm not sure this is the way to do it and it may perpetuate the idea some people have that all breastfeeding women do so in public to get attention and make a statement. I dunno I'm tipsy.

Is that the explanation of why you have Aaron Ramsey in your sig? :P

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Twister » Mar 16, '14, 1:59 pm

:fry

Leave Spud out of this

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 16, '14, 2:11 pm

Twister wrote::fry

Leave Spud out of this

Is that your nickname for Aaron Ramsey?

P.S I have no idea who the guy, who is a dead ringer for Aaron Ramsey, is. lol

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » Mar 16, '14, 2:23 pm

AkydefGoldberg wrote:
Twister wrote::fry

Leave Spud out of this

Is that your nickname for Aaron Ramsey?

P.S I have no idea who the guy, who is a dead ringer for Aaron Ramsey, is. lol

He's a certifiable rock star of potato like proportion. Also known as Rockstar Spud.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jan 29, '15, 3:55 pm

So, after grabbing a bargain (but basic) £1 Poundland tuna sandwich and walked over to a quiet place in a shopping centre, as I approached, I saw a woman - and her mother I think - sitting down with a baby in tow. As I got closer, I could see she was breast feeding. Slightly taken aback but didn't show any uncomfortableness, just said down bit further down on the bench and sat there having my sandwich.

It was just interesting, right next door to where I was sat, there was a coffee place that is based on the ground floor of the centre and I just thought it was a good move by this lady to breastfeed her kid in this quieter area. Maybe it was coincidence than choice but it reminded me of this debate. I wasn't uncomfortable as I previously thought I would be, guess, just tried to eat my sandwich lol and not take the approach of others might do and to gawp.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Previous

Return to News and Politics