It is currently: May 09, '24, 12:45 am

Wrestler of the Year 2015

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Wrestler of the Year 2015

Postby Hanley! » Jan 23, '16, 9:30 pm

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Awards came out this week. The winner of the wrestler of the year award was AJ Styles. Just to add to the wild week that he's been having.

Styles definitely seems a deserving winner, but I was wondering about people's opinions on this. Do you think Styles was the right choice? Is there anyone else that should have been considered for the top spot?

Here's the rest of the top 10:

1. A.J. STYLES
2. Hiroshi Tanahashi
3. Kazuchika Okada
4. Shinsuke Nakamura
5. John Cena
6. Brock Lesnar
7. Seth Rollins
8. Sasha Banks
9. La Sombra
10. Jay Lethal

It's probably not surprising to see four New Japan wrestlers at the top of the list, given the quality there's been in the main event there, and considering the terrible year that the WWE have had. Rollins probably would have been higher if he hadn't gotten injured. I'm not surprised Lesnar is so high, but I don't think he's worked enough to really warrant that spot. It's really cool to see Banks up that high though. She did have a very good year.

Thoughts?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Wrestler of the Year 2015

Postby Str8Shooter » Jan 23, '16, 10:32 pm

It seems like a pretty good list actually. The four New Japan guys are all well deserved from what I've seen of their work this year which is most of the main stuff. Cena is deserved for his work with the US Open challenge from earlier in the year, Rollins was great, Lesnar had some good stuff with the Triple threat with Cena and Rollins, then a good Mania match out of Reigns, and the Taker matches.

Sasha Banks is awesome to see on there. She may have been higher but I can't recall any really standout matches on NXT TV other than the Live specials. Plus her main roster run has underwhelmed so far let's be honest.

Lethal I'm always impressed by on the ROH TV show, his matches are good and his promos are so good too. I haven't seen much of his big PPV matches though as they're harder to get a hold of.

La Sombra I know is now signed with NXT and should be debuting soon, so I'm excited for that. I'm unfamiliar with his work but if he's on this list he must be good.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Return to General Wrestling Discussion