It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 4:59 am

So New Yorkers, is this true?

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: So New Yorkers, is this true?

Postby PorkChop » May 20, '15, 5:48 am

SlightlyJames wrote:
The Legend wrote:SlightlyJames made some snooty remark actually saying a bin man isn't a trash collector.

Nice assumption bro. Nothing in what I said carried that intention, I was a joke about the differences in our nomenclature, if there's anything "snooty" about it it's what you've projected onto us damn brits.

Agreed. I never saw any 'snooty' remarks at all.

Kinda funny that someone who says they don't want threads to explode calls people says "WTF??!!" about a country's terminology, calls people snooty, arrogant, condescending and an ass (despite the person making a light-hearted joke at the end of their post in order to cool the topic down, which I noticed was oh-so-carefully edited out of the response) and calls people "damn Brits". Like seriously man. If you want to keep the peace and don't want threads to explode, stop going out of your way to insult people and incite arguments.

Can we just marvel at the awesome Bin Man game instead of try our best to create ANOTHER USA vs UK war?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » May 20, '15, 6:48 am

This is just childish. Lets all agree to be friends and move on.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Daz » May 20, '15, 6:51 am

I think everyone should take a breath and go and look up the meaning of the word sarcasm.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 6:57 am

Daz wrote:I think everyone should take a breath and go and look up the meaning of the word sarcasm.

Sarcasm is fine when both people are having a comedic and sarcastic conversation. But when someone is looking for a true and honest conversation they deserve better than to be given nothing, but sarcasm in return.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Daz » May 20, '15, 7:03 am

The Legend wrote:
Daz wrote:I think everyone should take a breath and go and look up the meaning of the word sarcasm.

Sarcasm is fine when both people are having a comedic and sarcastic conversation. But when someone is looking for a true and honest conversation they deserve better than to be given nothing, but sarcasm in return.

Sarcasm is how British people have a conversation. There is no difference between that and a true and honest conversation. And through sarcasm, your question was also answered. You even got a snazzy little video about a bin man game out of it.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 7:05 am

PorkChop wrote:Kinda funny that someone who says they don't want threads to explode calls people says "WTF??!!" about a country's terminology, calls people snooty, arrogant, condescending and an ass (despite the person making a light-hearted joke at the end of their post in order to cool the topic down, which I noticed was oh-so-carefully edited out of the response) and calls people "damn Brits". Like seriously man. If you want to keep the peace and don't want threads to explode, stop going out of your way to insult people and incite arguments.

I didn't say WTF about a country's terminology. I said WTF about the fact that nobody was answering a serious question I had despite prior attempts to get it a straight answer. I said those things only after I had been called out by you on a post that was simply meant to ask a question. I don't give a damn about a "light-hearted joke" and it wasn't edited out for any reason other than it wasn't pertinent to the topic at hand and what I was responding to. I edited a lot of unnecessary information out of the quotes because it was irrelevant.

I'm sick of whenever someone asks a question or tries to gain knowledge certain people on here horde that knowledge like it's a secret society and speaking a secret language that other people on here aren't cool enough to be a part of.

If people want to keep the peace around here how about everyone have the respect and courtesy for each other to answer simple, straight forward questions honestly and politely.

I mean seriously, that's the area where people need to grow up and stop being so childish.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 7:09 am

Daz wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Sarcasm is how British people have a conversation. There is no difference between that and a true and honest conversation. And through sarcasm, your question was also answered. You even got a snazzy little video about a bin man game out of it.

Sarcasm loses a lot of its appeal through a keyboard. When you can't hear the inflection and context in a person's voice, sarcasm has a mysterious way of coming across as arrogant. But whatever, I'll just stick to the safety of the NFL board from now on as the rest of the board gets taken over.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » May 20, '15, 7:43 am

I would definitely not have picked garbage cans to be the next subject of controversy on this site.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 8:29 am

Everlong wrote:I would definitely not have picked garbage cans to be the next subject of controversy on this site.

@Everlong

But see that's the problem and why we will have another one. This argument has nothing to do with trash cans or the men and women that it's their job to pick them up. This argument is about simple courtesy and respect. We should all have enough respect for each other that when one of us has a simple, straight forward question, which the answer will lead to a greater understanding and dialogue for everyone, then someone should have the courtesy to give that question a straight forward and honest response. It shouldn't be met with snarky and dismissive answers that only serve to be divisive and pot stirring.

If we want to see this forum have greater activity and see our community grow then that's the type of environment we need to be encouraging. We need more respect here to grow this community.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 8:49 am

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:I would definitely not have picked garbage cans to be the next subject of controversy on this site.

@Everlong

But see that's the problem and why we will have another one. This argument has nothing to do with trash cans or the men and women that it's their job to pick them up. This argument is about simple courtesy and respect. We should all have enough respect for each other that when one of us has a simple, straight forward question, which the answer will lead to a greater understanding and dialogue for everyone, then someone should have the courtesy to give that question a straight forward and honest response. It shouldn't be met with snarky and dismissive answers that only serve to be divisive and pot stirring.

If we want to see this forum have greater activity and see our community grow then that's the type of environment we need to be encouraging. We need more respect here to grow this community.

Don't act like you've been disrespected because people made jokes about bin men. It's only divisive when you take it that way. You're taking the most harmless topic in the world to get offended over, I really don't understand why you've taken such a righteous stand here when nothing of consequence has happened at all.

You keep saying that it was a simple, straight forward question and you're right, it was. That's why I tried to have fun with the answer. If you wanted to know as badly as you claimed it'd take no more than five seconds to google it. Take a second, calm down, let it go.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby Viazon » May 20, '15, 9:09 am

Yeah but seriously though. New Yorkers. Can you rate your bin man?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Daz » May 20, '15, 9:21 am

The Legend wrote:
Daz wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Sarcasm loses a lot of its appeal through a keyboard. When you can't hear the inflection and context in a person's voice, sarcasm has a mysterious way of coming across as arrogant. But whatever, I'll just stick to the safety of the NFL board from now on as the rest of the board gets taken over.

Clearly, as I thought you were making a pun with the "No need to go off route," comment. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. The question was answered, it was done so with a degree of humour, that evidently went over your head, and I haven't seen anything after that even remotely borders on disrespect. It's all be lighthearted little jibes, and anything beyond that, you've invented in your head.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 9:30 am

That formatting :lol

I'm not acting at all. I'll not apologize for you taking offence to a harmless joke. You're welcome to stick to whatever forums you want but there's no need to be upset.

Oh he deleted the post.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 9:35 am

SlightlyJames wrote:
The Legend wrote:

@Everlong

Don't act like you've been disrespected because people made jokes about bin men. It's only divisive when you take it that way. You're taking the most harmless topic in the world to get offended over, I really don't understand why you've taken such a righteous stand here when nothing of consequence has happened at all.

You keep saying that it was a simple, straight forward question and you're right, it was. That's why I tried to have fun with the answer. If you wanted to know as badly as you claimed it'd take no more than five seconds to google it. Take a second, calm down, let it go.

Do me a favor and don't tell me how what you said should make me feel. You don't have that right. The real problem here appears to be that you simply think you are funnier than you actually are. Next time just have the respect to answer a god damn question when it's asked.

Daz wrote:Clearly, as I thought you were making a pun with the "No need to go off route," comment. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. The question was answered, it was done so with a degree of humour, that evidently went over your head, and I haven't seen anything after that even remotely borders on disrespect. It's all be lighthearted little jibes, and anything beyond that, you've invented in your head.

Actually to be clear, a British person - let alone the specific person who created the thread that I asked the question to never did answer the question that I asked. The question was dismissed and ignored through humor in a way that didn't clarify anything at all.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 9:40 am

The Legend wrote:Do me a favor and don't tell me how what you said should make me feel.

The Legend wrote:Next time just have the respect to answer a god damn question when it's asked.

Just wanted to let that sit there.

It's irrelevant whether or not you found the jokes funny, that doesn't change the fact that they were jokes, had no malicious intent and that you are being irrationally angry. I'm not sure if you're just keeping it up now because you've come this far or if you genuinely can't understand that nobody was mocking you. I'm done trying to communicate this to you, be outraged all you like.

As far as you saying Aky hadn't answered your question, by the time he posted again Porky and to an extent myself had already answered it.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 9:49 am

SlightlyJames wrote:
The Legend wrote:Do me a favor and don't tell me how what you said should make me feel.

The Legend wrote:Next time just have the respect to answer a god damn question when it's asked.

Just wanted to let that sit there.

It's irrelevant whether or not you found the jokes funny, that doesn't change the fact that they were jokes, had no malicious intent and that you are being irrationally angry. I'm not sure if you're just keeping it up now because you've come this far or if you genuinely can't understand that nobody was mocking you. I'm done trying to communicate this to you, be outraged all you like.

Jokes can be jokes and have a malicious intent at the same time. Or at the very least have a malicious effect. Fine, you tried and failed miserably to be funny the first time. Fair enough. How come when I said I didn't get it and asked the question again you didn't just cut to the point? You and others instead decided to continue the joke and continue to be elusive and non-answering of the question.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 9:50 am

SlightlyJames wrote:Yeah, don't want to collect the wrong bins.

(I should point at out that as of this point I, like Daz, thought you had got the joke and were going with it)
PorkChop wrote:Bin man: as in, man who collects bins.

And if you hadn't got it by then...
PorkChop wrote:Bin men, trash collectors, refuse antiquarian, call them whatever you like. I've actually seen job descriptions here for "Waste disposal technicians", haha. No one really cares what you call them, but a 'technician' does seem to be reaching a bit

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 9:55 am

SlightlyJames wrote:

(I should point at out that as of this point I, like Daz, thought you had got the joke and were going with it)

PorkChop wrote:Bin men, trash collectors, refuse antiquarian, call them whatever you like. I've actually seen job descriptions here for "Waste disposal technicians", haha. No one really cares what you call them, but a 'technician' does seem to be reaching a bit

The only one of those that actually answers what a bin man is and what is in the bins was the last one by PorkChop and that was in the middle of the second page long after things had gone off the rails in this discussion and well after the question should have been answered in the first place.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 10:01 am

The Legend wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:

The only one of those that actually answers what a bin man is and what is in the bins was the last one by PorkChop and that was in the middle of the second page long after things had gone off the rails in this discussion and well after the question should have been answered in the first place.

I'd consider the first post from Porky to have been a sufficient answer, it came immediately after it became apparent that you still didn't know. At this point, everyone assumed you knew what it was.

From that point onwards it was the standard two-sided "our thing vs your thing" bit that happens here all the time and I'm pretty sure everyone was just messing around. I'm not a fan of it but what are you going to do. You then indicated for the first time that you had taken offense and still didn't get it and it was explained further.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 20, '15, 10:03 am

Man who collects bins isn't really clarifying at all.

World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics