It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:46 pm

I know way more racist people than I'd have expected

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

I know way more racist people than I'd have expected

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:24 pm

Whenever these types of riots like what's happening in Baltimore go on, or like what happened in Ferguson, people really reveal their true colors on Facebook/Twitter/etc. I guess these events are useful for revealing racists.

Anyone else have these realizations lately? Like, not only does everyone feel as if it's their duty to publicly rant about these things, but so many of them also happen to be kind of bigoted. It's depressing man.

Originally posted in The Pub. Moved to Classics on May 20, 2015

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: I know way more racist people than I'd have expected

Postby The Legend » Apr 29, '15, 4:29 pm

I would say that what I hear isn't so racist, as I get a lot of other character flaws from a lot of people on social media.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:31 pm

What do you mean by that John?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Apr 29, '15, 4:36 pm

Oh fuck yes. It's amazing how oblivious they can be too. I've heard people say some of the most fucked up shit, and then they insist they're not racist. It's fucking unbelievable. A depressingly large percentage of people I know are like this.

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:37 pm

EmperorWu wrote:Oh fuck yes. It's amazing how oblivious they can be too. I've heard people say some of the most fucked up shit, and then they insist they're not racist. It's fucking unbelievable. A depressingly large percentage of people I know are like this.

Yeah totally. It's amazing how insulated these people are. Like they've lived such sheltered lifestyles that they don't even know racism when it comes out of their own mouths (or keyboards).

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 29, '15, 4:37 pm

Everlong wrote:What do you mean by that John?

I know way more people, that in various situations will actively criticize people for not following their rules of life or making choices that are different from what they believe everyone should do. Mostly, I know too many way over religious people that would essentially criticize people they know or don't know for "not living by the bible". I can't think of too many specific examples off hand, but you get my drift.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 29, '15, 4:39 pm

Everlong wrote:
EmperorWu wrote:Oh fuck yes. It's amazing how oblivious they can be too. I've heard people say some of the most fucked up shit, and then they insist they're not racist. It's fucking unbelievable. A depressingly large percentage of people I know are like this.

Yeah totally. It's amazing how insulated these people are. Like they've lived such sheltered lifestyles that they don't even know racism when it comes out of their own mouths (or keyboards).

I hope you call them out on their shit then. If what they're saying is that bad then somebody should.

Out of curiosity, what's some of the stuff that's been said?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:41 pm

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:What do you mean by that John?

I know way more people, that in various situations will actively criticize people for not following their rules of life or making choices that are different from what they believe everyone should do. Mostly, I know too many way over religious people that would essentially criticize people they know or don't know for "not living by the bible". I can't think of too many specific examples off hand, but you get my drift.

Ah yeah, I get you -- that's also something that occasionally pops up on my social media whenever gay marriage is a big topic (as it has been the past couple days cus of the supreme court hearings), but for the most part that stuff is pretty quiet for me.

What I really hear a lot during these riots is stuff like "these thugs are disgusting" and "these monkeys belong in prison" and "black people will never be taken seriously if they behave like this every time one of these issues comes up." It's infuriating.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:42 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I hope you call them out on their shit then. If what they're saying is that bad then somebody should.

See my above posts. For the most part I try to stay out of this stuff, but if it gets real bad then I definitely say something. But how exactly do you go about explaining the ridiculously complicated history of racial prejudice and racial relations in the United States to someone who can't get past what they see on the television screen? A lot of times it's fighting a clearly losing battle.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby EmperorWu » Apr 29, '15, 4:45 pm

My favorite one I saw recently is a picture a bunch of my friends posted with a soldier posing in front of an American flag while holding an assault rifle, along with a rant about the Baltimore "riots", then the soldier who posted the rant insists he's not racist and that people should not twist his words into "racial shit". Oh also in the picture he's posing behind a bucket of KFC and is pouring grape soda on the ground, but remember he's not even remotely racist. FUCK YOU DUDE! :facepalm :jerk

EmperorWu Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 62

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 29, '15, 4:46 pm

Everlong wrote:What I really hear a lot during these riots is stuff like "these thugs are disgusting" and "these monkeys belong in prison" and "black people will never be taken seriously if they behave like this every time one of these issues comes up." It's infuriating.

People really say "these monkeys"!? Wow, who would be dumb enough to dare say something like that on FB where people they know can see it?

"These thugs are disgusting" isn't racist though to me. I mean thugs can come in all colours and races.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Apr 29, '15, 4:49 pm

Everlong wrote:
Str8Shooter wrote:I hope you call them out on their shit then. If what they're saying is that bad then somebody should.

See my above posts. For the most part I try to stay out of this stuff, but if it gets real bad then I definitely say something. But how exactly do you go about explaining the ridiculously complicated history of racial prejudice and racial relations in the United States to someone who can't get past what they see on the television screen? A lot of times it's fighting a clearly losing battle.

I'm with you Tim. For the most part, I don't find social media to be an appropriate forum to have these discussion/debate/arguments and I just ignore it. Especially because they are usually people that I don't know all that well or they are family members that I don't want to start some kind of family feud over.

Typically for me what I do is if someone annoys me with something, I'll block that post from my timeline as well as anything else that person might post from the same source (if it's a meme or article or something of the like). If they post multiple things that I don't like eventually I'll block from seeing updates from that person entirely. Happens rarely, but occasionally. the block button can be a powerful tool.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby The Legend » Apr 29, '15, 4:50 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:"These thugs are disgusting" isn't racist though to me. I mean thugs can come in all colours and races.

They can, but if you pay attention, you'd be surprised how many people will only use the term thug when talking about a black person.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 29, '15, 4:51 pm

The Legend wrote:
Str8Shooter wrote:"These thugs are disgusting" isn't racist though to me. I mean thugs can come in all colours and races.

They can, but if you pay attention, you'd be surprised how many people will only use the term thug when talking about a black person.

Yeah that's probably true, but I wouldn't feel comfortable calling someone a racist just for that line though.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby SKS » Apr 29, '15, 4:52 pm

People that use the word thug really annoy me, and 99% of the time it's just a veiled version of saying nigger. If you're gonna be racist just say it.

I thankfully don't know a lot of racist people, I mean my friends and I joke around about race and stereotypes all the time but nothing is taken seriously as we're all from diverse backgrounds and we don't mean to be hurtful.

We don't spew hate on social media like these (most of the time) hardcore conservatives have during any kind of riot. And it just makes whoever is saying it sound like a giant asshole. Keep your politics, religion, and racism to yourself. No one gives a shit.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:53 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Yeah that's probably true, but I wouldn't feel comfortable calling someone a racist just for that line though.

Yeah I wouldn't necessarily call someone a full blown racist for using the word thug, but it's definitely racially motivated and insensitive and for some reason people have found it an acceptable way to basically call someone a "nigger" without having to actually say the word. The Legend is totally right about that.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Apr 29, '15, 4:53 pm

SKS wrote:People that use the word thug really annoy me, and 99% of the time it's just a veiled version of saying nigger. If you're gonna be racist just say it.

Yep exactly.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 29, '15, 4:55 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I wouldn't call it racist if I just saw the person say it once, but if they use it a few times and you can see a pattern develop you can tell when it becomes racist.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 29, '15, 4:56 pm

The Legend wrote:
Str8Shooter wrote:
The Legend wrote:

I wouldn't call it racist if I just saw the person say it once, but if they use it a few times and you can see a pattern develop you can tell when it becomes racist.

Well it would all depend on context I guess, if they were posting a bunch of other questionable stuff first then it would be easier to draw that conclusion.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Daz » May 03, '15, 9:10 pm

With the election in the UK coming up, I've seen a lot of casual racism being thrown around as people try to justify voting for UKip. People by and large, are idiots, and don't think about the implications of what they're saying, especially on social media. Needless to say though, my friends list has been significantly culled.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Next

Return to Squared Circle Classics