It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 12:12 pm

Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 11:05 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:I'm not really seeing how it relates at all. If someone did happen to be making 50 mil from anything it is absolutely not slavery. You're really grasping here.

You didn't understand the lyrics. J Cole's verse compares slavery to the music industry today. Simple as that, those aren't my lyrics, that's his lol. He summarizes how the old rich white guy still calls the shots even in Hip hop, a pro-dominant black genre.

Dave Chappelle's quote talks about how a black artist is portrayed as "sick" and mentally ill. For example, people claimed Dave Chappelle was a crackhead despite him being a devout Muslim and never being in the headlines for a drug problem before. Just his take on the media and how they're dismissive.

I'm still missing the part where any of these guys get whipped and beaten to make them do manual labour for free.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:29 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:I'm not really seeing how it relates at all. If someone did happen to be making 50 mil from anything it is absolutely not slavery. You're really grasping here.

You didn't understand the lyrics. J Cole's verse compares slavery to the music industry today. Simple as that, those aren't my lyrics, that's his lol. He summarizes how the old rich white guy still calls the shots even in Hip hop, a pro-dominant black genre.

Dave Chappelle's quote talks about how a black artist is portrayed as "sick" and mentally ill. For example, people claimed Dave Chappelle was a crackhead despite him being a devout Muslim and never being in the headlines for a drug problem before. Just his take on the media and how they're dismissive.

I'm still missing the part where any of these guys get whipped and beaten to make them do manual labour for free.

He isn't talking about institutionalized slavery hence "we all slaves now, the chains concealed"

He is talking about the mentality of slave owners sleeping with slaves but more improtantly how slave owners would mentally break slaves down. For example; pitting light skin black males against dark skin black males.

Cole breaks down the song at 4:40

http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/921802/j ... id=1709255

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 155

Postby Daz » Aug 09, '14, 1:18 am

All this talk of the media spinning a narrative to portray Kanye West as a douchebag ... He called his album Yeezus for goodness sake. If that wasn't proof enough that he's a douchebag then nothing is. Simple as that.

Using sales figures to reflect a person's character is completely arbitrary. The fact he was calling himself a musical genius and the Michael Jackson of hip hop before ever picking up a microphone,or selling a single record, suggests he's the self aggrandizing prat the majority here seems to believe he is, and you Danielson are only furthering the point for us.

And on the subject of institutional slavery ... it sounds to me that one black man would prefer to work for another black man and that's all it is. Quite frankly, it shouldn't matter what colour your boss is, especially if he's helping you make money doing your chosen profession. If I had a job that paid me millions of dollars and gave me the platform to spout utter gibberish and marry a vapid caricature of a person, I'm not sure it'd matter if he was black, white, yellow or half a lizard with a mermaid tail.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 09, '14, 1:48 am

Daz wrote:All this talk of the media spinning a narrative to portray Kanye West as a douchebag ... He called his album Yeezus for goodness sake. If that wasn't proof enough that he's a douchebag then nothing is.

‘I am a god,’ everybody says ‘Who does he think he is?’ I just told you who I thought I was. A god. I just told you. That’s who I think I am. Would it have been better if I had a song that said ‘I am a gangster’ or if I had a song that said ‘I am a pimp.’ All those colors and patinas fit better on a person like me, right? But to say you are a god, especially when you got shipped over to the country that you’re in, and your last name is a slave owner’s. How could you say that? How could you have that mentality?”.

Also Kanye's not the only rapper to call himself a God. Jay constantly refers to himself as a God, Eminem has compared himself to the Devil & God.

Even John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

But of course when Kanye says it, all hell breaks loose, :lol

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Daz » Aug 09, '14, 1:49 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Daz wrote:All this talk of the media spinning a narrative to portray Kanye West as a douchebag ... He called his album Yeezus for goodness sake. If that wasn't proof enough that he's a douchebag then nothing is.

‘I am a god,’ everybody says ‘Who does he think he is?’ I just told you who I thought I was. A god. I just told you. That’s who I think I am. Would it have been better if I had a song that said ‘I am a gangster’ or if I had a song that said ‘I am a pimp.’ All those colors and patinas fit better on a person like me, right? But to say you are a god, especially when you got shipped over to the country that you’re in, and your last name is a slave owner’s. How could you say that? How could you have that mentality?”.

Also Kanye's not the only rapper to call himself a God. Jay constantly refers to himself as a God, Eminem has compared himself to the Devil & God.

Even John Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

But of course when Kanye says it, all hell breaks loose, :lol

As others have said in this thread ... anyone that compares them self to good is an arrogant douchebag. Not just Kanye.

Also the quote itself is just riddled with douchebaggery. First and foremost, he wasn't shipped over to the country that he was in, he was born in the country he was in, probably the third or fourth in his fucking family line to have been born in America. If I were to say "Oh I was shipped over to England to invade as part of the Norman invasion in 1066" people would look at me funny. It's part of his history and the collective history of the world, but making it a personal thing as if it happened to him isn't a measure of his artistry, it's just plain fucking stupid and doesn't validate his opinion in anyway.

Saying you're a god a hundred times doesn't make it so either. It just makes you an attention seeking wanker, which is the point I've been trying to make all along. And what makes it sad is he does have talent, he may have a good message to make, but it's buried beneath all this fucking bullshit and an attitude that makes you not want to pay attention. Maybe he should focus more on actually making the point, rather than the fact he's the one making it.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby prophet » Aug 09, '14, 3:51 am

I really don't know how this escalated quite as much as it did.

Wasn't the original point of the thread a light-hearted dig at Kanye West inspired by another outlandish thing he said? The majority seem to think he's an idiot, nobody is questioning his talent or the influence his music has, they're just arguing that he's a bit of an arsehole (which he totally is). You can like someone's music without not liking the person, I'm not sure why you're defending him so passionately to be honest.

Race, lyrics and everything else you're all talking about aside - this thread began as a group of people agreeing that Kanye West is unbelievably arrogant - what's wrong with that? The way discussion spiralled way off topic is baffling to me.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Kirbi » Aug 09, '14, 6:49 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:The verse takes a lot of turns but the main point is juxtaposing slavery to the relationship music executives have on artist. Hence the line, "Could I run away from 50 mill like Dave Chappelle" and "only difference is we all slaves now, the chains concealed".

You say yourself here that he's juxtaposing the situation against slavery - he doesn't go to the extent that West has in his comparison. He doesn't explicitly mention agreement with West's sentiments. The fact that he mentions slavery in his song, and also mentions Chappelle refusing money, doesn't directly relate at all.

And even if we were to accept your argument about these lyrics, then you'd have come up with exactly one person who agrees with him, and it's not one of the people you previously mentioned. Where's Springsteen, Reed, John, etc - and all of those music journalists?

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby PorkChop » Aug 09, '14, 8:25 am

prophet wrote:I really don't know how this escalated quite as much as it did.

Wasn't the original point of the thread a light-hearted dig at Kanye West inspired by another outlandish thing he said? The majority seem to think he's an idiot, nobody is questioning his talent or the influence his music has, they're just arguing that he's a bit of an arsehole (which he totally is). You can like someone's music without not liking the person, I'm not sure why you're defending him so passionately to be honest.

Race, lyrics and everything else you're all talking about aside - this thread began as a group of people agreeing that Kanye West is unbelievably arrogant - what's wrong with that? The way discussion spiralled way off topic is baffling to me.

Agreed. Danielson's gone so far off-topic I don't even know what he's arguing about anymore :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 09, '14, 8:40 am

Kirbi wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:The verse takes a lot of turns but the main point is juxtaposing slavery to the relationship music executives have on artist. Hence the line, "Could I run away from 50 mill like Dave Chappelle" and "only difference is we all slaves now, the chains concealed".

You say yourself here that he's juxtaposing the situation against slavery - he doesn't go to the extent that West has in his comparison. He doesn't explicitly mention agreement with West's sentiments. The fact that he mentions slavery in his song, and also mentions Chappelle refusing money, doesn't directly relate at all.

And even if we were to accept your argument about these lyrics, then you'd have come up with exactly one person who agrees with him, and it's not one of the people you previously mentioned. Where's Springsteen, Reed, John, etc - and all of those music journalists?

Yes he does match the same exact sentiments as Kanye West, the lyrics are so obvious. The lyrics are literally broken down here.

http://rap.genius.com/1846668

Also why would Springsteen, Reed or Elton John make pro black music? I brought them up because they like his music and him.

I was explaining that a lot of Hip Hop artist share the same message and ideas Kanye West gets bashed for. I just showed you several artist who expresses the same emotions and same message as Kanye West.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Kirbi » Aug 09, '14, 8:57 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Kirbi wrote:

Yes he does match the same exact sentiments as Kanye West, the lyrics are so obvious. The lyrics are literally broken down here.

Also why would Springsteen, Reed or Elton John make pro black music? I brought them up because they like his music and him.

I was explaining that a lot of Hip Hop artist share the same message and ideas Kanye West gets bashed for. I just showed you several artist who expresses the same emotions and same message as Kanye West.

You showed me one, and even then it's dubious i.e. he uses slavery as a comparison, but doesn't go to the lengths that West does in stating that it's today's form of slavery. This being the thing that people have a problem with. Basically, you've shown that other people are capable of making points about the exploitation in the industry while being only kind of dodgy, instead of being a total cuntbar. Colour me shocked.

I brought up Springsteen, Reed and John because you did say that they like him, but you haven't shown that they like anything about him but him musical talent. As that is not the subject of this thread, it is irrelevant. You said that they, people like them, and musical journalists had stated that he was -
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:one of the more genuine people in the music industry.

You haven't shown that any of them have said that, or any similar sentiments.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Those lyrics and quotes people here find douchebaggy or whatever are the same lyrics and quotes journalist, professors, musicians, and music listeners enjoy. That's what I've been trying to say.

Basically, this is the point that you have yet to prove. I'm guessing that it's because you can't.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby Hanley! » Aug 09, '14, 9:05 am

Danielson, take it from somebody who knows all too well: when Kirbi digs her heels in like this, the argument has already been lost. There is no winning at that point, there's just escaping with some portion of dignity still intact. :lol

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Tom » Aug 09, '14, 9:07 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Kirbi wrote:

Just because Springsteen (for example) said that he likes Kanye West or his music does not mean that he fundamentally believes the music industry is comparable to slavery. Springsteen also said that he enjoys listening to 2 Pac but that does not mean that he agrees with everything he says in his lyrics.

Kanye maybe a fascinating performer and an interesting character. I enjoy his music. But he certainly falls into the category of being on a**hole. That is not to say that he is not the only person in the music industry that is an a**hole. But just because he isn't the only one that is in it that isn't one certainly doesn't make him any less of one!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby The Legend » Aug 09, '14, 9:09 am

Hanley! wrote:Danielson, take it from somebody who knows all too well: when Kirbi digs her heels in like this, the argument has already been lost. There is no winning at that point, there's just escaping with some portion of dignity still intact. :lol

I think all chances of that have been lost by this point as well, where were you 3-4 pages ago with that advice?

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Aug 09, '14, 9:12 am

The Legend wrote:
Hanley! wrote:Danielson, take it from somebody who knows all too well: when Kirbi digs her heels in like this, the argument has already been lost. There is no winning at that point, there's just escaping with some portion of dignity still intact. :lol

I think all chances of that have been lost by this point as well, where were you 3-4 pages ago with that advice?

Maybe part of me just enjoys it when it's being directed at somebody else. :P

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 09, '14, 9:17 am

[quote=Kirbi]You showed me one, and even then it's dubious i.e. he uses slavery as a comparison, but doesn't go to the lengths that West does in stating that it's today's form of slavery. This being the thing that people have a problem with. Basically, you've shown that other people are capable of making points about the exploitation in the industry while being only kind of dodgy, instead of being a total cuntbar. Colour me shocked.[/quote]
How is it dubious? lol, the annotation I posted for you even links to Kanye's message. Regardless if you agree with it or not, he still approaches and talks about the same content as him.

Basically, this is the point that you have yet to prove. I'm guessing that it's because you can't.

Okay, I'll just link you to all the articles that review the album and like his lyrics.

http://www.adequacy.net/2013/06/kanye-west-yeezus/
http://prettymuchamazing.com/reviews/kanye-west-yeezus
http://www.xxlmag.com/rap-music/reviews ... st-yeezus/

They pretty much are fascinated about the content he raps about and praise him for it.

If Kanye's an asshole for the way he thinks and the message he puts across his music then everyone else in the hip hop community who supports him or echo the same things that he does must all be assholes as well.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Kirbi » Aug 09, '14, 10:06 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Kirbi wrote:You showed me one, and even then it's dubious i.e. he uses slavery as a comparison, but doesn't go to the lengths that West does in stating that it's today's form of slavery. This being the thing that people have a problem with. Basically, you've shown that other people are capable of making points about the exploitation in the industry while being only kind of dodgy, instead of being a total cuntbar. Colour me shocked.

How is it dubious? lol, the annotation I posted for you even links to Kanye's message. Regardless if you agree with it or not, he still approaches and talks about the same content as him.

It's dubious because, as I stated:
Kirbi wrote: he uses slavery as a comparison, but doesn't go to the lengths that West does in stating that it's today's form of slavery.
As in, it is your use of this song as an example of someone other that West saying that the music industry's exploitation of its artists is today's form of slavery, that I find dubious.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

Okay, I'll just link you to all the articles that review the album and like his lyrics.

http://www.adequacy.net/2013/06/kanye-west-yeezus/

Well, this one appears to reference the lyrics specifically in these sections of the review:

(Spoiler-tagged for collapsibility - I've also done this below.)

• "As Kid Cudi sings out, “if you loved me so much then why’d you let me go?” it’s crystal-clear that he’s delivering West’s message about being hurt and never truly understanding one’s intentions.The magic in Yeezus comes from West’s significant ability at being able to tie in poignant feelings with tremendously gifted and soaring melodies and hooks."
  • "On “Hold My Liquor” West contradicts his meanings with Justin Vernon’s opening about how he [West] can definitely hold his liquor; but then in the entire, sole, verse of the song West details his drunken escapades and thus, is asking someone to hold his liquor so this monster doesn’t appear again. The album circulates around West’s personal tendencies and paints the picture of an imperfect soul – one that is still very much learning the curve of life and how to overcome all of his issues."
  • "West’s swagger is in full effect of course, with the opening line to the album being “Yeezus season approaching.”"

None of these statements make the slightest reference to 'political statements' of any kind, let alone to his comments on 'new slavery'.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:http://prettymuchamazing.com/reviews/kanye-west-yeezus

So, I'm going to focus on the fact that this one actually does make specific reference to his commentary in 'New Slaves', rather than going through all the lyrical references. The review states -

The notable exception of course being “New Slaves,” where West draws a (problematic) line between abhorrent Jim Crow racism and the marketing of luxury goods to young, poor African-Americans. The song lands its true stinging blow, however, when it targets America’s shameful War on Drugs:

Meanwhile the DEA, teamed up with the CCA
They tryn’a lock niggas up, they tryn’a make new slaves
See that’s that privately owned prison, get your piece today
They prolly all in the Hamptons, bragging ’bout what they made

So, while this reviewer broadly appreciates West's lyrics, they also state that the slavery connection is "problematic". I fail to see how this can be interpreted as an endorsement of West's 'new slavery' theory.

As an aside, I noted that this review also calls out one of his tracks in it's juxtaposition of racist lynching against more everyday matters:

At first glance, “Black Skinhead” and “Blood on the Leaves” appear to contain political messages, the former due to its provocative title, the latter for its sampling of Nina Simone’s seminal “Strange Fruit.” Although the first verse of “Black Skinhead” contains the album’s boldest lyric (“They see a black man with a white woman/ At the top floor they gone come to kill King Kong”), ultimately the song becomes another declaration of Kanye West’s overall awesomeness (see “Stronger,” “POWER”). “Blood on the Leaves,” on the other hand, is basically a break-up song, which makes the inclusion of Simone’s tale of lynching perplexing, if not offensive.

This section doesn't at all read as praise for West's handling of the political commentary here.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:http://www.xxlmag.com/rap-music/reviews/2013/06/album-review-kanye-west-yeezus/

This review is akin to the first one, in that it references West's lyrics, but doesn't get into the specific ones we're discussing here. The lyrical references I could find were:

• "Though Yeezus marks a sonic departure from West’s orchestral instrumentation on last year’s G.O.O.D. Music compilation, Cruel Summer, it explores some of the same ideas—excess, social status, inequality—as his collaborative project with Jay-Z, Watch The Throne (2011). Only this time, the themes are discussed with more humility and humor, as Kanye doesn’t feel the need to keep up with Jay’s emotionless grandiosity. Yeezus is home to some of Kanye’s most provocative writing to date, and it sees him perfecting his formula of dissecting power and otherness with a masterpiece mix of awareness, ignorant wit and fuck-off confidence."
  • "On the album’s centerpiece, “I Am A God,” Kanye alters his voice to play tongue-in-cheek, as if in on the joke that the same artist who made the God-fearing “Jesus Walks” also made an album called Yeezus. He clarifies the confusion with the line, “I am a God, even though I’m a man of God/My whole life in the hands of God, so y’all better quit playin’ with God.” In a juxtaposition of himself and God, he plays with identity so cleverly that it’s more entertainment than commentary, or commentary masked as entertainment, something Kanye’s always expertly walked the line on. Later in the track, a few beats after yelling, “In a French-ass restaurant; Hurry up with my damn croissants!” Kanye admits, “I just talked to Jesus, he said, ‘What up, Yeezus?’” He’s at his best when he reminds us of how hilarious he can be, even at his “most-high.”"
  • "Another standout comes on the Chief Keef-featuring “Hold My Liquor,” an update on West’s slept-on Graduation cut “Drunk And Hot Girls.” On it, Keef shines—his hook is in equal measure heartbreaking, hopeless and empty—and gives Kanye room to pirouette through sirens and filtered drums with snarling, otherworldly couplets. The track’s lyrical highlight comes with the resentful lines: “Then her auntie came over, skinny bitch with no shoulders/Tellin’ you that I’m bogus? Bitch you don’t even know us!/’Baby girl he’s a loner, Baby girl he’s a loner’/Late-night organ donor, after daddy disowned ya.” He maintains a similar tone with “Blood On The Leaves,” an ominous lust memoir that finds Kanye flexing his forgotten rapid-fire rap skills one second and singing an 808s-esque regretful refrain the next."
  • "Yeezus‘ quick and hypnotizing pace finally leads to its emotional and musical highlight, the closer “Bound 2.” It’s a twisted, compelling love song that’s reminiscent of some of West’s classic soul-tinged records. On “Bound,” Kanye raps romantically (“Close your eyes and let the word paint a thousand pictures/One good girl is worth a thousand bitches”) and quirkily (“I wanna fuck you hard on the sink, after that give you something to drink/Step back, can’t get spunk on the mink”) about an unnamed love. It’s a perfect sendoff that reminds you of Kanye’s roots while pointing you in the direction of his future."

Even an article this straight-up worshipful doesn't come near actually saying that it agrees with the sentiment that exploitation in the music industry, or in consumer culture, is tantamount to slavery.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:They pretty much are fascinated about the content he raps about and praise him for it.

But they do not agree with him saying that exploitation of artists and of consumers is the same as slavery.

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:If Kanye's an asshole for the way he thinks and the message he puts across his music then everyone else in the hip hop community who supports him or echo the same things that he does must all be assholes as well.

Well, yes, I'd certainly think so. But where are they? :fu

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 09, '14, 10:25 am

Kirbi wrote:
But they do not agree with him saying that exploitation of artists and of consumers is the same as slavery.

Yes they do, lol. The song lyrics of J Cole pretty much send the same message that "New Slaves" did. If they didn't agree with the message of New Slaves and thought it was despicable why do they keep calling it powerful? Why do they keep putting it as the best song of 2013 on their list? Hip hop is literally driven by message and lyrics. Those are the two most important elements so if you don't like the lyrics or message, they wouldn't praise it so highly.

As far as those music journalist go, they still love the content of New Slaves otherwise it wouldn't be praised. Time Magazine named New Slaves the best song of 2013 (http://entertainment.time.com/2013/12/2 ... ves-kanye/)

Complex magazine called his song artistically powerful. (http://www.complex.com/music/2013/12/be ... new-slaves)

"New Slaves" is the hardened cartilage of Yeezus, the leanest and grisliest piece of music on an album without a single yielding surface. There isn't a wasted breath or unnecessary word; every single thought cleaves through meat. "My mama was raised in the era when/ Clean water was only served to the fairer skin," he begins. Can you get closer to the point than that? You can: "I know that we the new slaves/ I see the blood on the leaves/ I see the blood on the leaves/ I see the blood on the leaves," he seethes, the hate and shame of systemic racism coming through more vividly with each repetition. (http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lis ... f-2013/10/)

Well, yes, I'd certainly think so. But where are they? :fu

They're all either buying his music(fans and consumers), writing about it(journalist), or co signing it(artist).

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 09, '14, 10:35 am

This thread is mind numbing at this point.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby PorkChop » Aug 09, '14, 10:49 am

Does anyone else get the impression that Danielson doesn't completely believe in what he's saying?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Aug 09, '14, 10:51 am

PorkChop wrote:Does anyone else get the impression that Danielson doesn't completely believe in what he's saying?

At this point he's trying to punish us, I think.

Where is our fearless leader Tim when you need him? Let him have the last word and sentence this gargantuan beast of a thread to death. :lol

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics