It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 11:07 am

Las Vegas shooting is officially the deadliest in US history

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Las Vegas shooting is officially the deadliest in US history

Postby PorkChop » Oct 02, '17, 4:48 am

50 people confirmed dead at the time of writing, which overtakes the 2016 Pulse nightclub shooting in which 49 people were killed.

200 injured as well. Absolutely tragic. Some of the footage in circulation is quite difficult to watch.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: Las Vegas shooting is officially the deadliest in US history

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 02, '17, 8:10 am

Gunman named as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock - used his 32nd floor hotel room to shoot at concert goers causing horrific scenes. Fatalities and hundreds injured. The worst mass shooting in America.

Apparently he had many weapons in his room but the use of an automatic rifle is what did the damage it seems.

Quite quickly it seems the authorities were keen to say there were no signs of terrorism (codeword: not Muslims) but there doesn't seem to be a motive for what this inhumane person did.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Oct 02, '17, 8:16 am

They're saying over 400 injured now.

Why the fuck do people need automatic weapons?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » Oct 02, '17, 9:39 am

Up to 59 dead and 515 injured. jesus...

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Hanley! » Oct 02, '17, 11:02 am

Has the US President made a statement yet about how this is very sad and how nobody in government is going to lift a fucking finger to do anything about it? Because that seems to be the standard response to these events. New presidents should probably just record a statement when they take office that can be played back every time one of these shootings takes place.

It'll be interesting to find out more details of this case - what the shooters motivations were. It's a devastating tragedy no matter what the shooters reasons were, and nothing is going to make this one sting any less. But if this wasn't an act of terrorism, that means five dozen people just died because a nutcase had easy access to a firearm. And the only country in the world where this regularly happens will say that there's nothing that can be done about it.

I can only imagine how some of the Americans here feel about that, because it makes my blood boil and I've never even stepped foot in the country.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Everlong » Oct 02, '17, 11:20 am

Hanley! wrote:It'll be interesting to find out more details of this case - what the shooters motivations were. It's a devastating tragedy no matter what the shooters reasons were, and nothing is going to make this one sting any less. But if this wasn't an act of terrorism, that means five dozen people just died because a nutcase had easy access to a firearm. And the only country in the world where this regularly happens will say that there's nothing that can be done about it.

This is the most bizarre aspect of the case so far. There's literally nothing to point to any motive. No religious or political affiliations, no prior criminal history, no known mental illness, no known biases or anger issues. I mean, obviously there must be *something* there, but usually in these types of events there's something pretty evident right away.

However, his father was convicted of robbing a bank in 1960 in Phoenix. That's the only thing the FBI has right now. He escaped from a Texas prison in 1968. He was rearrested in the 70s and died many years ago. But that's the only semblance of a connection they've got.

Hanley! wrote:I can only imagine how some of the Americans here feel about that, because it makes my blood boil and I've never even stepped foot in the country.

Yeah, I mean, of course I'm furious. But I'm also just exhausted. You know that literally nothing is going to be done about this, especially with Republicans in charge of every branch of government. Plus, with Republicans in full control, there are so many other things being done that deserve outrage.

I'm just sick of living in a nation that SHOULD be a positive, progressive force on the world being run by such fucking evil idiots. The entire Republican party needs to be tossed.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Daz » Oct 02, '17, 12:59 pm

Let me guess, it's too early to talk about gun control. People will skirt around mental health, without addressing the actual issue, and nothing will be done or even discussed until the next shooting, when the whole cycle starts all over again.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 03, '17, 12:07 am

Neither prayers nor gun control nor domestic surveillance are the answer for these awful situations that are continuing to become more and more prevalent as our lives move forward. There is no current answer because the major questions are still unanswered. Who organizes and structures these events? Who benefits the most?

Instead of immediately proposing an "answer", let us dig a lot deeper with the questions. Please do not misinterpret my words. Positivity is power, but unless we continue to question the happenings in this world we're just positive pawns.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Oct 03, '17, 11:49 am

VaderBomb wrote:Neither prayers nor gun control nor domestic surveillance are the answer for these awful situations that are continuing to become more and more prevalent as our lives move forward. There is no current answer because the major questions are still unanswered. Who organizes and structures these events? Who benefits the most?

Instead of immediately proposing an "answer", let us dig a lot deeper with the questions. Please do not misinterpret my words. Positivity is power, but unless we continue to question the happenings in this world we're just positive pawns.

Why is gun control not the answer?

I understand why prayer is not the answer. America has just as much prayer as Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Continental Europe. But it still has far more gun deaths and particularly more mass shootings than any of those places. So yes, prayer certainly is not the answer. It's just an easy way to sound respectful while doing nothing of worth.

But America does have way less gun control than any of those places. It's not hard to see the correlation. Lets stop making this debate more complicated than it is. Less guns = less gun deaths. End of story. There's a simple solution here and it's time to actually fucking do something about it. The time for introspection ended 100,000 dead Americans ago. It's insanity that your government has managed to convince people that they're doing the best they can by doing literally fucking nothing.

This has been a large international conversation that's now been playing out for a couple of decades. It's not time to ask more questions. This subject has been danced around forever at this point. To fail to take action now would show (and sadly will show) a shocking ambivalence to the loss of these lives.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 03, '17, 2:26 pm

Hanley! wrote:
VaderBomb wrote:Neither prayers nor gun control nor domestic surveillance are the answer for these awful situations that are continuing to become more and more prevalent as our lives move forward. There is no current answer because the major questions are still unanswered. Who organizes and structures these events? Who benefits the most?

Why is gun control not the answer?

I understand why prayer is not the answer. America has just as much prayer as Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Continental Europe. But it still has far more gun deaths and particularly more mass shootings than any of those places. So yes, prayer certainly is not the answer. It's just an easy way to sound respectful while doing nothing of worth.

But America does have way less gun control than any of those places. It's not hard to see the correlation. Lets stop making this debate more complicated than it is. Less guns = less gun deaths. End of story. There's a simple solution here and it's time to actually fucking do something about it. The time for introspection ended 100,000 dead Americans ago. It's insanity that your government has managed to convince people that they're doing the best they can by doing literally fucking nothing.

This has been a large international conversation that's now been playing out for a couple of decades. It's not time to ask more questions. This subject has been danced around forever at this point. To fail to take action now would show (and sadly will show) a shocking ambivalence to the loss of these lives.

I don't care much about guns personally, but it's a right and many times these situations are used to manipulate people into giving their rights up. That is not the answer.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » Oct 03, '17, 2:50 pm

^^^ Guns aren't a right. I'm sick of seeing that. Only the most ignorant and half-hearted reading of our Bill of Rights can come away with a person saying that the Second Amendment guarantees citizens the right to own guns and prevents gun control. In fact, the principle of gun control is right in the wording of the Second Amendment: "a well-regulated militia". Getting past the attempt to define the word militia for a moment, let's just start well-regulating any and every one that wants to own a gun. Not just in proving you are fit to buy a gun, but proving on a monthly basis that you are still fit to own a gun through psychological testing and other examinations of a person's life.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not about to turn this tragedy into some wild conspiracy theory about government being bad.

All of that being said, I don't really think gun control should be the end all be all to this problem. Because laws keeping people from owning guns isn't the problem. The true issue is this, yearly in America there are more incidents in which four or more people are killed by a single shooting incident than there are days in the year. The question I have to ask is how have we reached a point as an American society that nearly 500 different people in our society every year can be so oppressed, so forgotten, so downtrodden, so neglected, so hopeless and so ignored that they wake up one morning and decide the best thing they can do with their day is pick up a gun and kill as many people as they can shoot before turning the gun on him/herself? You want to truly reduce the amount of violence and anger in American society, then you care enough to ask that question, you care enough to seek out the answer and then you care enough to take action to start fixing the true problems tearing at the fabric of our nation.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby VaderBomb » Oct 03, '17, 3:33 pm

The Legend wrote:^^^ Guns aren't a right. I'm sick of seeing that. Only the most ignorant and half-hearted reading of our Bill of Rights can come away with a person saying that the Second Amendment guarantees citizens the right to own guns and prevents gun control. In fact, the principle of gun control is right in the wording of the Second Amendment: "a well-regulated militia". Getting past the attempt to define the word militia for a moment, let's just start well-regulating any and every one that wants to own a gun. Not just in proving you are fit to buy a gun, but proving on a monthly basis that you are still fit to own a gun through psychological testing and other examinations of a person's life.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not about to turn this tragedy into some wild conspiracy theory about government being bad.

All of that being said, I don't really think gun control should be the end all be all to this problem. Because laws keeping people from owning guns isn't the problem. The true issue is this, yearly in America there are more incidents in which four or more people are killed by a single shooting incident than there are days in the year. The question I have to ask is how have we reached a point as an American society that nearly 500 different people in our society every year can be so oppressed, so forgotten, so downtrodden, so neglected, so hopeless and so ignored that they wake up one morning and decide the best thing they can do with their day is pick up a gun and kill as many people as they can shoot before turning the gun on him/herself? You want to truly reduce the amount of violence and anger in American society, then you care enough to ask that question, you care enough to seek out the answer and then you care enough to take action to start fixing the true problems tearing at the fabric of our nation.

I'm all for psychological testing to make sure that some nut case shouldn't own a gun. Like I said, I don't care about guns. I have no passion for them. I've never owned one and likely never will. Also, I'm as far from right-wing as you could possibly imagine.

Where you lose me is your quick defense of the powers that be. When you look at the global reputation of the US, it would be insane to think that they have no problem killing people all over the world but will always protect American citizens as if we're god's children. It's terribly naive. They want absolute power and it will take a very slow build to reach that goal but they're getting there slowly but surely. A big step towards that is control, not just gun control. I don't see any wild conspiracy in what I posted.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » Oct 03, '17, 3:43 pm

VaderBomb wrote:I don't care much about guns personally, but it's a right and many times these situations are used to manipulate people into giving their rights up. That is not the answer.

If it's a right it's a moronic one, and one that I've certainly never missed.

People should not be able to casually buy implements of death and destruction. A society that allows or encourages that has something rotten at its core.

Mental health is often brought up as part of this discussion, and I do think that's another front on which this war can be fought. But if that's the case, then it's also time to stop paying lip service to tackling mental health, and time to actually do something about it. Too often mental health is simply used as a distraction to try and move people away from the topic of gun control. And any Republican who tries to use that particular distraction this year is going to come off as a massive hypocrite, given the party just spent the last 8 months trying to take millions of Americans off healthcare.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Return to News and Politics