It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 5:47 pm

British food

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

British food

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '14, 10:55 am

You know a country has shitty food when they have to put vinegar on it to make it taste better.

Just saying.

Moved to PubTalk Classics June 12th, 2014

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: British food

Postby PorkChop » Apr 14, '14, 10:57 am

Still bitter about the knob size thread? :punk4

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Viazon » Apr 14, '14, 10:58 am

I love vinegar. I drink it straight. I'm hardcore like that.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Twister » Apr 14, '14, 12:49 pm

I only use vinegar when I go to the chippy :idk

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '14, 12:51 pm

Twister wrote:I only use vinegar when I go to the chippy :idk

The whaaaat?

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 14, '14, 12:54 pm

Everlong wrote:

The whaaaat?

A fish and chip shop.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '14, 12:54 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:

The whaaaat?

A fish and chip shop.

They call it a chippy?! And they have specific shops for it?!

That's so fucking British, I love it :lol

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 14, '14, 12:59 pm

Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:

The whaaaat?

A fish and chip shop.

Yep, we have special shops which purely sell fish and chips. I might go my local one tonight after reading this thread :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Twister » Apr 14, '14, 1:10 pm

:lol

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Kirbi » Apr 14, '14, 1:21 pm

Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:

The whaaaat?

A fish and chip shop.

Wait, what? You don't have chippers?!

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '14, 1:22 pm

^Nope, I don't believe I've ever seen a restaurant specifically dedicated to fish and chips in the states. It's not really a thing. I mean we have fish fries on Fridays and that's huge in Wisconsin, but there aren't any sole shops/restaurants devoted to it.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 14, '14, 1:23 pm

Everlong wrote:^Nope, I don't believe I've ever seen a restaurant specifically dedicated to fish and chips in the states. It's not really a thing. I mean we have fish fries on Fridays and that's huge in Wisconsin, but there aren't any sole shops/restaurants devoted to it.

They're not really restaurants. You walk in, pick up your fish and chips and leave.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '14, 1:24 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:^Nope, I don't believe I've ever seen a restaurant specifically dedicated to fish and chips in the states. It's not really a thing. I mean we have fish fries on Fridays and that's huge in Wisconsin, but there aren't any sole shops/restaurants devoted to it.

They're not really restaurants. You walk in, pick up for fish and chips and leave.

Yeah, that's DEFINITELY not a thing here.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby PorkChop » Apr 14, '14, 1:31 pm

Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

They're not really restaurants. You walk in, pick up for fish and chips and leave.

I find that most strange.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby HFX » Apr 14, '14, 1:41 pm

PorkChop wrote:
Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

I find that most strange.

Well where I come from in Canada we eat beef and other land animals because fresh fish is hard to come by. When I was in Vancouver they had a place near the water that was dedicated specifically to fresh "homemade" fish and chips. I ate there and it was pretty good. I really wish I could find something like that in Edmonton some days. I think the owner guy is Scottish or English. But ya the UK and Ireland are islands so it makes sense fish would be a large part of your food culture. Fish isn't really big here unless you leave near the ocean, a good sized non-polluted river/lake or an inland sea like the Great Lakes.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby Kirbi » Apr 14, '14, 1:48 pm

But, what do you batter? And how do you get your hands on it after pouring out of a pub in a mob at closing time?

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby HFX » Apr 14, '14, 2:00 pm

Kirbi wrote:But, what do you batter? And how do you get your hands on it after pouring out of a pub in a mob at closing time?

We don't really batter food where I come from. In all honesty I prefer my food grilled with a bit of seasoning.

As for what we eat late night after the pub, well we usually eat pizza or if someone is sober enough to drive we find a 24/hr Tim Hortons, McDonalds or if you're lucky Wendy's. Some donair places are also open until 3 or 4 in the morning and donairs are great while sober and pure heaven when you're drunk. But ya donairs, pizza and cheap fast food are what we get our hands on. I know Whyte Ave has late night pizza and donair places. In Calgary on the Red Mile there's a late night hotdog place that is pretty good.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby prophet » Apr 14, '14, 2:04 pm

Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

You do though have countless chains dedicated to things such as Doughnuts, Taco's and Pancakes which we find strange over here!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '14, 2:21 pm

prophet wrote:
Everlong wrote:
PorkChop wrote:

You do though have countless chains dedicated to things such as Doughnuts, Taco's and Pancakes which we find strange over here!

Because all of those things are awesome.

Fish is too, it's just not as readily available in most places in the US, especially fresh. I'm fortunate enough to live right next to the second-largest freshwater lake in the world (I can literally see it from my apartment) but in general the US and Canada, as HFX said, doesn't have the same kind of piscatorial access that our British and Irish brethren do, being island nations :P

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Viazon » Apr 14, '14, 2:53 pm

I have a question for you North Americans. Have you ever heard of a fish cake?

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Next

Return to Squared Circle Classics