It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 1:41 am

Christian Cage in TNA

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Christian Cage in TNA

Postby Messiah » Sep 23, '15, 7:27 pm

What did everyone think about Christian during his time in TNA?

In my opinion, he is one of the best acquisitions they have ever made. I know a lot of people thought TNA screwed up in part because of the amount of ex-WWE wrestlers they brought in, but I didn't think that was necessarily an issue. Christian, despite being "made" in the WWE, really came into his own in TNA. I got into TNA around 2006/2007, whenever Abyss (who I was a HUGE fan of as well) and Sting were in the midst of their feud, and Christian was one of the most entertaining acts that they had. I loved the Christian Coalition, even though a lot of people felt AJ Styles deserved better.

I never got into Christian in WWE as much as I did when he was in TNA. His feud with Orton was very entertaining but otherwise, they didn't give him much of a chance, he got too injury prone, and he isn't a good babyface.

His theme in TNA was pretty cool too:

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: Christian Cage in TNA

Postby Westcoastvibes » Sep 23, '15, 8:32 pm

I agree and disagree at the same time. For me, Christian was at his best with edge, they lifted each other to new heights, however Christian was at his best as a singles wrestler in TNA. I do believe its because he was not reliant on his past with edge to connect with the fans, he was able to start with a blank slate per say but have an established name. That is one thing I believe TNA excels at, giving creative freedom. They are not afraid to try something abnormal, if it dont work then try again. Most actors are at their best when they are invested in a character and have some connection with that character, I would assume wrestlers are no different. CM Punk embraced his character because it was an extension of him, same with stone cold, john cena and more. Others, like brodus clay, fandango, adam rose, the menagerie and countless others fail because its some gimmick drawn up by a team of creative writers and have no connection to the people playing that role.

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 98

Postby KaiserGlider » Sep 24, '15, 10:07 pm

I haven't seen much of Christian Cage but what I have seen was very good. I hate how he's just "the guy who hangs out with Edge" nowadays.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby VaderBomb » Sep 24, '15, 11:28 pm

Christian was so awesome in TNA at that point. I watched his whole title reign play out and then when he got signed back with WWE I was ready to see him kill it. Then they killed him.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Twister » Oct 07, '15, 4:21 am

Christian in TNA was awesome. Edge and Christian are one of my favourite tag teams of all time, but Christian solo in WWE never really captured my interest, whereas in TNA he did.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Kreashko » Dec 29, '15, 6:40 pm

Christian in TNA...AWESOME! That's when TNA was cooking with all four burners ('05-'07) with Jarrett, Angle, Joe, Abyss, AJ, and Christian all at the peak of their wrestling careers in my opinion.

At that point wrestling in general was still cooking with gas unlike now where I honestly couldn't give two you know what's...

Anyway, Captain Charisma back then just felt like a main eventer to me. Oh, and his theme was awesome too. #CC4Life

Kreashko Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 45

Postby Hanley! » Dec 29, '15, 6:45 pm

Man, his theme was awesome. It'd really get you psyched up for his matches.

I thought they did a good job with him for a long time. He had a lot of charisma and they let him show it. He was in some real compelling feuds and angles. I remember seeing him in a couple of great matches too. One against Samoa Joe comes to mind; I think it was at Bound For Glory.

I was worried about how he'd be treated when he signed back with WWE, and those fears turned out to be very warranted. He did have a couple of title reigns in 2011, including some killer matches against Randy Orton. But they feud was handled terribly and he lost almost every match. He never came close to his TNA run. Given TNA had some bad years after he left, maybe he made the right decision anyway, but it's hard to tell.

For all the criticism TNA gets (most of it deserved), they really did handle some guys much better than WWE did.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby AkydefGoldberg » Dec 30, '15, 2:23 pm

^Never see him on TV - has he officially retired (or unofficially) or is he injured? He's had a fairly good run as a pro-wrestler but shame he wasn't given that leeway to shine (nothing new) especially after his rap-offs with Cena and the segment with Vince McMahon.

AkydefGoldberg Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 519

Return to General Wrestling Discussion