It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 9:34 am

So New Yorkers, is this true?

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: So New Yorkers, is this true?

Postby War Daddy » May 20, '15, 2:08 pm

@Hanley! but that would require common sense. :P

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 122

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 2:12 pm

Hanley! wrote:@SlightlyJames & @PorkChop deliberately didn't answer the Legend's question to try to get a rise out of him. You can claim innocence all ye want, but it's really, really obvious that's what you were doing. It might have all been in the name of fun, but we've seen this exact kind of thing cause arguments before. And then when you did get a rise out of him, you acted affronted like that's not what you were going for on some level. And then you quickly got condescending about it. And come on, if you actually believe that "person who collects bins" is a valid explanation of what a bin collector is, I'd be astonished. You were taking the piss.

@Hanley!
I honestly wasn't. I had no interest in this argument whatsoever, if you'd notice I actually told Porky to ease up before my name got dropped and it was suggested that I was being a cunt with my initial reply, as that genuinely wasn't my intent I tried to shed some light on it. As he got offended about it and began suggesting that I'd done something disrespectful, yeah I started taking the piss after a while because it's a ridiculous thing to get upset about. I don't think you're a cunt for calling me out I just think you've misread the situation.

Last edited by SlightlyJames on May 20, '15, 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Viazon » May 20, '15, 2:12 pm

Jesus Hanley. Relax. We were only kidding. Sheesh.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby AkydefGoldberg » May 20, '15, 2:15 pm

Is it safe to pop in and ask that what the sales chap said, was BS then? lol

In another note - utterly amazed a thread of this nature has racked up five pages.

Can we put this in the Classics forum - think would feel a sense of pride having a thread in my name in there..

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 519

Postby Hanley! » May 20, '15, 2:21 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I honestly wasn't. I had no interest in this argument whatsoever, if you'd notice I actually told Porky to ease up before my name got dropped

Yeah, I did notice that. And gave you many props in my head for it, until things escalated again later. :P I think you saw Legend getting wound up and decided to poke the bear. And I'd be lying if I said you didn't get a laugh out of me over the course of this thread. But you knew it'd piss him off. Even if you think someone is making themselves an easy target, I don't think that's enough to justify taking shots at them.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby PorkChop » May 20, '15, 2:25 pm

Hanley! wrote:@SlightlyJames & @PorkChop deliberately didn't answer the Legend's question to try to get a rise out of him.

PorkChop wrote:
The Legend wrote:WTF is a BIN MAN!?!?

Bin man: as in, man who collects bins.

Does this not address the question adequately? What else could a "person who collects bins" be? People don't collect bins as a hobby like stamps or Pokemon cards, so you'd think that a "person who collects bins" would be a bin man, would you not?

I don't see how that comment is taking the piss at all, it was a legitimate response on my behalf. If it's been misinterpreted as a in such a way then I apologise, but I feel it's a perfectly adequate response.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 2:31 pm

Hanley! wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:I honestly wasn't. I had no interest in this argument whatsoever, if you'd notice I actually told Porky to ease up before my name got dropped

Yeah, I did notice that. And gave you many props in my head for it, until things escalated again later. :P I think you saw Legend getting wound up and decided to poke the bear. And I'd be lying if I said you didn't get a laugh out of me over the course of this thread. But you knew it'd piss him off. Even if you think someone is making themselves an easy target, I don't think that's enough to justify taking shots at them.

I'd no interest in winding him up. The reason I pursued it is that I was trying to get him to look at my comments for what they were rather than being so upset about something so insignificant.

At this point:
Do me a favor and don't tell me how what you said should make me feel. You don't have that right. The real problem here appears to be that you simply think you are funnier than you actually are. Next time just have the respect to answer a god damn question when it's asked.

I had soured.

I felt a very spiteful tone coming from that message and I'll admit that after that I was less pleasant. It seemed to carry a very hypocritical message that he had been preaching respect and then started talking like that. I was salty.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Hanley! » May 20, '15, 2:32 pm

@Porkchop - I don't think it was the "man" part of the word he was having trouble with somehow. He didn't know what a bin was. This was embarrassingly obvious. If you genuinely wanted to explain to an American what this piece of English vernacular meant, you wouldn't have used the exact same piece of vernacular in your explanation. You knew what you were doing.

EDIT: Just realised it looked like I was referring to SlightlyJames' post and not Porkchop's.

Last edited by Hanley! on May 20, '15, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby EmperorWu » May 20, '15, 3:03 pm

PorkChop wrote:
EmperorWu wrote:Damn some people are taking things way too seriously. Can't joke around anymore...

Which comments are you referring to exactly?

I was referring to Alpha Beast and The Legend. Also I assumed most of the comments were meant as jokes, although some were a little smartassy if that's a word. Including your post I just quoted, although I'm referring to some of the stuff I cut out, As well as the way I felt the thread was heading. Which in retrospect I was right, and so was Alpha Beast.

Also completely off topic. I had a pretty important topic I wanted to discuss, one that's been bothering me for a while. I've been considering posting about for days. But after the racism thread and now this, I think it's better I just forget about it.

Frankly this did get stupid. At some point someone needed to be the bigger man, say sorry and walk away.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby SlightlyJames » May 20, '15, 3:29 pm

@Hanley! I don't think it looked like that, I take each successive ^ as an indication of one post higher. So ^ would be at EmperorWu, ^^ would be at you, ^^^ would be at myself, etc.

Tagging does work better, though. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Kirbi » May 20, '15, 3:36 pm

EmperorWu wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
EmperorWu wrote:Damn some people are taking things way too seriously. Can't joke around anymore...

Which comments are you referring to exactly?

I was referring to Alpha Beast and The Legend. Also I assumed most of the comments were meant as jokes, although some were a little smartassy if that's a word. Including your post I just quoted, although I'm referring to some of the stuff I cut out, As well as the way I felt the thread was heading. Which in retrospect I was right, and so was Alpha Beast.

Also completely off topic. I had a pretty important topic I wanted to discuss, one that's been bothering me for a while. I've been considering posting about for days. But after the racism thread and now this, I think it's better I just forget about it.

Frankly this did get stupid. At some point someone needed to be the bigger man, say sorry and walk away.

Aw, no. :(

You should post whatever you want to.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby Twister » May 20, '15, 3:55 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I find it a little disconcerting that the only time we get active threads is when people get into bitchfests about dumbass things.

Yeah this place is worse than Mumsnet sometimes in that respect :lol

Come on guys, there are seriously much bigger things in the world to get all irate and angry about than a misunderstanding over bin men/garbage collectors/what ever you want to call them. Tone can be difficult to read over the internet but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss here.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Matteo » May 20, '15, 5:12 pm

I'm leaving this as my avatar for the day.

Matteo Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 195

Postby Suit&Tie » May 20, '15, 5:13 pm

Ladies and gentlemen,

My name is David Cunningham and I am here as the advocate for the reigning, defending, undisputed NFL heavyweight champion of squaredcircle, THE LEGEND.*

Since my client feels that his presence here is no longer welcomed or appreciated, I have officially been authorized to make a statement on his behalf. You see, Mr. Legend feels disrespected, offended, and defamed by the native British population here on squaredcircle. My client clearly did not harbor any nefarious intent when he first posted in this thread. He merely sought an answer to a puzzling question concerning British culture and its bizarre ways—which very few people actually understand, much less my client.

As soon as that question was raised, my client was violently, savagely, MALICIOUSLY assaulted by a gang of these island-dwelling hooligans. They even attempted to mask their evil intentions behind claims of “sarcasm” and “humor”. Well, my client was anything but amused. Mr. Legend feels he has no choice but to leave this forum for an indefinite period of time. It is our hope that his absence serves as the catalyst needed to bring about true change and progress to this once-great community.

Those of you who have at least some knowledge of law are surely familiar with the Monroe vs Kramer case of 1999, where an extremely similar situation occurred, and the results were... unfortunate to say the least. However, despite the heinous acts perpetrated against him, my client is a forgiving man. A man’s man. An American. Because of this, Mr. Legend has authorized me to inform you that he will NOT press charges… on one condition. He must be paid a sum of no less than $5000 for, and I quote, “emotional damages suffered as a result of this horrific incident”. He accepts checks or cash.

This concludes my client’s statement. Thank you for your time.

*This post is only intended as a parody of the thread and isn’t meant to offend anyone. I hope Legend comes back, he’s one of the best posters here.

Suit&Tie None specified
Mark
Mark

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Topics: 2

Postby Everlong » May 20, '15, 5:19 pm

I don't even know how to begin to respond to that :lol

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Viazon » May 20, '15, 5:22 pm

I wanna know who that was!

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Locke » May 20, '15, 5:41 pm

You British bastards.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 20, '15, 5:53 pm

So, we learned that a trash can is called a bin in England, the sanitation/refuse/trash collecter is called a bin man. I got to know one thing though..... is it called a bin truck or do yall call it a trash truck like the rest of the world?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby Locke » May 20, '15, 5:55 pm

They call it a garbage trolley.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 137

Postby Westcoastvibes » May 20, '15, 5:59 pm

Locke wrote:They call it a garbage trolley.

Isnt a trolley like an in town commuter train? Rides on tracks and shuttles people to various popular places in major cities?

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics