It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:19 am

When was politics good?

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

When was politics good?

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Feb 20, '19, 6:53 am

With the shitshow in the UK, and the world it seems, from a political point of view, was there a time when you were happy with the political state of your nation?

Even though I can't remember it in detail just due to my age at that time, but 1998-2000 seemed to be when things were fairly calm. Politically, I'd say I knew more local people in terms of councillors who were helping the local community but yeah, it was nice back then.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: When was politics good?

Postby The Legend » Feb 20, '19, 9:18 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:With the shitshow in the UK, and the world it seems, from a political point of view, was there a time when you were happy with the political state of your nation?

Even though I can't remember it in detail just due to my age at that time, but 1998-2000 seemed to be when things were fairly calm. Politically, I'd say I knew more local people in terms of councillors who were helping the local community but yeah, it was nice back then.

I don't know about good, but there was a time when it was better before 24/7 news coverage and at the same time the 365-day a year re-election cycle. It seems these days in the US that politicians are too busy trying to get re-elected from the moment they step in office to actually govern and direct the country in a positive direction.

The other factor in the US is that politics, and the country really, have never been the same since 9/11. There's a certain segment of politicians that have mastered fear mongering and playing the blame game to make people think those outside their small faction are at fault for everything wrong.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Return to News and Politics