It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 2:46 am

I know way more racist people than I'd have expected

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: I know way more racist people than I'd have expected

Postby Locke » May 06, '15, 1:00 pm

So here's a sub-related question:

I see a lot of racism pinned on good ol' 'Murica, and many people (not necessarily in this thread) claim the United States is the most racist country in the world. Fair enough, but we all know the back story and why there's such a problem with at least white on black and black on white racism in the US. What are -other- countries excuse for having so many problems with black people? Off the top of my head, I know Australia has been accused of being pretty nasty about it, as well as UK and other smaller countries. What's their excuse?

Does it -really- come down to skin color? I hate to semi-quote a cheesy book on kids, but it's true that you don't see children refusing to play with each other because one is black and one is white or (insert other ethnic backgrounds here) until they're taught. I see it every day in my own son, he loves everyone, black or white, it doesn't matter. Eventually a child is taught, from TV or other people or even parents. I know what our excuse here is, what about other countries, what's their excuse?

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 137

Postby SKS » May 06, '15, 1:05 pm

If we keep saying that we aren't equal, then are we even really striving for equality? Are we trying to progress towards equality? I just don't get that. It shouldn't be a fairy tale, since we are all human beings. We should be saying that we ARE equal, and say that we deal with problems that any human being would deal with. Basically my opinion is that specific race-based events or months or holidays or rallies or whatever just solidifies that racism will never go away and contradicts the idea of equality. If we are all equal there shouldn't be a Black History Month. There shouldn't be a checklist where you mark your race on a job application. I understand that THERE IS racism, but if we are really striving for equality then no race should be any different and we have to SAY THAT rather than just stressing that certain races are at a disadvantage. If we can find a mindset that everyone is equal, then maybe we can eliminate those problems. Walking around a neighborhood being afraid of being judged SHOULDN'T happen, and should not be in that person's mind. Embrace the idea of equality and not the media powered crap that all cops hate black people, white people hate mexicans, God hates fags, etc. It DOES happen. But saying we are not equal does not solve anything. Like a coach going into a game he probably won't win. Does he say, get ready to lose? No, even if he needs a miracle, he believes his team will win. Believe that one day, equality will be everywhere instead constantly repeating the disadvantages that people face. We are making progress as a planet, even if it doesn't seem like it.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 266

Postby SlightlyJames » May 06, '15, 1:05 pm

^ As far as it goes here, nobody cares. It's a non-issue, at least as far as anybody I've ever come into contact with. There are idiots (usually elderly) who want to blame everything bad with the country on immigration and by extension hate anyone they don't identify as quintessentially British but those people are the loud minority and don't by any means represent the country as a whole.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby War Daddy » May 06, '15, 1:06 pm

Let's not forget black people sold their own kind into slavery. So whose fault is it really?

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Locke » May 06, '15, 1:21 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:Let's not forget black people sold their own kind into slavery. So whose fault is it really?

Thanks Obama.

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Messiah » May 06, '15, 1:23 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:Let's not forget black people sold their own kind into slavery. So whose fault is it really?

Initially I was going to respond to this post with a gif, but I'm not sure any gif could accurately show my reaction to this post.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby Daz » May 06, '15, 1:24 pm

I come from a largely white community. There's not a great deal of racism to be had here, but there's not really the chance to be either. I see some casual racism at football matches which always aggravates me. It's mostly done by drunk idiots trying to be funny, and never intended with a great deal of malice. It shouldn't happen though.

It's still prevalent the world over, so I don't think America is the most racist country in the world. I'm not even sure how you would even begin to measure that. I will say when I was in Australia, I didn't hear a lot of racism aimed at black people, but rather Asian people. I think too, America is still a young country in the grand scheme of things. You're so far ahead of so many countries in some respects, buy when it comes to social issues, you're like a hundred years behind everyone else. You're a wee little adolescent still trying to figure out your identity. You're still in the jocky "I'M DAH BEST OF ALL TIME" phase.

At this point, I think a lot of racism is inherited and really depends on the way individuals are raised. You don't see kids with a lot of prejudice, because they haven't had those thoughts put in their heads yet. They're too young to know any differently. Things are getting better in my mind. We're more tolerant and accepting of all types of people and social "taboos" and whatnot are slowly being bred "down" if not out.

Unfortunately, I doubt racism and the like will ever go away. We as human beings like to label ourselves and put ourselves in neat little boxes, and are prone to dislike anyone who doesn't fall under the same category. If it's not racism, we'll pick on social class, if not social class, then gender, if not gender then sexuality, if not sexuality, the size of someones feet, hair colour, eye colour, people who are left handed, people who sneeze more than three times in succession. We'll always as a species, find a way to be derogatory towards one another. The best we can hope for is that it's a small minority doing it, rather than the majority.

I'm not even sure what my original point was, I'm just rambling.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby The Legend » May 06, '15, 1:26 pm

Daz wrote:I come from a largely white community. There's not a great deal of racism to be had here, but there's not really the chance to be either. I see some casual racism at football matches which always aggravates me. It's mostly done by drunk idiots trying to be funny, and never intended with a great deal of malice. It shouldn't happen though.

It's still prevalent the world over, so I don't think America is the most racist country in the world. I'm not even sure how you would even begin to measure that. I will say when I was in Australia, I didn't hear a lot of racism aimed at black people, but rather Asian people. I think too, America is still a young country in the grand scheme of things. You're so far ahead of so many countries in some respects, buy when it comes to social issues, you're like a hundred years behind everyone else. You're a wee little adolescent still trying to figure out your identity. You're still in the jocky "I'M DAH BEST OF ALL TIME" phase.

At this point, I think a lot of racism is inherited and really depends on the way individuals are raised. You don't see kids with a lot of prejudice, because they haven't had those thoughts put in their heads yet. They're too young to know any differently. Things are getting better in my mind. We're more tolerant and accepting of all types of people and social "taboos" and whatnot are slowly being bred "down" if not out.

Unfortunately, I doubt racism and the like will ever go away. We as human beings like to label ourselves and put ourselves in neat little boxes, and are prone to dislike anyone who doesn't fall under the same category. If it's not racism, we'll pick on social class, if not social class, then gender, if not gender then sexuality, if not sexuality, the size of someones feet, hair colour, eye colour, people who are left handed, people who sneeze more than three times in succession. We'll always as a species, find a way to be derogatory towards one another. The best we can hope for is that it's a small minority doing it, rather than the majority.

You just wanted to feel a part of the conversation didn't you? :P

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Daz » May 06, '15, 1:28 pm

The Legend wrote:
Daz wrote:I come from a largely white community. There's not a great deal of racism to be had here, but there's not really the chance to be either. I see some casual racism at football matches which always aggravates me. It's mostly done by drunk idiots trying to be funny, and never intended with a great deal of malice. It shouldn't happen though.

You just wanted to feel a part of the conversation didn't you? :P

Yes. That is absolutely what I was doing.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby The Legend » May 06, '15, 1:29 pm

^^^ You are in good company. I only responded for the same reason. It took eight pages to get to a post that I felt comfortable quoting.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » May 06, '15, 1:32 pm

SKS wrote:If we keep saying that we aren't equal, then are we even really striving for equality? Are we trying to progress towards equality? I just don't get that. It shouldn't be a fairy tale, since we are all human beings. We should be saying that we ARE equal, and say that we deal with problems that any human being would deal with.

Yes, equality is always a goal. But you're kidding yourself if you think that right now we are equal. Just saying it doesn't make it so. America was founded on the principles of equality, yes. But do you honestly think that we live up to those principles on an everyday basis?

Hell, take race out of the equation for a second and look at distribution of wealth in the country. The top 1 percent of the country controls 35.6 percent of the nation's total wealth. Source: http://www.epi.org/page/-/BriefingPaper292.pdf

It's not just enough to say "this is America, we're all equal here." We actually have to walk the walk, too.

SKS wrote: If we are all equal there shouldn't be a Black History Month.

ok, I'm sorry, but I don't know how to respond to this because it's really fucking stupid.

SKS wrote:Basically my opinion is that specific race-based events or months or holidays or rallies or whatever just solidifies that racism will never go away and contradicts the idea of equality.

Equality isn't about eliminating cultural differences. We can still celebrate unique cultures while being equal. That's what makes the hypothetical vision of America so great.

SKS wrote: I understand that THERE IS racism, but if we are really striving for equality then no race should be any different and we have to SAY THAT rather than just stressing that certain races are at a disadvantage. If we can find a mindset that everyone is equal, then maybe we can eliminate those problems.

Again, it's not enough just to say it. You can say there's no difference in races all you want, that doesn't make it true. I already highlighted how the color of your skin alone is a major factor in the kind of struggles you'll face. While we are all people and we are all citizens of the same planet, race is still a huge dividing factor in terms of the experiences a person will face throughout their lives. You are right though--a big part of creating change is changing mindsets. But the only way you actually can change mindsets is by realizing that everyone is NOT equal, and that is the problem we need to confront.

SKS wrote:But saying we are not equal does not solve anything. Like a coach going into a game he probably won't win. Does he say, get ready to lose? No, even if he needs a miracle, he believes his team will win.

Ok, well first of all this is a nonsensical analogy. And no, saying we are not equal doesn't solve anything in itself. But the realization that we are not equal is the first step toward actually changing people's mindsets and instilling in them a desire to take the necessary steps toward achieving ACTUAL equality. And from what you're saying, you don't actually believe that we are not equal, which means you can't take those next steps. That's the issue here.

SKS wrote:Believe that one day, equality will be everywhere instead constantly repeating the disadvantages that people face. We are making progress as a planet, even if it doesn't seem like it.

We are making progress to an extent, but it's not because people are "believing." The reason it's important to repeat these disadvantages is because there are so many people who think like you, and are unaware of the level of privilege that comes with being born in a certain race/class/cultural position.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » May 06, '15, 1:34 pm

Please tell me you're joking.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » May 06, '15, 1:54 pm

Daz wrote:people who sneeze more than three times in succession.

Vince McMahon is that you?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby War Daddy » May 06, '15, 1:58 pm

Messiah wrote:

Initially I was going to respond to this post with a gif, but I'm not sure any gif could accurately show my reaction to this post.

When Kein is racist it's because of his upbringing. When circled square is racist it's because he's ignorant. When I'm racist, the world stops.

I just wanted to be apart of this thread ok...

For though, I walk through the valley of the Deadman, I fear NO evil for I walk beside Brock Lesnar.

Major credit to Irin for the av and sig
War Daddy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 122

Postby Locke » May 06, '15, 2:17 pm

ITT I learned that Tim is the ultimate whitey apologist. He's going to get shot, killed, and raped (in that order) by the biggest black sumbitch you've ever seen, because this is an ironic and mean planet. :lol

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Everlong » May 06, '15, 2:22 pm

Locke wrote:ITT I learned that Tim is the ultimate whitey apologist.

Wouldn't it be black guy apologist? Either way, given some of the things that have been said in this thread by people who disagree with me, I'll take that as a compliment of the highest order.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » May 06, '15, 2:22 pm

Everlong wrote:I trashed most of my long reply, because at this point it's basically like bashing my head into concrete. But I couldn't resist this:

Circled Square wrote:It's all part of this Leftist movement indoctrinating people throughout the United States.

Says the guy consistently quoting far right, libertarian tea party icons like Ron Paul, Rand Paul and Charlton Heston. Are you sure you're not the one who's indoctrinated here?

If I'm going to be "indoctrinated," at least it's with a mindset of actually giving a fuck about making some real positive change and helping people to overcome generations of inequaltiy.

I don't really like Heston man. He was the leader of the NRA. He just made a good point and I thought it made sense to share it.

I come from the far right, you seem to be more from the Left, when I read your posts I want to put a toothpick under my big toenail and kick a wall. My argument is I want the blavks to start having a post oppression mindset and be responsible for themselves. I might be jumping the gun a little bit ofc. It might not be that time yet.

But I really, really want it to be.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Locke » May 06, '15, 2:24 pm

Everlong wrote:
Locke wrote:ITT I learned that Tim is the ultimate whitey apologist.

Wouldn't it be black guy apologist? Either way, given some of the things that have been said in this thread by people who disagree with me, I'll take that as a compliment of the highest order.

Yeah, maybe? It's a hard one to phrase. I meant it as nothing offensive, either. Just a funny. :cheers

Locke Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Daz » May 06, '15, 2:26 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
Messiah wrote:

When Kein is racist it's because of his upbringing. When circled square is racist it's because he's ignorant. When I'm racist, the world stops.

Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Circled Square » May 06, '15, 2:27 pm

Alpha Beast wrote:
Messiah wrote:

That's what I never got myself, in history class.

When you go after drugs, you want to catch the dealer, right? The guy who sells the product, right?

So why did they make it seem as if they just stopped at the shore and led a bunch of stray Africans into a boat? We got sold by our own people lmao. It's fucking sad. Even worse, the first slave owner in America was a black man. You can't make that shit up. It's disputed ofc, but he's certainly one of the earliest cases. Read it for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics