It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 11:02 am

Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Re: Another golden Kanye West quote in the news today

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 8:30 pm

Hanley! wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Because resorting to insulting members makes you intelligent.

I'm not insulting you. I've deliberately made an effort to not make inflammatory comments in this thread, because I don't like it when these things turn nasty and get shut down. But one of the problems I have with Kanye based on this discussion is that he thinks his opinion deserves to be heard because of how important he is. On some level, he believes that his success validates his opinions.

And succession equating to validity is something you appear to believe on some level also, as you keep quoting how successful he is, how many albums he's sold and so on. Most of the others here don't find this relevant to the discussion, but you keep bringing it up. I don't think his success makes his opinions any more worthwhile.

But I'm trying not to talk about album sales because that's more so on marketing and promotion. Album sales don't reflect the actual quality of music.

Success doesn't validate opinions, I agree with you there but a lot of opinions people don't like about Kanye West (like his outburst on George Bush) is the same exact opinions he shares on his songs. I'm trying to make a point that his lyrics are an exact reflection of himself. Those lyrics and quotes people here find douchebaggy or whatever are the same lyrics and quotes journalist, professors, musicians, and music listeners enjoy. That's what I've been trying to say.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 155

Postby Kirbi » Aug 08, '14, 8:34 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Hanley! wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Because resorting to insulting members makes you intelligent.

I'm not insulting you. I've deliberately made an effort to not make inflammatory comments in this thread, because I don't like it when these things turn nasty and get shut down. But one of the problems I have with Kanye based on this discussion is that he thinks his opinion deserves to be heard because of how important he is. On some level, he believes that his success validates his opinions.

And succession equating to validity is something you appear to believe on some level also, as you keep quoting how successful he is, how many albums he's sold and so on. Most of the others here don't find this relevant to the discussion, but you keep bringing it up. I don't think his success makes his opinions any more worthwhile.

But I'm trying not to talk about album sales because that's more so on marketing and promotion. Album sales don't reflect the actual quality of music.

Success doesn't validate opinions, I agree with you there but a lot of opinions people don't like about Kanye West (like his outburst on George Bush) is the same exact opinions he shares on his songs. I'm trying to make a point that his lyrics are an exact reflection of himself. Those lyrics and quotes people here find douchebaggy or whatever are the same lyrics and quotes journalist, professors, musicians, and music listeners enjoy. That's what I've been trying to say.

Unless these fans of his have been stating that the douchey lyrics which are directly comparable to his douchey statements are something they they really love about his work, then this is spurious at best.

There's too many other facets to music, any music, to support that argument unless you have direct attribution here.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 8:40 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:You've taken the stance a few times in this thread of "X person says they're great so it's fine if Kanye does it". That's not right, it's not just Kanye, anyone making claims like that about themselves is a grade A plonker. I don't care if that's hip hop culture or any other culture, it's bloody stupid. If Kanye is doing so much to change the genre for the good maybe he should lead by example

He already has changed the genre for good and evolved it. He doesn't need to change his personality and be a fake person.

But you've already said that he's as arrogant and self centered as he is because that's what rap culture is like, isn't that the same as changing his personality to fit in with the rest of the dbags?

The comparison to athletes isn't exactly valid, unlike with music, a lot of sporting performances can be summarised in a uniform way by statistics making one performance comparable to another. This simply isn't the case with music or any art.

A lot of stats are skewed to support one's argument when it comes to Sports. If you compared Ronaldo and Messi together, is it beyond reasonable doubt that Messi is better than Ronaldo or vice versa?

If you go by the numbers Messi is better by a very small margin. There is no doubt, however, that the two of them are the greatest players in the world at the moment. Taste doesn't come into the argument like it does with music.

Also how come we can't use influence as a measuring stick to judge an artist? Unless your hearing is impaired, you can tell the difference between minor chords and major chords? You can tell the difference between a guitar and a piano?

You can potentially make an argument for there being an acceptable standard of good music but at a certain point it comes down to preference and taste. I can tell the difference between a guitar and a piano, I can't say that a guitar is better than a piano or vice versa.

The argument of him having great influence doesn't mean that his music is better, the amount of people who appreciate his music isn't proportionately related to the quality of his music. The majority of people holding the opinion that his music is good doesn't necessarily make it valid.

That really doesn't make sense. So if everyone likes Kanye's music and he releases a critically acclaimed project, those opinions don't reflect on the quality of his music? What are you saying?

How about Metacritic ratings as well? Why can''t we use that as a statistic? Look, the art is subjective argument is really paper thin one.

Everyone doesn't like Kanye's music. A lot of people who are into hip hop like it. A lot of other people don't. You're getting it backwards here, people liking his music don't make it good, his music being good makes people like it. I feel like we're being sidetracked here, this isn't a discussion about the quality of his music here, it's a discussion about the quality of his character.

To propose a counter example: The majority of the people in this thread believe that Kanye West is a bell end, you don't. Does that mean we're right because there are more of us?

No because if Kanye was really as evil as you make him out to be, he wouldn't be praised like he is.

To propose a VERY EXTREME counter example, at one time a lot of people in Germany had a lot of praise this man...

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 8:41 pm

Kirbi wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

Unless these fans of his have been stating that the douchey lyrics which are directly comparable to his douchey statements are something they they really love about his work, then this is spurious at best.

There's too many other facets to music, any music, to support that argument unless you have direct attribution here.

ITS NOT FANS. It's music journalist, musicians, people who have credentials in that industry. They point out the content of his lyrics and the messages in his songs. In interviews, Kanye quotes his lyrics to show his thoughts on stuff like classism and racism.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Hanley! » Aug 08, '14, 8:44 pm

I think @SlightlyJames hit the nail on the head: Kanye West is Hitler.

Thread over. We can all rest easy now. :cheers2

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 8:45 pm

Hitler joke aside I feel like I should make it clear that I don't hate Kanye at all, that's been exaggerated a lot over the course of the argument, I just think he's an arrogant dick. :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Romo » Aug 08, '14, 8:46 pm

Hanley! wrote:I think @SlightlyJames hit the nail on the head: Kanye West is Hitler.

Thread over. We can all rest easy now. :cheers2

I told you all he was a cunt

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Kirbi » Aug 08, '14, 8:55 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Kirbi wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

ITS NOT FANS. It's music journalist, musicians, people who have credentials in that industry. They point out the content of his lyrics and the messages in his songs. In interviews, Kanye quotes his lyrics to show his thoughts on stuff like classism and racism.

I meant the words 'fans' rather colloquially, as a catchall for the various people you had mentioned.

I did say you needed attribution here to get me to buy this argument.

As I don't know any of his lyrics off the top of my head, I can't tell if they're the same style as the random comments that he gets vilified for in the press; and since I'm also not in the habit of reading many reviews for artists I don't actively listen to, I haven't seen any of this praise that you seem so familiar with. And honestly, I'm taking pretty much all your arguments about West with a massive grain of salt at the moment.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 8:58 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:But you've already said that he's as arrogant and self centered as he is because that's what rap culture is like, isn't that the same as changing his personality to fit in with the rest of the drags?

Nope, Kanye's been the same exact person he was in 2002 that he is today. He didn't "change" himself to be more arrogant or cocky or self confident. He has always been like that. He called himself the Michael Jackson of hip hop before he sold one album.

If you go by the numbers Messi is better by a very small margin. There is no doubt, however, that the two of them are the greatest players in the world at the moment. Taste doesn't come into the argument like it does with music.

But you can make the argument that Messi has way better role players than Ronaldo has. Plus, a lot of people won't consider Messi the best player. Sports can be subjective as well.

You can potentially make an argument for there being an acceptable standard of good music but at a certain point it comes down to preference and taste. I can tell the difference between a guitar and a piano, I can't say that a guitar is better than a piano or vice versa.

So why is it hard to measure a person's influence in music if you can tell the difference between instruments? Kanye had an album full of minor chords, drums that were muffled, melody driven tracks, auto tune and next to you know, the rest of the music industry copies his technique. The argument is not about a piano being better than a guitar, the argument is if the music you create on the piano is copied/borrowed from a another person who plays the same instrument.

To propose a VERY EXTREME counter example, at one time a lot of people in Germany had a lot of praise this man...

Are we really comparing a musical artist to a guy who is responsible for one of the worst genocides known to human kind? Last time I checked, Hitler wasn't praised as a "legend" around the world. He literally brainwashed people with his extremist views.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Everlong » Aug 08, '14, 9:01 pm

Are we really comparing a musical artist to a guy who is responsible for one of the worst genocides known to humankind?

I know right? That'd be almost as ridiculous as comparing the music industry to slavery!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 9:08 pm

Kirbi wrote:As I don't know any of his lyrics off the top of my head, I can't tell if they're the same style as the random comments that he gets vilified for in the press; and since I'm also not in the habit of reading many reviews for artists I don't actively listen to, I haven't seen any of this praise that you seem so familiar with. And honestly, I'm taking pretty much all your arguments about West with a massive grain of salt at the moment.

Okay this is fine.

One song is "New Slaves" where he says..

"Meanwhile the DEA
Teamed up with the CCA
They tryna lock niggas up
They tryna make new slaves
See that's that privately owned prison
Get your piece today
They prolly all in the Hamptons
Braggin' 'bout what they made"

He addresses the issue of private owned prisons with those lyrics and exposes the corruption behind that industry. Yet he gets slandered for it by people on here.

"I say fuck the police, that's how I treat 'em
We buy our way out of jail, but we can't buy freedom
We'll buy a lot of clothes when we don't really need em
Things we buy to cover up what's inside
Cause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth
That's why shorty's hollerin' "where the ballers at?"
Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a white man get paid off of all of that"

Kanye addresses the issue of consumerism amongst the black community and his last lines elaborate on the economic food chain of America.

Is hip hop just a euphemism for a new religion?
The soul music of the slaves that the youth is missing
This is more than just my road to redemption
Malcolm West had the whole nation standing at attention
As long as I’m in Polo smiling, they think they got me
But they would try to crack me if they ever see a black me

Ironically, he compares the way he is treated by the media to Malcom X (hence the Malcom West pun). Malcom X was slandered for his views and beliefs and Kanye talks about how his views are slandered. He also talks about how if he "acts black", the media will try to crack him.

I mean he has lyrics all day about this same content that people like TMZ try to attack him for.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 9:14 pm

I'm tired of quoting shit so I'll just respond to your points in order.

If Kanye has always been arrogant and self centered then you can't attribute it to hip hop culture like you did before, if that's simply how he is then I would argue that alone makes him a dick.

Sports can be subjective but to a much lesser degree, especially in this example where Messi and Ronaldo fulfil a very similar role in their respective teams. Like I said, the difference in quality between these two players is minute but it is there. It is much easier to define an objectively better footballing performance than it is to define one song as better than another. There is much less reliance on taste.

The entire music industry did not copy Kanye, a portion of one particular genre copied Kanye. Regardless of the extent of his influence I feel like I've already addressed the difference between influence and quality. I've also acknowledged that this isn't exactly relevant to the man's character and the fact that a lot of the things he says are in poor taste.

Like I said before in the shout box, try not to lose my meaning in the hyperbole, you did this with the Lost Prophets example as well. Just like Porky was making the point that musical accolades don't necessarily make for a good judge of character, the point that I was making is that Kanye being praised by people who enjoy his music doesn't mean that he's not a dick.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby Kirbi » Aug 08, '14, 9:21 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
Kirbi wrote:As I don't know any of his lyrics off the top of my head, I can't tell if they're the same style as the random comments that he gets vilified for in the press; and since I'm also not in the habit of reading many reviews for artists I don't actively listen to, I haven't seen any of this praise that you seem so familiar with. And honestly, I'm taking pretty much all your arguments about West with a massive grain of salt at the moment.

Okay this is fine.

"Meanwhile the DEA
Teamed up with the CCA
Get your piece today

He addresses the issue of private owned prisons with those lyrics and exposes the corruption behind that industry. Yet he gets slandered for it by people on here.

Kanye addresses the issue of consumerism amongst the black community and his last lines elaborate on the economic food chain of America.

Ironically, he compares the way he is treated by the media to Malcom X (hence the Malcom West pun). Malcom X was slandered for his views and beliefs and Kanye talks about how his views are slandered. He also talks about how if he "acts black", the media will try to crack him.

I mean he has lyrics all day about this same content that people like TMZ try to attack him for.

(Bolding mine)
He's been getting criticised in this thread for comparing these things to slavery, not for saying that they're bad. Please stop misrepresenting that.

So, the second part of this is missing - the bit where you provide the quotes from the people you mentioned above, who support the view of this as a type of slavery. Attribution is the biggest part of what I was looking for here, as the original argument was based on this statement:

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Success doesn't validate opinions, I agree with you there but a lot of opinions people don't like about Kanye West (like his outburst on George Bush) is the same exact opinions he shares on his songs. I'm trying to make a point that his lyrics are an exact reflection of himself. Those lyrics and quotes people here find douchebaggy or whatever are the same lyrics and quotes journalist, professors, musicians, and music listeners enjoy. That's what I've been trying to say.

In order to verify that a significant amount of these various peoples support the aspects of his lyrics which directly correlate to those that people seem to be finding super-douchey, I'll be needing to see quotes, videos, etc. of them stating such opinions.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 9:59 pm

Kirbi wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

Okay this is fine.

"Meanwhile the DEA
Teamed up with the CCA
Get your piece today

(Bolding mine)
He's been getting criticised in this thread for comparing these things to slavery, not for saying that they're bad. Please stop misrepresenting that.

So, the second part of this is missing - the bit where you provide the quotes from the people you mentioned above, who support the view of this as a type of slavery. Attribution is the biggest part of what I was looking for here, as the original argument was based on this statement:

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Success doesn't validate opinions, I agree with you there but a lot of opinions people don't like about Kanye West (like his outburst on George Bush) is the same exact opinions he shares on his songs. I'm trying to make a point that his lyrics are an exact reflection of himself. Those lyrics and quotes people here find douchebaggy or whatever are the same lyrics and quotes journalist, professors, musicians, and music listeners enjoy. That's what I've been trying to say.

In order to verify that a significant amount of these various peoples support the aspects of his lyrics which directly correlate to those that people seem to be finding super-douchey, I'll be needing to see quotes, videos, etc. of them stating such opinions.

Okay, J Cole a platinum selling artist echoed the same content Kanye West said with these lyrics..

"Rich white man rule the nation still
Only difference is we all slaves now, the chains concealed"

Don't really need to breakdown the meaning behind that. Same concept of New Slaves.

"Elvis was a hero to most
But he never meant shit to me you see
Straight up racist that sucker was
Simple and plain
Mother fuck him and John Wayne"

This is a song dated back in the 80s that reflect the same thoughts Kanye has about the media. The media pot rayed Elvis in a really positive light even billing him as the "king of Rock n Roll" when he was an actual racist and stole music from black people. Also for John Wayne, he was quoted saying; "I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

Frank Ocean has lyrics where he addresses segregation and racism.

I hope my black skin don't dirt this white tuxedo before the Basquiat show

Ocean’s fear of dirtying his white tuxedo (a white tuxedo conveying sophistication and class) with his black skin “before the Basquiat show” is an ironic reference to past and present segregation. The whites didn’t want their way of life to be tainted by people of his skin color.

Jay Z even has lyrics dissing the history of America.

I'm anti-Santa Maria
Only Christopher we acknowledge is Wallace
I don't even like Washingtons in my pocket
Black card go hard when I'm shopping
Boat dock in front of Hermes picking cotton

Jay Z expresses his displeasure with Colombus and even tweeted about how he didn't discover America.

Jay Z says he doesn't like "Washington's in my pocket" because George Washington owned slaves and expresses his displeasure for him.

Jay Z also said this

America tried to emasculate the greats
Murder Malcolm, gave Cassius the shakes
Wait, tell them rumble young man rumble
Try to dim your lights tell you be humble
You know I'm gon' shine like a trillion watts
You know a nigga trill as Michael Jackson socks

Jay Z says how America didn't like the self confidence of Ali and Malcom X hence "tried to emasculate the greats". Ironically he says "Try to dim your lights, tell you be humble", which basically means America wants you to act humble or in other words, stop being so self confident.

In fact Jay-Z's last album is filled with a lot of black empowerment music that follows the same message of Kanye's . So Kanye isn't alone with his thinking, a lot of artist and people agree with his statements or at least echo them.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 10:04 pm

You're still veering off point here, where in there does it say anything about the music industry being like slavery?

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 10:09 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:You're still veering off point here, where in there does it say anything about the music industry being like slavery?
Most these lyrics are about black artist and black people but still here..

Only difference is we all slaves now, the chains concealed" - J Cole

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 10:24 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:
SlightlyJames wrote:You're still veering off point here, where in there does it say anything about the music industry being like slavery?

That has nothing to do with the music industry.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 10:34 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:
DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:

That has nothing to do with the music industry.

Yes it does.

Yeah, unbelievable seen evil that not even Knievel know
At age 3 I knew this world was three below
Listen, even though my ego low, achieved the unachievable
Imagine if my confidence was halfway decent, yo
This just in, fucked more bitches than Bieber though
Still I keep it low, got my niggas on the need to know
Basis, my manager back in the days was racist
I was a young boy, passing skates and tucking laces
Old perverted white man who told me: "Jermaine
It's all pink on the inside, fuck what color their face is"
Wise words from an indecent man
Made me reflect on the times when we was three-fifths of them
In chains and powerless, brave souls reduced to cowardice
Slaving in the baking sun for hours just
To see the master creep into the shack where your lady at
9 months later got a baby, that's
Not quite what you expected, but you
Refuse to neglect it, cause you
Know your wifey loves you, thus you refuse to accept it
That's that type shit that turn my granny light-skinned
Rich white man rule the nation still
Only difference is we all slaves now, the chains concealed
In our thoughts, if I follow my heart to save myself
Could I run away from 50 mill like Dave Chappelle?
You know…

The verse takes a lot of turns but the main point is juxtaposing slavery to the relationship music executives have on artist. Hence the line, "Could I run away from 50 mill like Dave Chappelle" and "only difference is we all slaves now, the chains concealed".

Dave Chappelle ironically has a quote that relates to the whole topic

"A lot of white people get therapy, we don’t have those facilities, we have weed and liquor stores. Why is Mariah Carey making a $100 million recording contract and taking her clothes off on TRL? To say someone is crazy is dismissive, people are not crazy, they are strong people, maybe their environment is a little sick. The only way you know where the line is, is if you cross it."

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 08, '14, 10:55 pm

I'm not really seeing how it relates at all. If someone did happen to be making 50 mil from anything it is absolutely not slavery. You're really grasping here.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Aug 08, '14, 11:02 pm

SlightlyJames wrote:I'm not really seeing how it relates at all. If someone did happen to be making 50 mil from anything it is absolutely not slavery. You're really grasping here.

You didn't understand the lyrics. J Cole's verse compares slavery to the music industry today. Simple as that, those aren't my lyrics, that's his lol. He summarizes how the old rich white guy still calls the shots even in Hip hop, a pro-dominant black genre.

Dave Chappelle's quote talks about how a black artist is portrayed as "sick" and mentally ill. For example, people claimed Dave Chappelle was a crackhead despite him being a devout Muslim and never being in the headlines for a drug problem before. Just his take on the media and how they're dismissive.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

PreviousNext

Return to Squared Circle Classics