It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 5:39 am

FBI reopen Hillary Clinton email investigation

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

FBI reopen Hillary Clinton email investigation

Postby PorkChop » Oct 28, '16, 11:33 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 85706.html

The FBI have discovered further emails pertinent to their investigation and have announced they're reopening it.

What a crazy election.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Re: FBI reopen Hillary Clinton email investigation

Postby Everlong » Oct 28, '16, 11:48 am

The timing of this is highly dubious.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » Oct 28, '16, 12:09 pm

They are looking at a new set of emails to see how they relate and to do so, they are re-opening the case. Not nearly as earth shattering as it is implied. This is the FBI following protocol.

Sounds like there's nothing to this, really.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby DBSoT » Oct 28, '16, 1:52 pm

So, nothing really to see here.

The emails came from Anthony Wiener. Because of course.

I kind of wanted there to be something to this, but it doesn't look like anything really. Hillary may one day get impeached because of this email stuff, but it looks less and less likely.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby KaiserGlider » Oct 28, '16, 7:55 pm

Everlong wrote:Sounds like there's nothing to this, really.

Every Hillary email leak in a nutshell.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Oct 28, '16, 7:59 pm

If the Democrats had put their weight behind any other candidate, this election would have been done and dusted months ago.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Oct 29, '16, 12:36 pm

Yeah, the timing and the subsequent information that it's not all what it has been hyped up to be by Trump and his team, suggests something murky at play with polling day not far away. It would have to be substantial relating to Hillary to change the momentum round for Trump as he's heading for defeat IMO. He's had enough ammunition to try and attack Hilary and the Democrats yet his campaign has unraveled due to him rather than any major point-scoring pressure applied by the Democrats.

There was at one point where it was kinda interesting when the polls were neck and neck but now after Trump's conduct has been brought into question, and the debates, Hilary seems to be cruising along unless Trump can jolt her run home and make it nervy for her.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby JDD » Oct 31, '16, 1:06 pm

Hanley! wrote:If the Democrats had put their weight behind any other candidate, this election would have been done and dusted months ago.

It makes me sad everyday that Bernie didnt get the nomination. He would have wiped the floor with Trump at the debates and there would be no questions about who was winning.

Plus when all the Trump sexual assault allegations and the tape came out, Trump supporters wouldnt have been able to go "BUT BILL" and "BUT EMAILS". I miss Bernie :(

THANKS IRIN
JDD Male
Intercontinental Champ
Intercontinental Champ

Topics: 78

Postby DBSoT » Oct 31, '16, 2:07 pm

^ Bernie is too much of an extreme candidate economically to wipe the floor with anyone. Anyone with a shred of conservative economic views, was never going to vote for him. He might still have beaten Trump, but it was not going to be in a landslide. Extreme Republicans hate Hillary, but moderates actually realize the danger of electing Trump. They may not like Hillary, but they know who is the better choice. The Democrats and Republicans would have been much better off with a moderate candidate. I am not suggesting a guy like John Kasich, Lincoln Chafee or Jim Webb would have won the race, but instead that they wouldn't have been nearly as polarizing.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Hanley! » Oct 31, '16, 3:17 pm

Bernie was actually polling really well against everyone before he exited the race. Much better than Hillary.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Oct 31, '16, 6:01 pm

Hanley! wrote:Bernie was actually polling really well against everyone before he exited the race. Much better than Hillary.

Yeah basically every one of the big polling agencies agreed that Bernie would have fared significantly better against Trump than Hillary.

In fact, Hillary was literally the only candidate in polling models that Trump stood a chance at beating.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Nov 02, '16, 10:15 am

^If that's the case then why didn't he win the nomination?

Polls are polls so it's difficult to get a definitive picture on what's going to happen in a political race and Sanders would have been a candidate to get behind but IIRC he didn't seem to have the momentum in the race compared t the exuberant support he got at rallies and via social media etc.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby Everlong » Nov 02, '16, 10:30 am

AkydefGoldberg wrote:^If that's the case then why didn't he win the nomination?

Polls are polls so it's difficult to get a definitive picture on what's going to happen in a political race and Sanders would have been a candidate to get behind but IIRC he didn't seem to have the momentum in the race compared t the exuberant support he got at rallies and via social media etc.

A lot of reasons.

For one, HIllary had a MASSIVE headstart in terms of public awareness. She simply has a much, much stronger name recognition than Bernie, so for him to even bring it as close as it was was a massive feat in itself. Very few people in the general public really were familiar with him before his presidential campaign, and now he's arguably the biggest name in the senate. If the primaries had started, say, four months later than they did, I think Bernie could very well have won. He just needed a little longer to get his name out into the public.

Additionally, Hillary has resources Bernie could never dream of. Bernie is one of the least wealthy people in the senate, and had to rely significantly more on small donations from average people. Hillary not only has the Clinton wealth at her disposal, but also major donations from corporations and big banks to help fund her campaign. Again, another gigantic advantage for her in a campaign against a guy with few, if any, major corporate sponsors.

Finally, there is at least some truth to the idea that the DNC was working against the Sanders campaign, viewing him as an outsider. The extent to which the DNC and the Clinton Campaign collaborated is, of course, up for debate, and there will always be some conspiracy surrounding it, but the basic truth of the matter is that the DNC did not want Bernie Sanders to be the nominee. That in itself is a big challenge for Bernie to overcome, especially considering the prior two points.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Postby Ali » Nov 02, '16, 4:24 pm

Also, the one thing people always, always, always forget about Sanders v. Clinton...

Bernie Sanders was not a Democrat.

He had Democratic policies, but he was an Independent, running on the Democratic ticket for the purposes of this election due to the two-party system. Hillary was a long-term Democrat, so she already had a bunch of internal, establishment support that an outsider like Bernie didn't have much access to.

"What about Trump?" you may ask, correctly ascertaining that he was as much of a political outsider to Republicans as Bernie was to Democrats, perhaps even moreso.

Well, again, it goes back to two factors. The Brand of Trump, which had a lot of not-politically correct rhetoric, was able to galvanize quite a bit of a base that was fed up and frustrated with the Republican "politics as usual" camp. Then, you had Too Many Cooks, which allowed a vocal Trump base to overcome all the other Republican nominees.

Perhaps if there were more Democrat nominees, Bernie could've had the nomination in a very Trump-like scenario, split the establishment base enough to gain an outsider majority. But since it was always essentially a 1v1, Bernie v. Hillary matchup, that couldn't happen. Corruption aside, there were too many factors for Bernie to overcome to secure the Democratic nomination, and he came damn, DAMN close anyway.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 02, '16, 9:38 pm

Also, Bernie has never been in the hot seat and never had to endure attacks on the level that Hillary has for the better part of three decades, because both the Republican and Democrat establishment never saw Bernie as a threat. Had Bernie been thrust into the spotlight of a general election, the GOP would have put their resources into exposing every skeleton in his closet, painting him as an communist nutjob with more extreme views than Hillary, and the perception of Bernie as a perfect candidate would have quickly been torn down. I don't know if he would have fared better against Trump than Hillary has, but I doubt he would have fared significantly better.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Ali » Nov 06, '16, 6:45 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... um=twitter

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand it's another big nothingburger.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Chewy » Nov 06, '16, 9:40 pm

Hanley! wrote:If the Democrats had put their weight behind any other candidate, this election would have been done and dusted months ago.

Same could be said for the Republicans sadly.

this election appears to be picking between ball and dick cancer.

one side has an oaf who represents an archaic party with antiquated beliefs built on staying wealthy, but he's probably the best bet between the two.

How these two are the best either party can put forward is madness.

Fuck their ads too, I'm going to go blind from rolling my eyes at the hypocrisy from both sides.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Hanley! » Nov 07, '16, 12:23 pm

I wouldn't call Trump the best bet by any means.

I understand the 'lesser of two evils' argument, because these are both bad candidates. No mistake about it. If the Democrats had chosen anyone else this election would have been over months ago. If the Republicans had nominated anyone else, they'd have taken the election easily too. Hillary's support is soft as fuck. Every little thing sends her voters running from her. These are not likable candidates by any means.

We're not stuck in a two party system over here in Ireland, so if Clinton ever ran for government here there's no way I'd vote for her. And it's not like the options we have over here are great.

But if I was an American, I wouldn't think twice about voting for her. Sure, she's the absolute embodiment of the political establishment, who looks after herself first, big business second, and the general public third. And yes, she's corrupt. But if I had to choose between a corrupt politician and a corrupt, incompetent, inexperienced, racist, misogynistic clown then I'll go for the politician every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Chewy » Nov 07, '16, 3:06 pm

Hanley! wrote:I wouldn't call Trump the best bet by any means.

I understand the 'lesser of two evils' argument, because these are both bad candidates. No mistake about it. If the Democrats had chosen anyone else this election would have been over months ago. If the Republicans had nominated anyone else, they'd have taken the election easily too. Hillary's support is soft as fuck. Every little thing sends her voters running from her. These are not likable candidates by any means.

We're not stuck in a two party system over here in Ireland, so if Clinton ever ran for government here there's no way I'd vote for her. And it's not like the options we have over here are great.

But if I was an American, I wouldn't think twice about voting for her. Sure, she's the absolute embodiment of the political establishment, who looks after herself first, big business second, and the general public third. And yes, she's corrupt. But if I had to choose between a corrupt politician and a corrupt, incompetent, inexperienced, racist, misogynistic clown then I'll go for the politician every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

No one was ever Preident until they were president. The racist and misogyny stuff is anecdotal at best, but I care little about a persons personal beliefs in place of what they do. What Trump has done is buld and succeed at business, having been remarkably clear from being called a misogynist or racist during that time, in fact he was courted by the democrats not too long ago. Much like the email non scandal I see it as weak nominees trying desperately to appear the least worst option. The timing is amazingly convenient isn't it?

My main reason for picking Trump as the turd sandwich instead of the giant douche is simply he isn't a career politician. Politicians have an overwhelming number of people from a legal profession. Law is about which argument is better, rather than which one is right. Business is about making decisions that have an outcome, I think we may end up getting some traction in a direction because he may actually make a decision.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby Hanley! » Nov 07, '16, 3:32 pm

Chewy wrote:The racist and misogyny stuff is anecdotal at best, but I care little about a persons personal beliefs in place of what they do. What Trump has done is buld and succeed at business, having been remarkably clear from being called a misogynist or racist during that time, in fact he was courted by the democrats not too long ago. Much like the email non scandal I see it as weak nominees trying desperately to appear the least worst option. The timing is amazingly convenient isn't it?

My main reason for picking Trump as the turd sandwich instead of the giant douche is simply he isn't a career politician. Politicians have an overwhelming number of people from a legal profession. Law is about which argument is better, rather than which one is right. Business is about making decisions that have an outcome, I think we may end up getting some traction in a direction because he may actually make a decision.

I wouldn't say the racist stuff is anecdotal. It's the foundation of his entire campaign. Building a wall between America and Mexico was his first big idea as a candidate. In his first speech he said that most of the Hispanic immigrants in America were rapists and murderers. His anti-immigrant stance is his biggest talking point, as far as I can see. That's what most people seem to be voting for when they vote for Trump. He's popular with white males because he speaks to their issues and nobody else's.

It's the most important reason that people should vote for Clinton. Whatever people may think of her, I don't think there's much chance of her deliberately targeting entire demographics and making their lives miserable if she becomes president. I can't say the same about Trump. His speeches have been filled with hate and fear-mongering since day one. I'd be worried about what social policies he might try to push through.

As for his successful business building, it's arguable how successful he's really been. He inherited a shitload of money from his father and there's plenty of evidence to suggest he doesn't have nearly as much of it left as he's been claiming. Hell, he's been funneling donations to his campaign back into his own pocket, which to me suggests that he's either not as wealthy as he claims or is wealthy due to scamming people, which isn't high praise either.

And don't forget he's had a whole bunch of failed businesses and enterprises. He's had a failed airline, a failed search engine, a failed mortgage company, a failed magazine, and obviously Trump University. Even if he has had his fair share of successes, if he has this bad a track record when he branches out into a new enterprise, I wouldn't want to risk America being his next big failure.

In that way, voting for Trump seems akin to investing in Vince McMahon's new football league, because, hey, he's rich and he really seems to know what he's doing with that whole wrestling thing.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Next

Return to News and Politics