It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 9:49 am

ROUND ONE: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (2) vs. John Cena (7)

This is where we display classic threads so that we can enjoy them long into the future. Feel free to continue posting in them.

Who was better?

Savage
63%
Cena
37%

Total votes : 38

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '14, 8:49 am

The Ultimate Wrestler Tournament

This thread was originally slated to go up on Wednesday, but there's already been some hot discussion about this one, so I figured I'd get it up today. It's Macho Madness vs. Thuganomics in a clash of eras. Who will prevail?

The Tower of Power, Too Sweet to be Sour, MACHO MAN. If not for Hulk Hogan, Savage would have arguably been the biggest star of the 1980s, and maintained his star power long into the 90s in WCW, bleeding into the mainstream media as well as the Slim Jim spokesman. Savage's match against Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania III was considered to be a couple decades ahead of its time and remains an all-time classic.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

*WWF Championship (x2)
*WCW World Heavyweight Championship (x4)
*USWA Unified World Heavyweight Championship (x1)
*WWF Intercontinental Championship (x1)
*King of the Ring (1987)
*Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame (Class of 2009)
*Wrestling Observer Match of the Year (1987)

NOTABLE MATCH

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

NOTABLE SEGMENT

For better or for worse, John Cena has defined the WWE since winning his first championship at WrestleMania 21 against JBL. There is perhaps no better example of a "company man" willing to work harder than anyone else to give the WWE a positive name in the mainstream media. His embattled career has produced some extremely memorable moments and matches.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

*WWE Championship (x11)
*WWE World Heavyweight Championship (x3)
*WWE United States Championship (x3)
*WWE Tag Team Championship (x2)
*WWE World Tag Team Championship (x2)
*Money in the Bank Winner (2012)
*Royal Rumble winner (x2)
*5 Star Match by The Wrestling Observer (x1)

NOTABLE MATCH

NOTABLE SEGMENT

VOTE NOW and give your reasons in comments!

Thread originally posted in General Wrestling Discussion. Moved to Pub Classics on 9/24/2014.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: ROUND ONE: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (2) vs. John Cena (7)

Postby ShaneOfan » Mar 31, '14, 9:01 am

Cena has to win this one. I know he is stale and has never been heel. I know he has basically not changed in years. I even know Savage was awesome and very well liked as a heel or face. But people need to put aside their blind hatred for the man and realize Cena has done way more for his era then Macho Man did for his. Cena has done more to draw the fans in then Savage. As much as I respect Savage, he was never WAS WWE or WCW,like it or not, Cena IS or at the very least WAS the WWE. Also Cena has done so much work for the fans through Make-A-Wish and that can not be ignored.

Bonus: Cena never made a song with the lyrics "Be a man Hulk"

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 260

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '14, 9:07 am

ShaneOfan wrote:Cena has to win this one. I know he is stale and has never been heel. I know he has basically not changed in years. I even know Savage was awesome and very well liked as a heel or face. But people need to put aside their blind hatred for the man and realize Cena has done way more for his era then Macho Man did for his. Cena has done more to draw the fans in then Savage. As much as I respect Savage, he was never WAS WWE or WCW,like it or not, Cena IS or at the very least WAS the WWE. Also Cena has done so much work for the fans through Make-A-Wish and that can not be ignored.

So basically your argument is that you know Savage was better, but we should vote Cena anyway? :lol

This isn't just about who had the biggest impact on the business, but that can certainly play a role. This is about who was better. Savage was a better wrestler than Cena by far. He was better on the mic. You could even argue that he had significantly more mainstream media appeal than Cena.

There really isn't an area besides fan outreach in which Savage doesn't demolish Cena. I'm shocked that there's already been so much controversy about this one in the Bracket thread and the shoutbox, I think this one should be a landslide. But apparently it'll be closer than I'd anticipated!

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '14, 9:09 am

Plus, as Messiah pointed out in the chat, it's not exactly great for Cena's image to say he "WAS" the WWE in what many people consider to be one of the lowest points in the company's history. Savage may have played second fiddle to Hogan, but beloved second fiddle to Hogan in the 80s is a much more prominent position than despised top dog from 2005-now.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby ShaneOfan » Mar 31, '14, 9:11 am

Everlong wrote:
ShaneOfan wrote:Cena has to win this one. I know he is stale and has never been heel. I know he has basically not changed in years. I even know Savage was awesome and very well liked as a heel or face. But people need to put aside their blind hatred for the man and realize Cena has done way more for his era then Macho Man did for his. Cena has done more to draw the fans in then Savage. As much as I respect Savage, he was never WAS WWE or WCW,like it or not, Cena IS or at the very least WAS the WWE. Also Cena has done so much work for the fans through Make-A-Wish and that can not be ignored.

So basically your argument is that you know Savage was better, but we should vote Cena anyway? :lol

This isn't just about who had the biggest impact on the business, but that can certainly play a role. This is about who was better. Savage was a better wrestler than Cena by far. He was better on the mic. You could even argue that he had significantly more mainstream media appeal than Cena.

There really isn't an area besides fan outreach in which Savage doesn't demolish Cena. I'm shocked that there's already been so much controversy about this one in the Bracket thread and the shoutbox, I think this one should be a landslide. But apparently it'll be closer than I'd anticipated!

My argument isn't that I know Savage was better. It's that I know Save was great but Cena is even better. Cena means more to the business the Savage did. And While Savage may be a better wrestler, I won't agree he is better on the mic. Cena is great on the mic. Dude can cut fantastic promos but his character has never changed which is WWE's mistake not his. As for mainstream media, that has to go to Cena.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby Messiah » Mar 31, '14, 9:18 am

Randy Savage was better than John Cena in every shape, way, or form. How anyone can say otherwise is, in my opinion, baffling. In my opinion, this should not even be a debate.

"John Cena defines his era more than Randy Savage did." First, I don't believe this to be completely true in the first place. Despite the presence of Hulkamania, Randy Savage was still incredibly over. Savage fit the Golden Era of professional wrestling to an absolute tee. There is reason why the company continued to thrive, and even due better than it had done before, when Randy Savage was given the World Championship. While Cena is booed as a face, the cheers directed at Savage forced the company to change him from a heel to a face. Cena has been on the top longer than anyone has before, but I am befuddled as to why people consider that really much of a good thing. For one, wrestlers nowadays just seem to stay in one place a lot longer than before, so it is unfair to hold against guys in the past. Savage was 33 years old by the time he got to the WWF. By the time Austin won his first World Championship, he was 33 years old. The industry has changed and with the absence of "big time" federations for wrestlers to hone their skills for years or the lack of another company to really leave to, naturally you will see guys remain on top for a lot longer than in the past. It has been 10 years since Randy Orton won his first World Champion and he is, 10 years later, heading into WrestleMania as WWE Champion. You get the point. It isn't that much of an accomplishment.

Now, even if it was all true... is that supposed to be a plus for Cena? The era Cena defines is considered to be a boring, uninteresting, unimaginative, and never moving forward or innovating itself disappointment that refuses to give the fans what they really want. And shockingly enough, about all of that seems to apply to John Cena. He is the face of everything that is wrong with the WWE hence why he is booed. I don't think that should be used in his favor.

John Cena is stale. He has been, for the most part, the exact same character since 2005. There is nothing remotely interesting about him. At least back in '05-'06, he still had somewhat of that rapper brawler vibe to him. Not anymore. He is just a generic babyface. A lot of people will argue Cena has outstanding charisma. That is certainly true... but how often does he utilize it? Cena's cringeworthy promos, especially when he comes off a big feud (see: post WrestleMania 29), are not rare at all. Cena is absolutely capable of cutting the promo of the night, which he has in the past, but it is not often. His promos have crap content.

Cena's in-ring skills simply do not match the Macho Man's. Savage is in that Kurt Angle and The Rock mold where, for some reason, they are just capable of having great matches with anyone regardless of their size, character, card status, etc. We all know that is not the case with Cena. Now, don't get me wrong. I am one of the people who defend Cena when people unfairly criticize him for his in-ring skills. I am not saying Cena is bad in that regard and he has proven that when the time calls for it, he can put on an outstanding match worthy of being in the main event. But once again, this is not an often occurrence. Randy Orton is one of the best in-ring wrestlers the WWE has. He is ridiculously consistent in that regard. And yet, why does every Orton and Cena confrontation gradually grow worse and worse? Repetition plays a part in that but Orton/Bryan, Orton/Christian, etc. never ended up having a bad match and the WWE milked the fuck out of them (although they did it for Orton/Bryan with good reason). Cena is just not as diverse as a wrestler as Savage is.

Someone in the chatbox said John Cena has more classical matches than Randy Savage. This argument is flawed for a couple of reasons:
1. John Cena has been afforded far more opportunities than any wrestler in the history of the WWE sans possibly Hulk Hogan to have these kinds of matches. Randy Savage did not hold the WWE Championship for over a year. Randy Savage was not shoved down the throats of the audience when they were not in the mood to watch him.

2. John Cena probably has more "classical" matches than Steve Austin too. But this brings me to my next point...

3. Does John Cena REALLY have that many classical matches? As in, a match 10 years from now you will still be talking about? Punk/Cena '11 of course, and possibly Cena/RVD ONS '06. But what else? I think people got over his one hour match with Michaels on RAW from back in '07 (and that match is SO overrated IMO, just like almost everything Michaels did from 2007-2010). Cena/Umaga LMS and Cena/Edge TLC was great, but I would not consider them classical by any means. And that isn't anything against Cena, by the way. I just probably have high standards for what I would consider a "classical" match. Savage has his match with Steamboat at WM3 and Hogan at WM5.

I won't really go much into Savage because I feel he should win this and it will be better saved for the later rounds.

I respect anyone's opinion to pick John Cena, but I just cannot see how people can come to think that. Savage was better in every way possible and I don't think there should be any doubt that Randy Savage could have replaced Hogan as the biggest draw in professional wrestling history if Hulkamania had never existed. Savage was the perfect superstar for what the WWE wants.

It isn't that I think John Cena is bad, by the way. I don't mind him and I haven't really since 2011. He is just there for me and he hasn't been featured AS heavily as he used to be. But he just isn't Randy Savage.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Mar 31, '14, 9:18 am

Everlong wrote:Plus, as Messiah pointed out in the chat, it's not exactly great for Cena's image to say he "WAS" the WWE in what many people consider to be one of the lowest points in the company's history. Savage may have played second fiddle to Hogan, but beloved second fiddle to Hogan in the 80s is a much more prominent position than despised top dog from 2005-now.

The lowest point in the company's history was definitely during 1995 and that time where they had guys like Diesel winning the World Title and just having some really bad matches.

But anyway, the reason why I pick Cena is because he has been a victim to bad booking for most of his career but he still was an excellent draw.

Take this in for a moment, John Cena is the MOST LIKED athlete on Facebook. He has more likes than Kobe Bryant, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, LeBron James, all of them. That goes to show you how popular and well known he is.

Plus, Cena was really good from Wrestlemania 20 till Wrestlemania 22, after that his character became stale. John Cena has had classic matches with HBK, Kurt Angle, JBL, Edge and CM Punk. People always say that John Cena "can't" wrestle, but this is not true. The thing about Cena is that he'll match up to the same exact level of his opponent because his work ethic refuses to offer anything less. Look at his match with CM Punk from MITB in 2011. The storytelling was great in that match.

Do we really think Macho Man Randy Savage can survive today's 300 day on road schedule and be the top superstar for the company for 8-9 years straight? :lol

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '14, 9:20 am

Cena means more to the business the Savage did.

You're really going to have to do more to convince me of this.

The 1980s was a time where the WWF was beginning to swallow up territories. They were moving into cable and pay per view broadcasting and were competing with many of the larger regional federations to become the country's top promotion. Sure, Hulk Hogan was the biggest name in the company at the time, but the WWE couldn't accomplish the global domination of the industry they achieved without guys like Savage. Hogan couldn't do it all himself, and guys like Savage and Piper were fantastic foils for Hogan that kept viewers tuning in and gave the WWE a lot of drawing power.

Then, when WCW began building up steam in the early 90s, Savage was already an even bigger star than Kevin Nash and Scott Hall, the first big acquisitions that WCW stole from WWF. Savage's departure for WCW legitimized the WCW as true competition to Vince McMahon and the WCW, and was part of the catalyst for the big ratings competition of the 90s.

Savage's match against Steamboat at WrestleMania 3 is still considered a standard for the industry, a match that many people considered to be decades ahead of its time in terms of its pacing and storytelling. Most matches from top stars in the 80s don't hold up today, but many of Savages, especially that one, still do, which shows his staying power as a legend and his in-ring talent.

Then there was Savage's relationship with Miss Elizabeth. It was the first real big male/female pairing in the WWF, and to this day they're still considered to be the best on-screen couple in WWE history. WWE has tried to capture the magic that the two had in their storyline over and over ever since then, but they've never been able to replicate it because it was simple the right place, the right time and most of all, the right people.

When it comes down to it, Cena will be remembered for the way he split the WWE fanbase in half. Savage will be remembered for the way he was universally loved. That should tell you a lot right there.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Tom » Mar 31, '14, 9:27 am

I left John Cena off my top 20 list. It was probably a controversial move, and one that even I thought about. However, although he has had some awesome matches and has been the WWE's top guy for such a long time, nobody has irritated me than Cena has over the last few years. He has been a constant nuisance at the best of times, though its all not entirely his fault. He just shouldn't be WWE's number one guy in 2014, especially in a WWE TV schedule that airs six/seven hours of programming and therefore makes characters a lot more stale in a quicker time frame. We are not living in the Hogan days, when wrestlers were exposed a lot less on a weekly basis.

So, for that reason, my personal choice goes to Randy Savage. Savage was just different. His persona was intriguing, his promos were different. He was one of the guys that you could watch or re-watch and he would still captivate you. He had some awesome matches also. His match with Steamboat is considered one of the greatest matches in Mania history, and probably influence many people to enter the world of professional wrestling. His match with Hogan at Mania V was awesome, and arguably Hogan's best match at a Mania. The feud leading into that match was great as well, it put Hogan in a light where we have never seen him before as he was being accused of cheating with Elizabeth while it also painted Macho Man as a paranoid mad man. It was also the first time something like this had occured on a wrestling programme in front of a main stream audience. Sure, Hogan and Andre were buddies but it was never presented to us that they were best friends in the same way Macho and Hogan were. They pretty much were inseperable for nearly a year. I also feel that Savage got the Ultimate Warrior's best matches out of him as well. Add that to the feud with Ric Flair, and his match with him at Mania VIII. It was probably the best match on the card.

His WCW days were not as significant as his WWE ones. Sure, he had good matches with Flair and was a member of the NWO. But he sure as hell did some good there. His series of matches with DDP were probably my favourite in WCW during the Monday Night Wars era. They had insane chemistry together.

So, to sum up this completely, I chose Randy Savage because he had some awesome matches, he was unique and had a great persona. He never made me want to flip the channel, and when I see a match of his that I may not have seen before, I am more inclined to click the link to watch it. I cannot say the same thing about John Cena, who has done more to make me flip the channel over the last few years!

Tom None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 23

Postby Messiah » Mar 31, '14, 9:28 am

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote: But anyway, the reason why I pick Cena is because he has been a victim to bad booking for most of his career but he still was an excellent draw.

This is not about who drew more. If it was that, then this whole thing is pointless. The answer is Steve Austin or Hulk Hogan. People need to leave that out of this. Maybe it can play a role in it but if you are putting Cena over Savage because of drawing power (which I am not sold on regardless), then you have it all wrong.

Take this in for a moment, John Cena is the MOST LIKED athlete on Facebook. He has more likes than Kobe Bryant, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, LeBron James, all of them. That goes to show you how popular and well known he is.

Another argument that is COMPLETELY unfair to use against Savage. Social media was damn near nonexistent when Savage competed. And yet, despite that, Randy Savage was still known by plenty of non-wrestling fans.

Plus, Cena was really good from Wrestlemania 20 till Wrestlemania 22, after that his character became stale.

So 2 years of being "really good" and 8 years of being stale. Hmm... :lol

Do we really think Macho Man Randy Savage can survive today's 300 day on road schedule and be the top superstar for the company for 8-9 years straight?

Considering plenty of below average wrestlers survive today's 300 day on road schedule (it isn't like that is just restricted to John Cena; heck, 3MB does it), I have no idea why you think Savage couldn't, especially considering he is (or, well, was) in far better shape than 95% of the roster.

And Steve Austin was the top superstar of the WWE for only 4 years. And 1 of those years, he missed completely. Is Cena better than Austin too?

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby The Legend » Mar 31, '14, 10:09 am

My choice was Savage and I do believe he should win this match, but make no mistake about it I believe this is a really unfortunate first round matchup and it's a mistake that Cena won't win a round in this tournament. He's one of the most influential people ever in the wrestling business. He can cut a promo, he can work a really good match and he can sell an angle. The biggest thing working about him is the fact that his booking has been really bad and the writing may be the worst it's ever been in WWF.

However, the fact of the matter is every positive I say about Cena I can also say about Savage to the same degree and maybe even more so in some cases. And Savage did have the benefit of not having bad booking or writing strangling him.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Mar 31, '14, 11:49 am

I am glad that some people are supporting Cena in this thread, because it means that there's at least a bit of discussion on the first day. However, it's hard to believe that there are people taking a stand for Cena here. Macho Man wins this one so hard that I feel a little bad for Cena.

For those of you talking about who's a bigger draw or who was the face of the company the longest, these really cannot be the deciding factors for this tournament or we'd have to eliminate most of the competitors instantly. As Messiah said already and as I've said in the past, if we're only judging these based on who is the biggest name or draw then lets just make an Austin v Hogan poll and leave it at that.

This will be one of the easiest decisions I have to make in this entire tournament, because frankly Cena doesn't beat Macho Man in any category other than 'face of the company for longer'. And is that even a point in his favour? People haven't exactly been happy about his lengthy run. And it's not like the run has been thoroughly enjoyable. It's hardly been tolerable. The man has been a creative black hole since 2009. Should we really punish Savage just because WWE were smart enough back then to realise that there was someone else in the company even more popular than him? Cena isn't the most popular person of our current era either - they just act as though he is.

And that is the only category in which Cena has a clear win over Savage. Even in terms of popularity, fame and draw power, Savage has him covered. Savage's year as champion was the WWE's most financially lucrative year of the Golden Era and their ticket sales that year were massive. That year between Wrestlemania 4 & Wrestlemania 5 would have been considered more of a success than any single year since Cena became champion for the first time.

Savage is also damn near a household name. Far more people know who Savage is than Cena, whether Cena is the most liked wrestler on Facebook or not. He was in commercials and had a distinctive look and personality that made him memorable even to non-wrestling fans. Remember how big the news of his death became in the media? I sincerely hope John Cena lives to be 100, but if he was to pass away at 58, over a decade after his retirement, do we believe that he would receive that same level of fanfare?

After that though, things get even easier when comparing both performers. Cena doesn't even compete with Savage in terms of gimmick/personality and he certainly can't compete with the man's talent as a performer.

Savage was better in the ring.
Savage was better on the mic.
Savage was more charismatic.
Savage had better entrance music.
Savage had better ring gear (than everyone ever).

It's a no-brainer.

Cena didn't make my top 20, because when it comes to raw talent I don't think he's up there with the best in any category. But it's not like he's a really bad performer. He's had good moments, he's had a handful of great matches and he's cut a few exciting promos. But his career has been excruciatingly dull for the last 5 years and his sometimes impressive mic and ring skills can't compare to Savage's dominance in that area.

There aren't that many people nominated in the tournament that I would have wanted to lose to Cena. But I don't think any other opponent could have exposed his deficiencies so blatantly.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby The Legend » Mar 31, '14, 12:09 pm

^^^ My point wasn't so much in trying to consider him to be so much higher, but rather to say that he deserved to be rated much higher in the tournament for what he's done and what he's meant to the business. He shouldn't have been a 7-seed, he should have been capable of winning at least a first round matchup in this tournament.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Mar 31, '14, 12:11 pm

The Legend wrote:^^^ My point wasn't so much in trying to consider him to be so much higher, but rather to say that he deserved to be rated much higher in the tournament for what he's done and what he's meant to the business. He shouldn't have been a 7-seed, he should have been capable of winning at least a first round matchup in this tournament.

The seeding was based entirely on amounts of people who placed them in their nominations. Cena received five nominations, which made him a 7 seed. So I couldn't have fairly put him any higher than where he's at.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Mar 31, '14, 12:15 pm

Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:^^^ My point wasn't so much in trying to consider him to be so much higher, but rather to say that he deserved to be rated much higher in the tournament for what he's done and what he's meant to the business. He shouldn't have been a 7-seed, he should have been capable of winning at least a first round matchup in this tournament.

The seeding was based entirely on amounts of people who placed them in their nominations. Cena received five nominations, which made him a 7 seed. So I couldn't have fairly put him any higher than where he's at.

I understand that and please understand that I'm not blaming you Tim. What I am saying is that the nominations show a point that Cena may be the most under appreciated wrestler of all time. He is far better than most people give him credit for here and always has been.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Viazon » Mar 31, '14, 12:21 pm

I'm gonna go for Savage.

I do believe Cena is a good wrestler, despite what people say, and is very capable of putting on excellent matches. But frankly, so could a lot of wrestlers if given a chance. I believe Cena should always have been a main eventer but I never believed he should have held onto the top face spot of the company as he has. That should be reserved for the very best in the company and that just isn't him. Savage may have played second fiddle to Hogan but it was a deserving spot and one you can't really be ashamed of. Cena was always good enough to be a world champion but never good enough to be in the spot he has been in for so many years.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Messiah » Mar 31, '14, 12:42 pm

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:

I understand that and please understand that I'm not blaming you Tim. What I am saying is that the nominations show a point that Cena may be the most under appreciated wrestler of all time. He is far better than most people give him credit for here and always has been.

You didn't nominate him either, though.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Mar 31, '14, 12:58 pm

As much as I'd love to vote for Randy Savage because I can sense the major and deep impact he had in the wrestling business, I can't.

I've never seen his matches back or his promos enough to just vote for him as much as I feel I'd like to if I had because the posts for pro-Savage definitely give the impression that the dude was comporable and potentially more than Hogan's equal. I've seen a few interviews of him outside of his character and he did seem a nice person aswell but I feel it'd be dis-honest to vote for him when I can't really say I've seen enough or anything of him.

So John Cena, you better thank me. You've got my vote.

Not that it's going to help you much.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Postby SortaCreative » Mar 31, '14, 1:26 pm

Can't believe Cena got that many votes.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby prophet » Mar 31, '14, 3:04 pm

Macho Man Randy Savage is one of the greatest ever, he's in my top 5 of all time whereas John Cena isn't. Really it's that simple for me. I got a bit passionate in the shoutbox about this earlier but I think Messiah and Hanley etc.. pretty much summed everything up.

Savage was by far the better wrestler, by far the better talker and is one of the most beloved superstars of all time. I'm actually a John Cena fan, always have been and I'm still a fan today but he couldn't hold a candle to the Macho Man and never will be able too. I'd take one Savage over two Cena's one million times over. Genuinely I couldn't feel stronger about this.

Just genuinely every category you can think of Savage bests Cena. Music, attire, charisma etc.. and his relationship with Miss Elizabeth will always remain in history as the top couple in pro-wrestling history. Macho Man was never THE guy because they never let him be THE guy, Hogan was top dog in the company and Savage never had the chance to surpass him because they never gave him the chance. It's the same in the modern day, CM Punk could've made the step up and become THE guy but they didn't allow him the opportunity because Cena was there and as long as Cena is around nobody will ever surpass him.

Sure writing hasn't always been kind to Cena but when you get to the type of level he's at you're pretty much allowed to go out there and say whatever you want and when John Cena is given that kind of freedom he usually comes out with the same old stuff. I can also admit that Cena is capable of good matches and I definitely think he's under-rated as an overall in-ring performer to an extent but even so doesn't come anywhere near Savage and never will. Turn him heel and get back to me in a few years.

OOOOO YEAAAAAAAAAAH DIG IT!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Squared Circle Classics