It is currently: May 09, '24, 3:03 am

Greatest Match Round 1: Bret/Owen Cage SS94 vs. Lesnar/Angle WM19

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Which match was better?

Poll ended at Jun 23, '15, 9:10 pm

Bret vs. Owen
67%
Angle vs. Lesnar
33%

Total votes : 12

Greatest Match Round 1: Bret/Owen Cage SS94 vs. Lesnar/Angle WM19

Postby Everlong » Jun 17, '15, 9:10 pm

SquaredCircle's Greatest Match of All Time!

(2) Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, Cage Match, Summerslam 1994

VS

(7) Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle, WrestleMania XIX

VOTE NOW for which you liked better. Voting will last three days. In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by which match had more people commenting in its favor.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: Greatest Match Round 1: Bret/Owen Cage SS94 vs. Lesnar/Angle WM19

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 18, '15, 12:34 pm

Bret vs Owen is the greatest Steel Cage match of all time. Lesnar and Angle put on a very exciting match but it's a four star match whereas the Cage match is no doubt a five.

Lesnar and Angle had a great feud and always told a solid story but there's no way that you can match with the storytelling that the Hart brothers told during their series of matches stemming from Survivor Series 1993 (Owen was the only Hart eliminated from their team) to SummerSlam '94 and onwards (Survivor Series 1994, Backlund, Stu and Helen and the towel).

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Everlong » Jun 18, '15, 12:42 pm

I'm with Vader here. Lesnar and Angle had an incredible series of matches, and this one and the Iron Man are definitely the crown jewels of the bunch. Can you imagine if Lesnar had actually hit that Shooting Star press, how much people would have marked the fuck out?

But yeah, as good as their WrestleMania XIX encounter was, it can't top Bret/Owen. I'd agree with Vader in saying this is the greatest cage match of all time, and IMO this is a better match than their WrestleMania X one. It's just so freaking epic, the storytelling is incredible. It's one of my all time favorites for sure.

So I voted for both of these matches to get into the tourney, but Bret/Owen edges it out by a decent amount for me.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Postby The Legend » Jun 18, '15, 1:20 pm

I'm going to echo something already said here. The Bret/Owen cage match is the quintessential cage match of all time. It's fantastic and dramatic and athletically amazing. Angle/Lesnar is a damn fine match. It's probably more enjoyable for me than a lot of the matches that will be put forward in this tournament into the second round, but it got a shitty draw in this moment.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby SortaCreative » Jun 18, '15, 1:36 pm

Yeah, Brett vs. Owen is probably the best cage match i've seen. It sucks that Lesnar/Angle met this match first because I love their main event too. Oh well.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KaiserGlider » Jun 19, '15, 1:42 am

I just had the pleasure of watching Owens/Bret Cage for the first time and I agree that it definitely tops Lesnar/Angle.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby VaderBomb » Jun 19, '15, 1:45 am

I really like the Lesnar/Angle match but I'd be so happy to see Bret and Owen take this one.

:tim

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Viazon » Jun 19, '15, 6:25 am

Angle vs Lesnar is, I believe, one of the better Wrestlemania main events in recent history. I can't think of many that I would place above it. It was just a great wrestling match and in all honestly, didn't expect myself to be voting against it in this round. I didn't anticipate just how great this cage match would be.

I just watched the cage match for the first time and it is pretty much the perfect cage match. So much action throughout. You are kept on your toes the whole time. There were many times where I was sure the match would end but it kept on going and kept surprising me. The amount of times they prevented each others attempts to escape was insane. That is something I feel they don't utilize enough in current cage matches. Usually, a wrestler will unnecessarily attempt to inflict more damage to an opponent when there is in fact a more logical opportunity to try and escape. In this match, both men attempted to escape whenever they saw an opening, which is what a cage match should be. You would expect the constant attempts of escape being foiled by each men would get repetitive and dull and they really made it work. While Angle vs Lesnar was a top class pure wrestling match, they have been many matches I would say are better. However, I can't recall a better cage match than this one.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Kirbi » Jun 24, '15, 3:49 pm

Eh, they tried to escape too much for me - it got a bit old. I find it a bit crazy that this is more highly regarded than the Wrestlemania 10 match; I really, really enjoyed that one. This one was only ok.

Lesnar/Angle take it for me, although that wasn't one of my very favourites either. But I can't vote anymore, anyway.

I am enourmously contrary, you say? Quite right. :P

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Return to General Wrestling Discussion