It is currently: Apr 17, '24, 7:48 pm

UK General Election on June 8th

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

UK General Election on June 8th

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 18, '17, 5:21 am

So Theresa May called an announcement for 11.15am that I hoped would be her resignation but she's announced a snap General Election for 8th June 2017.

After saying she wouldn't have one, realising it's a chance to consolidate her power facing a weak opposition, she's biting the bullet but hope it backfires somehow. I'm not in the mood for the divisive, hateful rhetoric that will most likely spew out focusing on immigration, security, etc and would rather have waited until another time for an election.

Labour won't be that enticing to vote for and if Lib Dems campaign vociferously against Brexit, I might vote for them.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Re: UK General Election on June 8th

Postby prophet » Apr 18, '17, 7:34 am

Smart move really. She'll win comfortably and consolidate her position.

Shame. I'll vote Labour as I always do but at this point I hardly see the point; Corbyn doesn't have the people.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Twister » Apr 18, '17, 12:23 pm

Can't see how it can be anything other than a Conservative win unfortunately.

Not sure who I'll vote for, Torys won the seat here from Lob Dems at the last general election and I doubt labour will have a chance of getting in round here.

This woman's reaction sums it up perfectly for me :lol
https://www.facebook.com/bbcnews/videos/1381536228570146/

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby PorkChop » Apr 19, '17, 1:36 am

I'd like to vote for the Greens but there's no point. I like Corbyn though so I'm happy to vote Labour.

Fuck the Tory party.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby prophet » Apr 19, '17, 4:38 am

PorkChop wrote:I'd like to vote for the Greens but there's no point. I like Corbyn though so I'm happy to vote Labour.

Fuck the Tory party.

I like Corbyn too but he has to resign to give the party even the smallest of chances.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 19, '17, 5:14 am

Best hope is the Conservatives don't get the reported 150 seat majority that's been reported which seems a wild figure. Putting faith in other parties showing the true reality of Brexit and minimising the damage of a Conservative lead.

Again, I like Corbyn but I don't have any faith he can win over voters not only to have a sizeable backing in the House of Commons but to ever win an election. Many times he's impressed me at PMQs but then the rest of the time, he seems reticent to attack the party in power.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 19, '17, 5:36 am

Wait, you just found out your country is going to have an election in two months? There's not going to be three years of unyielding coverage of this election. What a strange, weird world that must be. Oh and by the way, wonderful world it must be.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby prophet » Apr 19, '17, 9:12 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:Best hope is the Conservatives don't get the reported 150 seat majority that's been reported which seems a wild figure. Putting faith in other parties showing the true reality of Brexit and minimising the damage of a Conservative lead.

Again, I like Corbyn but I don't have any faith he can win over voters not only to have a sizeable backing in the House of Commons but to ever win an election. Many times he's impressed me at PMQs but then the rest of the time, he seems reticent to attack the party in power.

After Yvette Cooper's question earlier I think she's put herself in pole position to take over from old Jezza.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Apr 19, '17, 3:53 pm

prophet wrote:
AkydefGoldberg wrote:Best hope is the Conservatives don't get the reported 150 seat majority that's been reported which seems a wild figure. Putting faith in other parties showing the true reality of Brexit and minimising the damage of a Conservative lead.

After Yvette Cooper's question earlier I think she's put herself in pole position to take over from old Jezza.

I'm sure she wasn't interested in the job last time round before Corbyn but that was a killer question to Theresa and one of her front bench members caught using the word 'bitch' after Yvette's question shows the real nastiness of the Tories.

I wish we weren't having it, poll turnout might be quite low with the unexpected announcement and everyone's bit tired of another trip to the polling booth..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 30, '17, 6:50 am

So caught the end of the Battle For Number 10, a joint Sky-Ch4 Q&A with members of the public and a sit-down grilling with Jeremy Paxman.

Best bits I watched was a guy muttering 'bollocks, utter bollocks' as May talked and this lone dick who stood up, and then quickly sat down, for a standing ovation for Theresa May.

Corbyn seems to have done well in both aspects of the show and his performances are lending me voting Labour plus May is a wreck in public, actually talking to real people than a small handful handpicked people at some warehouse..

Best I'm hoping for is more seats for Labour to cut down on the Tories lead as still this morning, Corbyn doesn't know the numbers behind a policy but don't think it deserves primary focus from journalists.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Twister » Jun 08, '17, 3:45 pm

Hold on guys, looks like it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Daz » Jun 08, '17, 3:49 pm

Do we dare be cautiously optimistic by the exit polls, or is it all just a setup for greater disappointment?

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby prophet » Jun 08, '17, 3:51 pm

prophet wrote:Smart move really. She'll win comfortably and consolidate her position.

Shame. I'll vote Labour as I always do but at this point I hardly see the point; Corbyn doesn't have the people.

Lmao Nick you melt. Just goes to show what a great campaign Jezza has had!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Ali » Jun 08, '17, 4:42 pm

Questions. What is a Hung Parliament, what happens next, how does this affect the world in general, and when will the new episodes of Mock the Week be on YouTube?

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Daz » Jun 08, '17, 6:12 pm

Worst case scenario is we'll be going through all this again in a few months. Which would be devastating. We only have two years to negotiate Brexit because of May's idiocy and we'd have lost six months because of a General Ejection she called for completely cynical reasons. So essentially the Tories would have put the whole country into turmoil twice for entirely selfish party reasons. It's a total shambles.

There'd also likely be a leadership election in the Conservative party if the exit polls are right, because Theresa May will never survive it.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 09, '17, 5:05 am

Ali wrote:Questions. What is a Hung Parliament, what happens next, how does this affect the world in general, and when will the new episodes of Mock the Week be on YouTube?

A hung parliament is when no party has a majority (326 MPs) in the Houses of Parliament. Conservatives are the biggest party but Labour can get a majority by joining up with the rest (unlikely) and May is so desperate for power she's continuing to say she will carry on with some sort of agreement with the DUP (who have a dubious history).

How it affects the world, specifically, for the EU is uncertainty. May's got no mandate to discuss Brexit and will be backed up by DUP although that partnership is flimsy.

When the exit polls came through, and I was heading to bed, my optimism had worn off as I remembered 2015/Brexit votes but to see this morning, that it had turned out pretty much as the exit poll had suggested, was glorious. To see Theresa May's shambolic premiership unravel like this is fucking beautiful, especially after the demoralising feeling of the last two voting events.

Delighted for Corbyn, admittedly, I felt he - and the party - would suffer badly but fair play to him, he showed a sincerity in campaigning that resonated with voters, sparking a burgeoning interest with young voters that helped massively and he's had better results than his two predecessors and Blair.

Uncertainty is still in the air but this is so much better than a 100 seat majority for the Conservatives.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Jun 09, '17, 10:12 am

May was unequivocally, eternally, blown the fuck out. Now she's forming a meme government with some far right party, DUP or some shit, Jesus Christ. How did she fuck this up so bad? Corbyn fucked her shit up and his own party didn't even really like him lmao.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Jun 09, '17, 12:55 pm

She fucked it up by calling an election when she said consistently post Brexit that she wouldn't call one to continue stability; fucked up when she called an election and decided she wouldn't bother campaigning across the breadth of the country to meet real voters hence when did, she got owned; fucked up by repeating 'strong and stable' repeatedly like a programmed robot; fucked up refusing to take part in the TV debates when even Corbyn, after initially refusing to participate, joined in and put her in a impossible situation so she'd look horrendous by joining or not joining in; fucked up with a manifesto barely costed and the 'dementia tax'; fucked up threatening the axing of human rights as she became utterly desperate towards the end of the campaign and she didn't expect that 18-34 demographic to come out in record numbers.

Sure I've missed some more but can't say how glad I am not to be sat her in the depression of knowing that the Conservatives had an insurmountable lead in the HoP.

Also, the UKIP freak show continues as Nutter resigns and Farage hints at a comeback. A party with 0 MPs yet given mainstream attention like it has a significant standing in British politics.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Jun 09, '17, 4:22 pm

Thanks Brits for voting for sanity :tim :tim

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 09, '17, 10:00 pm

Everlong wrote:Thanks Brits for voting for sanity :tim :tim

I mean, we didn't. Tories are still the biggest party.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Next

Return to News and Politics