It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 2:48 pm

Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 5:20 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Viazon wrote:The man could be the single greatest artist who has ever lived. He's still a douche.

To the media and paparazzi, yes.

To his fans and other people, no. People who've worked with him and met him say he is one of the more genuine people in the music industry.

Of course his fans won't think he's a douche. His fans will think the sun shines out of his arse and he can do no wrong.

Case in point - you in this thread.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 1430

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 5:26 pm

PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Viazon wrote:The man could be the single greatest artist who has ever lived. He's still a douche.

To his fans and other people, no. People who've worked with him and met him say he is one of the more genuine people in the music industry.

Of course his fans won't think he's a douche. His fans will think the sun shines out of his arse and he can do no wrong.

Case in point - music journalist and credible artist like Lou Reed, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, and Michael Jackson just to name a few.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 155

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 5:28 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 5:31 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

Case in point - music journalist and credible artist like Lou Reed, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, and Michael Jackson just to name a few.

Their personal opinions on someone are no more credible than anyone else's.

Sure, they've accomplished a lot in music but their personal opinions hold no more authority than those of other people.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 5:36 pm

PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

Their personal opinions on someone are no more credible than anyone else's.

Sure, they've accomplished a lot in music but their personal opinions hold no more authority than those of other people.

So is TMZ considered credible when they show up to Kanye's house at 4 am, harassing him and they end up selling people the narrative that Kanye's a douchebag?

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Romo » Aug 08, '14, 5:40 pm

Taylor Swift thinks he's a douchebag

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 5:50 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:So is TMZ considered credible when they show up to Kanye's house at 4 am, harassing him and they end up selling people the narrative that Kanye's a douchebag?

When did I say they were? At the end of the day, if Kanye is being a prick, he's being a prick. And he seems to be a prick, a lot. If someone turned up at my house at 4am harassing me I wouldn't be best pleased, but this is far from the only incident where Kanye has given off a negative impression of himself.

I don't care if Michael Jackson and Lou Reed say he's a decent guy. You might view them as credible sources and use them to support your argument that Kanye is a 'misunderstood nice guy' because they have several musical accolades, but so does Ian Watkins. Kanye has provided the world with an encyclopedia of cringeworthy, arrogant and facepalm-inducing quotes in recent years. The OP in this thread is another one to add to that collection.

I don't care about the number of black inmates in American prisons, I don't care about some Lil Wayne lyrics, and I don't care about sweatshop workers, who you were driveling on about earlier. 95% of what you've said in this thread is completely irrelevant, and your argument (if you can call it that?) defending Kanye is paper thin at best. In the process of defending your Lord Kanye, your views have managed to offend white members of this board, black members and hispanic members. You were logically backed into a corner and played the race card which instantly made you look like a dick, and you made generalising statements about minorities which several members called you out on.

If Tim wasn't planning on posting his thoughts when he returns I'd lock this thread, as you've taken it to hell in a handbasket.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 6:11 pm

PorkChop wrote:When did I say they were? At the end of the day, if Kanye is being a prick, he's being a prick. And he seems to be a prick, a lot. If someone turned up at my house at 4am harassing me I wouldn't be best pleased, but this is far from the only incident where Kanye has given off a negative impression of himself.

He seems to be a prick? That's just a narrative the media tries to sell to you. People only gain negative impressions because they don't take the time to research what he was talking about, hence why I pointed out his songs New Slaves as evidence of him addressing those issues and telling the people about it.

I don't care if Michael Jackson and Lou Reed say he's a decent guy. You might view them as credible sources and use them to support your argument that Kanye is a 'misunderstood nice guy' because they have several musical accolades, but so does Ian Watkins. Kanye has provided the world with an encyclopedia of cringeworthy, arrogant and facepalm-inducing quotes in recent years. The OP in this thread is another one to add to that collection.

You just compared a pedophile who raped a child to a person who is self confident about himself? Wow, that's a huge reach. So Kanye West is just as bad as a pedophile, that's pretty nice.

Kanye's provided the world with a discography of the best music that's came out in the last decade. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Late Registration, College Dropout, etc. Those same albums that have lyrics that contain these so called "cringeworthy, arrogant and face palm quotes".

I don't care about the number of black inmates in American prisons, I don't care about some Lil Wayne lyrics, and I don't care about sweatshop workers, who you were driveling on about earlier. 95% of what you've said in this thread is completely irrelevant, and your argument (if you can call it that?) defending Kanye is paper thin at best. In the process of defending your Lord Kanye, your views have managed to offend white members of this board, black members and hispanic members. You were logically backed into a corner and played the race card which instantly made you look like a dick, and you made generalising statements about minorities which several members called you out on.

Artist like Iggy Azela and Macklemore aren't trying to appropriate white culture into music? The fact that the #1 song in the United States is of a female rapper whose rapping voice is equivalent to black face, I'd say Kanye is right about his messages and quotes from "Yeezus" and his interviews from last year.

95% of what I said is what Kanye talks about in his lyrics and messages. They aren't irrelevant to the discussion because he is right about music industries and the treatment of minorities in America.

If people on this board are offended, how come the thousands of people on reddit aren't? How come professors at universities aren't? How come the thousands of people on twitter aren't? You're just trying to compensate your hatred for Kanye West by trying to be dismissive of the issues he talks about in his songs and interviews.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 6:16 pm

When did I say Kanye West was like Ian Watkins? I said that Michael Jackson and Lou Reed have several musical accolades, as does Ian Watkins. That's the truth.

Don't twist what I'm saying.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 08, '14, 6:17 pm

If people on this board are offended, how come the thousands of people on reddit aren't? How come professors at universities aren't? How come the thousands of people on twitter aren't? You're just trying to compensate your hatred for Kanye West by trying to be dismissive of the issues he talks about in his songs and interviews.

I'm not sure using the masses from Reddit and Twitter to back up your argument is helping you at all....

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Viazon » Aug 08, '14, 6:17 pm

Thing is, when did anyone say they hated Kanye West? I sure as hell don't hate him. This argument all started when compared his comparison of the music industry and slavery.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 6:20 pm

PorkChop wrote:When did I say Kanye West was like Ian Watkins? I said that Michael Jackson and Lou Reed have several musical accolades, as does Ian Watkins. That's the truth.

Comparing Ian Watkins to Lou Reed and Michael Jackson is a joke. Lostprophets have never ever reached half the critical acclaim or praise that Michael Jackson and Lou Reed have.

Michael Jackson changed R&B, Pop, and essentially paved the path for all black artist on mainstream channels.

Lou Reed is praised for having one of the most influential bands of all time.

Brining up Ian Watkins was irrelevant.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Kirbi » Aug 08, '14, 6:24 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

I can find no online quotes from those from the people you've mentioned on anything but his music. They might call him a musical genius, but do any of them even say he's a great guy?

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby PorkChop » Aug 08, '14, 6:26 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:When did I say Kanye West was like Ian Watkins? I said that Michael Jackson and Lou Reed have several musical accolades, as does Ian Watkins. That's the truth.

Comparing Ian Watkins to Lou Reed and Michael Jackson is a joke. Lostprophets have never ever reached half the critical acclaim or praise that Michael Jackson and Lou Reed have.

Michael Jackson changed R&B, Pop, and essentially paved the path for all black artist on mainstream channels.

Not irrelevant, you were using the opinions of people who were 'credible' because they'd won musical accolades, and I used Watkins as an example that you can't do that. He has several musical accolades and his personal opinions are awful.

If you want to talk about irrelevant posts, please read through your posts in this thread again.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '14, 6:29 pm

You can't blame every stupid thing he says in the media as the narrative they're trying to spin. Yes, they can control the way a story gets reported and they can attempt to manipulate the facts in order to make the story more interesting to the public. But they can't change the facts and they can't change the words that come out of his mouth.

The simple fact of the matter is that Kanye West is a douchebag.

He might have many redeeming qualities. He might be a great musician (I don't see the appeal but then I'm not a hip hop fan). He might speak out about important issues. But he also acts like an arrogant prick, makes ridiculous accusations and acts like the world owes him something. And when it comes to judging his personality, I don't care how much Elton John likes him or how his albums are reviewing.

The media doesn't need to put a slant on comments such as the one that started this thread. It's just a stupid thing to say. They don't need to put any spin on him interrupting an award speech to claim that somebody else should have won, it's just a horrible thing to do. When he hijacks a relief broadcast to throw accusations at the president, the media are going to throw some abuse at him and rightfully so.

Then there's all the self-aggrandizing statements that he makes, thinking he's God's gift to music and the world. You can't begin to spin that in a positive way because acting this way is not cool, and it's never received well by the public. And anyone who thinks like that can fuck themselves with a shovel for all I care. If they're that self-centered then why should I give a damn what they think about the rest of the world? Clearly they don't pay enough attention to it.

Sometimes when he acts out, it's to further one of his causes, but he does it in the douchiest, most self-important way that he possibly could. And he always seems to think that the issues are more important because he's taken an interest in them. That video that Messiah posted earlier sums up his character well. He actually thought his opinions were more important than the other guy in the video because he had more money and fame than him. He basically came out and said it.

When it comes to a guy like that, you can defend his body of work and you can defend his position on social issues but you can't really defend his general behaviour.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 6:37 pm

Kirbi wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

I can find no online quotes from those from the people you've mentioned on anything but his music. They might call him a musical genius, but do any of them even say he's a great guy?

They've expressed they support his music and message behind it.

7:55

http://music.thetalkhouse.com/talks/lou ... ts-yeezus/

http://www.complex.com/music/2014/01/br ... incredible

Even artist today like Drake

http://www.mtv.com/news/1711890/drake-k ... te-artist/

Jay-Z

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.2 ... xpression-

It's funny how someone like Noel Gallagher, who is the true definition of a douchebag, gets a pass when the man verbally insulted his band and treated his friends like shit. Dude even dissed Jay-Z. Instead Kanye gets painted like one because he yells at paparazzi.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 6:40 pm

The man is not his music, to support his music and the message it may carry is one thing but having any amount of musical talent is irrelevant to the fact that the man is an arrogant, self centered dick.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 6:40 pm

PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

Not irrelevant, you were using the opinions of people who were 'credible' because they'd won musical accolades, and I used Watkins as an example that you can't do that. He has several musical accolades and his personal opinions are awful.

If you want to talk about irrelevant posts, please read through your posts in this thread again.

Watkins does not have the accolades of a Michael Jackson. That's just ridiculous. Michael Jackson is credible because of his impact in various genres of music. Pop, rock, R&B, hip hop, soul, and funk music. MJ is credible because he responsible for one of the best albums of all time. He is credible because he was the first black artist to be played on MTV when MTV refused to play black artist on their channel.

Ian Watkins has done nothing to help move his culture of music. The comparison is "paper thin" like you say.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '14, 6:40 pm

^^ When did Noel Gallagher ever get a free pass? People always talked shit about him, and with good reason. Personally, I think Gallagher is miles more talented than Kanye West, but that doesn't give him any more of a right to be a shithead.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 6:42 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

Watkins does not have the accolades of a Michael Jackson. That's just ridiculous. Michael Jackson is credible because of his impact in various genres of music. Pop, rock, R&B, hip hop, soul, and funk music. MJ is credible because he responsible for one of the best albums of all time. He is credible because he was the first black artist to be played on MTV when MTV refused to play black artist on their channel.

Ian Watkins has done nothing to help move his culture of music. The comparison is "paper thin" like you say.

I'm really struggling to grasp how you got this notion that musical accolades make anyone an authority on a man's character. Kanye West is a wanker and me not being able to produce music isn't going to change the weight or validity of my opinion.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics