It is currently: May 03, '24, 3:59 pm

So New Yorkers, is this true?

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: So New Yorkers, is this true?

Postby Viazon » May 19, '15, 3:11 pm

Of course if you Google trash can if will give you a picture of a trash can. Just like searching soda can will give you a picture of a soda can. Just like a tin can will give you a picture of a tin can.

You Google bin, you get a bin. You get a trash can. You don't get a soda can. You don't get a tin can. A trash can is just another name for a bin.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 244

Postby Ali » May 19, '15, 3:16 pm

This conversation has bin extremely stupid.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 43

Postby SlightlyJames » May 19, '15, 3:25 pm

What is a bin man tho

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Viazon » May 19, '15, 3:27 pm

Osama Bin Laden.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Ali » May 19, '15, 3:29 pm

If I could draw, I would absolutely draw a superhero called Bin Man.

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Postby Viazon » May 19, '15, 3:41 pm

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » May 19, '15, 4:42 pm

Don't make me get Eurobot up in here.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » May 19, '15, 5:56 pm

Everlong wrote:Don't make me get Eurobot up in here.

Honest, I tried to simply ask a harmless question for clarification and then it exploded.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby War Daddy » May 19, '15, 6:36 pm

This fuckin site sometimes man. I swear.

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 19, '15, 9:19 pm

You seriously call them "bin man/men"? You brits havnt come up with some snooty sounding title like rubbish accumulators or refuse antiquarian?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby EmperorWu » May 19, '15, 10:52 pm

Damn some people are taking things way too seriously. Can't joke around anymore...

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Viazon » May 20, '15, 1:32 am

Westcoastvibes wrote:You seriously call them "bin man/men"? You brits havnt come up with some snooty sounding title like rubbish accumulators or refuse antiquarian?

They are men who empty out our buns. What else would we call them? There is no need to over simplify it.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby PorkChop » May 20, '15, 1:48 am

EmperorWu wrote:Damn some people are taking things way too seriously. Can't joke around anymore...

Which comments are you referring to exactly? I can't see anyone taking anything too seriously. This has been a pretty jokey discussion bar one comment on my behalf, as if someone is going to Google something and post picture of the results to try and win an argument, that's quite silly. Of course Google will have your back in the argument, because they're going to show you images of what you searched. That's what Google is designed to do.

Also, to suggest that people can't have fun here anymore when one of the posts above yours is of a bloke wearing a superhero bin man outfit which has +6 rep doesn't seem to add up. There have been some good posts in this thread. Also, I totally want that outfit for next Halloween.

Point: Bin men, trash collectors, refuse antiquarian, call them whatever you like. I've actually seen job descriptions here for "Waste disposal technicians", haha. No one really cares what you call them, but a 'technician' does seem to be reaching a bit :lol

Moving on from the discussion, I've just seen this:

The Legend wrote:

Honest, I tried to simply ask a harmless question for clarification and then it exploded.

Pro Tip: if you don't want thread to escalate and people to give you blunt repsonses, maybe try and avoid asking "harmless" questions about somebody's country, culture and language such as "WTF IS A _____??!!". You're an intelligent guy and could infer that we called them bin men from the original post and the posts which followed it. There was no need for you to make it and there was no need to say it that way. It was a dumb comment which deserved the responses it got. If I were a waste disposal technician, I would throw your comment in the back of my truck.

Moving on: I once borrowed a PC game off a friend called Bin Man. It was the most hilariously frustrating game I've ever played and you're totally going to want to play it after watching the video. Watch from about 40 seconds in:

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 2:19 am

PorkChop wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Pro Tip: if you don't want thread to escalate and people to give you blunt repsonses, maybe try and avoid asking "harmless" questions about somebody's country, culture and language such as "WTF IS A _____??!!". You're an intelligent guy and could infer that we called them bin men from the original post and the posts which followed it. There was no need for you to make it and there was no need to say it that way. It was a dumb comment which deserved the responses it got. If I were a waste disposal technician, I would throw your comment in the back of my truck.

Putting it in "quotes" doesn't invalidate it. It was harmless. It's a question about what Bin Man means, questions don't get much more harmless.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Matteo » May 20, '15, 3:51 am

Bin.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 5:20 am

Viazon wrote:They are men who empty out our buns. What else would we call them? There is no need to over simplify it.

I don't let any man touch my "buns"

PorkChop wrote:
The Legend wrote:Honest, I tried to simply ask a harmless question for clarification and then it exploded.

Pro Tip: if you don't want thread to escalate and people to give you blunt repsonses, maybe try and avoid asking "harmless" questions about somebody's country, culture and language such as "WTF IS A _____??!!". You're an intelligent guy and could infer that we called them bin men from the original post and the posts which followed it. There was no need for you to make it and there was no need to say it that way. It was a dumb comment which deserved the responses it got.

I don't appreciate your condescension and arrogance. Go back and read the whole thread. I started out by simply asking what a bin man is. SlightlyJames made some snooty remark actually saying a bin man isn't a trash collector. I asked again and got another sarcastic comment. It was only on the third time I asked when I realized that you damn Brits were all laughing at me that I phrased my question in the way in which you mention me asking the question.

PRO TIP: Stop being an ass.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 5:28 am

The Legend wrote:SlightlyJames made some snooty remark actually saying a bin man isn't a trash collector.

Nice assumption bro. Nothing in what I said carried that intention, I was a joke about the differences in our nomenclature, if there's anything "snooty" about it it's what you've projected onto us damn brits.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 5:35 am

SlightlyJames wrote:
The Legend wrote:SlightlyJames made some snooty remark actually saying a bin man isn't a trash collector.

Nice assumption bro. Nothing in what I said carried that intention, I was a joke about the differences in our nomenclature, if there's anything "snooty" about it it's what you've projected onto us damn brits.

I asked you a serious question, trying to gain knowledge and understanding so a conversation could respectfully be had. You responded sarcastically, with "Mine isn't, but yours might be", whatever could possibly mean. How is that not you being snooty?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 5:40 am

The Legend wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:

I asked you a serious question, trying to gain knowledge and understanding so a conversation could respectfully be had. You responded sarcastically, with "Mine isn't, but yours might be", whatever could possibly mean. How is that not you being snooty?

Because being snooty would be acting like I was better or higher class than you, whereas what I did is make a joke about having different names for guys who collect rubbish. It was my assumption that it would dawn on you what a bin man is from the context. It was meant to be playful, not malicious. What I think you've done is take some of the frustration from this prolonged, stupid argument and project it onto my initial joke, assuming I was being a dick.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Matteo » May 20, '15, 5:45 am

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics