It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:06 am

Greatest Match Round 1: Cena/Punk MITB vs. Danielson/McGuinness Unified

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Which match was better?

Poll ended at Jun 16, '15, 1:08 pm

John Cena vs. CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011
81%
Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness, ROH Unified
19%

Total votes : 21

Greatest Match Round 1: Cena/Punk MITB vs. Danielson/McGuinness Unified

Postby Everlong » Jun 10, '15, 1:08 pm

SquaredCircle's Greatest Match of All Time!
(1) JOHN CENA VS CM PUNK, MONEY IN THE BANK 2011

VS

(8) BRYAN DANIELSON VS NIGEL MCGUINNESS, ROH UNIFIED

Could only find a highlights video, if anyone has the full thing please post it up!

VOTE NOW for which you liked better. Voting will last three days. In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by which match had more people commenting in its favor.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Greatest Match Round 1: Cena/Punk MITB vs. Danielson/McGuinness Unified

Postby Circled Square » Jun 10, '15, 1:11 pm

oh shit my bad :lol

Last edited by Circled Square on Jun 10, '15, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 10, '15, 1:12 pm

^ Don't think that's the same match dawg.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Messiah » Jun 10, '15, 2:20 pm

I will need to watch Danielson/McGuinness before I vote, but I would be surprised to see me not side with Punk/Cena here. Unlike Michaels/Angle, this match doesn't have as much replay value but if you watched it when it happened, then you remember how special it was. Money in the Bank 2011 was the first non-WrestleMania PPV I bought since SummerSlam 2008 and the build-up to Punk/Cena was the reason for it. Not only did the match live up to my expectations, it far exceeded them.

I'm still going to watch Danielson/McGuinness before I vote, but man it will be damn hard to top Punk/Cena.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 10, '15, 2:22 pm

^ I'm pretty much in the same boat here. It's a very rare thing to feel as excited as I did about that match, the atmosphere surrounding it was incredible and the match itself was great.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Viazon » Jun 10, '15, 3:06 pm

I have gone with CM Punk vs Cena. It feels a bit unfair, because I haven't seen the other match, which I am sure was a top class bout. But not only was this one a great match, but the storyline surrounding it made it all the better. Sometimes, that can really add something to a match. I can't remember the last time I wanted someone to win the title so badly. Even though I was 100% certain Punk would not win. Then he did and I was like, "Holy shit." There haven't been that many times while watching wrestling that has made me feel that way I did while watching that match.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Messiah » Jun 10, '15, 3:13 pm

I still can't believe the WWE found a way to fuck up the Punk/Cena aftermath, at least to the extent that they did. I mean, Kevin Nash? Really?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Str8Shooter » Jun 10, '15, 3:18 pm

Messiah wrote:I still can't believe the WWE found a way to fuck up the Punk/Cena aftermath, at least to the extent that they did. I mean, Kevin Nash? Really?

Lmao it hardly even seems real that Nash showed up. Every time I hear someone mention it it's like, "wait, that really did happen didn't it?". It sounds so ridiculous it's made up.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Jun 10, '15, 4:24 pm

As good as Punk/Cena was, a lot of the reason people enjoyed it so much was because of the major stipulation attached. That hung over the entire match and when Punk actually got to leave with the title, that was a huge moment. The surprise coloured a lot of people's opinions of the match. But then the stipulation wasn't adhered to at all. I think hindsight knocks a full star off that match. :lol

I haven't seen McGuinness vs Danielson though. I tried looking online, but I think all the matches I saw were from other pay per views. Myself and Kirbi are abstaining from voting until we see both matches, so we're hoping that @Vaderbomb will scare up a link for us. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby MotorCitySaint » Jun 10, '15, 4:43 pm

Punk's entrance was so fucking epic.

MotorCitySaint Male
Jobber
Jobber

Topics: 3

Postby Circled Square » Jun 10, '15, 5:04 pm

I gotta take Punk/Cena. I'm a sucker for big time, marquee matches that deliver.

then that shit happened. That, I truly sympathize with. Punk's an arrogant little shit but he was handled horribly. I have a faint memory of Kevin Nash in a ladder match or some shit with HHH that was abysmal. Ugh.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby Str8Shooter » Jun 10, '15, 5:11 pm

Circled Square wrote:then that shit happened. That, I truly sympathize with. Punk's an arrogant little shit but he was handled horribly

I definitely think Punk could have been booked better over his run, but I can't say he was handled horribly overall. I'd have a very hard time saying a guy who had over a 1 year reign with the title was handled that badly.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Jun 10, '15, 5:14 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
Circled Square wrote:then that shit happened. That, I truly sympathize with. Punk's an arrogant little shit but he was handled horribly

I definitely think Punk could have been booked better over his run, but I can't say he was handled horribly overall. I
'd have a very hard time saying a guy who had over a 1 year reign with the title was handled that badly.

It's fuzzy for me, but I remember him not main eventing PPV's. Having dumb feuds. Not even main eventing Raws. Sure he had a long reign, no doubt. I just think that the Summer Of Punk and a bit of the aftermath really are the only things that are memorable out of Punk's whole push and that's really sad.

It's not as if he wasn't successful, he just never peaked. We have had plenty of Punk though. The Jeff Hardy feud, the New Nexus (meh) and the S.E.S.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 10, '15, 5:15 pm

While i've mainly watched WWE. I have seen bits of ROH and TNA (to a lesser extent). Most of the ROH matches i've watched have been ones with either Bryan or Punk. So luckily for me, i've seen Bryan/Nigel.

My problems with this match really stem from my issues with ROH in general. At times I felt like it was ... too pretty. ROH was great for stiff action and this match certainly had that. But at times, for example in the opening arm hold sections, things would just be too flowerery. Too much wasted movement. Too much looking at the opponent flip to the floor, roll around just to escape the arm lock. That was usually my problem with ROH at times. Most of the time, the times I loved, it was stiff, it was brutal and the matches were visceral. But at times they'd do these spots and take you completely out of the logic and the story of the match. Regardless, this match is a great one. I remember seeing it at the time and being blown away. I've not seen it in years, I couldn't find a decent copy to rewatch it so that may colour my vote.

On the flipside, you have Punk vs. Cena. This match had everything going for it. A decent build, a decent angle, a fantastic crowd and a great match. It's hard to come across matches and moments like this in modern wrestling, especially in the WWE. Money in the Bank 2011 was like a love letter to the IWC and riding the emotions of that show lead to the main event. Punk vs. Cena for the WWE Title. It really couldn't get any better. Taken in this instance it's one of the best matches WWE has produced in ten years. Looking back, sure, it was a little odd that Punk came back so quickly but whatever. This match holds up and deserves to be in this tournament.

My vote goes to Punk/Cena

Also - Brett. Sure he had a year long title reign but he was never seen as the champion. Johnny Ace vs. Cena main evented over him.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Daz » Jun 10, '15, 7:52 pm

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby SlightlyJames » Jun 10, '15, 8:24 pm

Daz wrote:Danielson vs. McGuinness Full Match

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fgat1dfh4bbg ... d.avi?dl=0

This ended after 15 minutes with the match barely haven gotten going, is there another part I'm missing?

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Daz » Jun 10, '15, 9:43 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
Daz wrote:Danielson vs. McGuinness Full Match

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fgat1dfh4bbg ... d.avi?dl=0

This ended after 15 minutes with the match barely haven gotten going, is there another part I'm missing?

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Messiah » Jun 11, '15, 7:00 am

Hanley! wrote:As good as Punk/Cena was, a lot of the reason people enjoyed it so much was because of the major stipulation attached. That hung over the entire match and when Punk actually got to leave with the title, that was a huge moment. The surprise coloured a lot of people's opinions of the match.

I don't think that should be held against the match and it isn't the only match in the tournament guilty of this. For example, as good of a match as Hart/Austin is or may have been, it gets a huge boost because of how well done the ending was.

It was a fantastic match made even better by the flawless ending and the uncertainty surrounding it. We're not dealing with Undertaker/Lesnar here, which was a below average performance enhanced solely by its ending and its ramifications.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Tom » Jun 11, '15, 10:24 am

Messiah wrote:
Hanley! wrote:As good as Punk/Cena was, a lot of the reason people enjoyed it so much was because of the major stipulation attached. That hung over the entire match and when Punk actually got to leave with the title, that was a huge moment. The surprise coloured a lot of people's opinions of the match.

I don't think that should be held against the match and it isn't the only match in the tournament guilty of this. For example, as good of a match as Hart/Austin is or may have been, it gets a huge boost because of how well done the ending was.

It was a fantastic match made even better by the flawless ending and the uncertainty surrounding it. We're not dealing with Undertaker/Lesnar here, which was a below average performance enhanced solely by its ending and its ramifications.

Yeah, I agree with Messiah. Although the stipulation very much helped Punk vs Cena, this was the first time in a long time that a title match was billed so big and delivered on its expectations. I also think the build for the match seriously enhanced people's interest in it and made every big move and moment mean a lot more. The atmosphere was electric and the action was great. It was the first time in a very long time that I was really invested in a title match in WWE (maybe even a WWE match). It definitely belongs in the list of the greatest matches of all time, I haven't been as satisfied with a title match as much since.

I have seen the Bryan Danielson vs Nigel McGuinness match at Unified. However, one thing I lacked when viewing was the overall story and build going into the match. So while it was a good match, I don't think I was invested enough to call it one of the greatest matches I have ever seen. I was more impressed with some of the Briscoes tag matches that I watched in comparison to this one.

So my vote goes to Cena vs Punk at Money in the Bank!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby Hanley! » Jun 11, '15, 11:05 am

Messiah wrote:

That's fair enough, but I don't think you're fully grasping my point. Austin/Hart is remembered largely due to the amazing finish also. But that finish is still amazing in hindsight. The double turn had an impact on stories going forward. And Austin's refusal to tap out helped to get him over huge, and they capitalised on that big time afterwards.

The difference with Punk vs Cena is that they got the crowd hyped up based on lies. The stipulations were that if Punk won, he would leave the company with the title and Cena would be fired. Neither of these things happened. I know fans weren't really hoping for Punk to leave necessarily - they just wanted him to leave in storyline and for them to do something new and groundbreaking with his character. But we didn't get any of that. He was back a week later and it was almost like none of it had ever happened.

While Hart/Austin is still great in hindsight, Cena/Punk loses a lot through us knowing what happened next. It suffers on a rewatch because while back then this felt like a huge, significant moment in the company, we know now that it wasn't one. WWE just lied blatantly to the fans to elicit a response, knowing full well that they wouldn't follow through with any part of the stipulation. That does take away from the match when I go back and watch it again.

That being said, the match itself was still very good and highly worthy of praise. But I think people mostly only consider it one of the greatest matches ever because of the hype around it and the promise of change coming out of it, and that all turned out to be bullshit.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Next

Return to Squared Circle Classics