It is currently: May 28, '24, 1:47 pm

Reporter and cameraman shot on live TV; suspect at large

Post any national/international news discussions in this forum. Debates welcome.

Re: Reporter and cameraman shot on live TV; suspect at large

Postby The Legend » Aug 27, '15, 1:10 pm

Everlong wrote:I'm sorry you're so sad, but what makes me sad is you and so many other poeple's responses to people being murdered by gun violence is "welp, too bad there's nothing we can possibly do to fix it, so may not bother trying."

This isn't necessarily the kind of case to make a political statement with, as it's the murder of two people. But considering the pattern of mass murders in this country, and the fact that we had a couple dozen elementary school children get slaughtered a couple years ago and nothing fucking changed, I think it's more than justifiable to be sick to death of the "welp, gun violence is gonna happen and you can't do anything about it" crowd.

If Newtown didn't change anything nothing will. And THAT's what's really sad. The fact that a significant portion of this country isn't even willing to try.

I think there's a difference between saying gun control isn't going to hinder violence in our country enough and, welp there's nothing we can do about it. I think there's plenty we can do about it, but most things I believe would make a larger difference than gun control.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby UTK » Aug 27, '15, 1:26 pm

The Legend wrote:America definitely has a problem. We have far too many citizens that want to do other people harm or kill them. Gun control says let's treat the symptom and make it as hard as possible for those people to kill others. I'm saying it's much more logical to say, we have a problem. too many people want to do others harm. How do we lessen the amount of people that want to do others harm? When you find an answer to that question you will make a true difference in lessening the amount of crime and killings and until you address that question then anything you do is just putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

The thing about that analogy is, unless you bandage a wound or put pressure on it somehow, you'll bleed out. I guess we're bleeding out?

You won't lessen the amount of people that want to do others harm, you're making it more difficult for them to do others harm. Why isn't that a good thing?

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 59
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Circled Square » Aug 27, '15, 1:32 pm

UTK wrote:
The Legend wrote:America definitely has a problem. We have far too many citizens that want to do other people harm or kill them. Gun control says let's treat the symptom and make it as hard as possible for those people to kill others. I'm saying it's much more logical to say, we have a problem. too many people want to do others harm. How do we lessen the amount of people that want to do others harm? When you find an answer to that question you will make a true difference in lessening the amount of crime and killings and until you address that question then anything you do is just putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.

The thing about that analogy is, unless you bandage a wound or put pressure on it somehow, you'll bleed out. I guess we're bleeding out?

You won't lessen the amount of people that want to do others harm, you're making it more difficult for them to do others harm. Why isn't that a good thing?

How is a gaping hole in the mental health system going to be fixed by taking away people's gun rights?

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby UTK » Aug 27, '15, 1:44 pm

Circled Square wrote:
UTK wrote:

Why should a gaping hole in the mental health system going to be fixed by taking away people's gun rights?

You know gun control doesn't mean "let's take away everybody's guns" right? Most people don't want to "take away people's gun rights". I personally like the idea of mandatory, federal background checks. The fact that it's so easy to purchase a firearm is what bugs me. You don't have to be a bleeding heart liberal to want only sane people owning guns.

A report last year showed that the state-wide background checks in effect around the nation had kept over 2 million firearms out of the wrong hands. What are the "wrong hands"? Anyone who:

-Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
-Is under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
-Is a fugitive from justice;
-Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
-Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution;
-Is illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
-Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
-Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced U.S. citizenship;
-Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner;
-Has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

I'm sure we agree that these people should certainly not own firearms? Background checks help make sure many of them do not. I think there should be a mandatory mental health screening as well, because I suppose an insane person who was never actually committed could hypothetically purchase one as long as they are not any of those other things.

But passing a law like that on the federal level would be gun control. No responsible and sane gun owner will be affected. But since it would be "gun control", everybody would freak out and lock their AA-12s in their safe.

All aboard the hype train, motherfuckers.
UTK Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 59

Postby Circled Square » Aug 27, '15, 1:56 pm

I'm cool with ideas above, improving the system, but hell yeah I get a bit "Iffy" on peole taking away or limiting, or restricting, gun rights. Any right, for that matter. I'm never a fan of taking away things from the people. Good post tho.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby HFX » Aug 27, '15, 2:16 pm

The fact that guns are still a right is stupid. This isn't the 1700's/1800's anymore. Gun ownership should be a privilege not a right, just like driving a car. People should have to pass a gun safety course(different levels for different types of guns) and then get a police/background check as well as perhaps a mental assessment. People can still get guns but it becomes a bit/lot harder than just walking into a store.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby Viazon » Aug 27, '15, 2:19 pm

Been reading about this in the news today. Absolutely terrible story.

I do agree that something needs to be done about gun control. What can be done exactly, I do not know. However, I will echo some other statements that people made about this being more of a mental illness issue than it is about guns. Don't get me wrong, any dude who commits a mass shooting is definitely messed up. But I think it's a bit different for this dude. This guy clearly had issues. But, if this is any sort of consolation at all, at least he didn't go on a mass shooting. Usually wen you hear stories of shootings, it's about a person who goes out to kill as many people as possible for no other reason than he wants to kill. This guy had a grudge against these people and set out to kill just them. So it's easy to assume that he would have found another way to kill them. I just think shooting a gun at someone is easier.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby prophet » Aug 27, '15, 2:40 pm

HFX wrote:The fact that guns are still a right is stupid. This isn't the 1700's/1800's anymore. Gun ownership should be a privilege not a right, just like driving a car. People should have to pass a gun safety course(different levels for different types of guns) and then get a police/background check as well as perhaps a mental assessment. People can still get guns but it becomes a bit/lot harder than just walking into a store.

It's downright bizarre that they don't conduct mental health assessments on gun owners. You'd think that'd be a logical first step for them to take without taking away somebody's rights. Not that I think owning a gun should be a right, it absolutely shouldn't for reasons I'm far too disinterested to getting into when I know it'll get me nowhere.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534

Postby Everlong » Aug 27, '15, 2:48 pm

I agree that mental health is definitely an issue that needs to be taken into consideration, but most of the time people jump to that as an excuse.

There's one common factor in every single shooting. And guess what--it's not mental health.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Aug 27, '15, 3:03 pm

How did this guy know where these two journalists were going to be? I doubt someone helped him intentionally but may have ended up giving information out..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby The Legend » Aug 27, '15, 3:57 pm

Everlong wrote:I agree that mental health is definitely an issue that needs to be taken into consideration, but most of the time people jump to that as an excuse.

There's one common factor in every single shooting. And guess what--it's not mental health.

It's not an excuse, it's a cause and a reason. I'm not using mental health to simply say people aren't in control of their actions to that extent, but the bottom line is mental health is a common factor in every single shooting.

Rationale, well adjusted, healthy and sane people don't kill others. It. is. that. simple. 1 in 3 people in this world have some sort of and some level of mental illness and the vast majority of them go unchecked or unidentified. Now, most people live with these conditions without problem to this extent, but mental health checks would not only help see problems developing before they reach a critical point they would also help people with less severe problems lead happier and healthier lives as well.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 27, '15, 5:16 pm

Just because people want to take steps to have stricter control over guns and their distribution, doesn't mean that they're ignoring the mental health issue and absolving that of any blame. People can try and make a difference with two interconnected thing at once.

Fixing the mental health diagnosis and treatment will help prevent tragedies like this. Having stricter gun laws would also help prevent tragedies like this. And I'm going to take a wild guess that doing both of those things will have an even more positive effect.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 28, '15, 10:30 am

Mental Health reform is a long term goal that absolutely needs to happen. People aren't going to "get better" over night. But treatment should there for people that need it. Checks need to be in place.

Strict gun control to stop such people from getting firearms is something that can be done at a much quicker pace. Theoretically. Politics will definitely make it a much harder process. The sooner guns stop being a right, the sooner it can be controlled.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54

Postby Locke » Aug 28, '15, 10:51 am

I think to purchase a gun you ought to have a strict background check, mental health evaluation, and pass some sort of safety class. Maybe they should check your blood while they're at it, and if you're directly related to any murderers you can fuck right off. :lol

The problem is, I don't think it'd make a goddamn bit of difference other than driving black-market prices up. I'm open to try, though. Problem is, current politicians would rather spin it in some way that's only beneficial to them or else shit like this would have been in place a long time ago.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 28, '15, 2:27 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 28, '15, 2:31 pm

^ There's some pretty pictures for ya Circled Squared

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Aug 28, '15, 2:38 pm

SortaCreative wrote:^ There's some pretty pictures for ya Circled Squared

>implying I'm a pro gun nut

Nice meme.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SortaCreative » Aug 28, '15, 2:52 pm

Circled Square wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:^ There's some pretty pictures for ya Circled Squared

>implying I'm a pro gun nut

Nice meme.

Stop being such a gun nut.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Circled Square » Aug 28, '15, 2:56 pm

triggered.

Remember, Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates per person along with the U.S in the entire world. They have a far, faaar lower rate of gun related homicides than the U.S.

Correlation does not imply causation. It's not just guns that are the problem.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Daz » Aug 28, '15, 3:02 pm

My feelings on this are the same as they’ve always been. Guns are weapons. That is their primary and only function. Even when used in “sport” or “recreation” they remain a weapon. Maybe I’m a bleeding heart liberal, but I don’t think it’s anyone’s right to own a weapon.

Something should have been done by now, the fact it hasn’t is ridiculous, and until it is, stupid and pointless deaths like this are going to continue to happen.

Also;

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

PreviousNext

Return to News and Politics