It is currently: May 20, '24, 2:06 pm

GFW announces first roster members

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

GFW announces first roster members

Postby Str8Shooter » May 06, '15, 5:13 pm

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/More_Talents_Revealed_for_Jeff_Jarrett_s_Global_Force_Wrestling_Jarrett_Comments.html

Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Doc Gallows
"Machine Gun" Karl Anderson
Lance Hoyt
Chris "Adonis" Mordetsky (Chris Master)
PJ Black (Justin Gabriel)
Quinn “Moose” Ojinnaka
Lei’D Tapa
Thea Trinidad

What's everyone think? A good start? Doomed to fail?

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: GFW announces first roster members

Postby Kirbi » May 06, '15, 5:15 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/More_Talents_Revealed_for_Jeff_Jarrett_s_Global_Force_Wrestling_Jarrett_Comments.html

Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Doc Gallows
"Machine Gun" Karl Anderson
Lance Hoyt
Chris "Adonis" Mordetsky (Chris Master)
PJ Black (Justin Gabriel)
Quinn “Moose” Ojinnaka
Lei’D Tapa
Thea Trinidad

What's everyone think? A good start? Doomed to fail?

Why?

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 11

Postby Hanley! » May 06, '15, 5:16 pm

It's an average start. No real stand out names for me there, but Smith and Black and Mordetsky are talented. Hoyt and Gallows are serviceable, but will bring at least a tiny bit of WWE/TNA recognition.

Lei’D Tapa is awful. Just awful. Being a female wrestler who's large doesn't make you Awesome Kong. If GFW don't hire Gail Kim, she won't be capable of a single passable match, because I don't think anyone else has the power to make her look good.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Daz » May 06, '15, 5:18 pm

It's the NJPW midcard!

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Str8Shooter » May 06, '15, 5:19 pm

Hanley! wrote:It's an average start. No real stand out names for me there, but Smith and Black and Mordetsky are talented. Hoyt and Gallows are serviceable, but will bring at least a tiny bit of WWE/TNA recognition.

Lei’D Tapa is awful. Just awful. Being a female wrestler who's large doesn't make you Awesome Kong. If GFW don't hire Gail Kim, she won't be capable of a single passable match, because I don't think anyone else has the power to make her look good.

I haven' seen Tapa much bu the consensus is she's awful.

I don't mind some of the names on the list, but it's not much of a draw. They aren't getting a decent TV deal with those guys and girls.

But there really isn't a lot of bigger name guys out there. Pretty much everybody is locked up with WWE, TNA, even ROH has their top guys locked in. And the top indy guys seem to be heading to NXT now. I could see them stealing some TNA guys as their deals expire if they can come out strong.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » May 06, '15, 5:27 pm

That's a pretty good start. I saw some work from Masters recently - way post WWE second release - and he's definitely improved.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby prophet » May 06, '15, 5:32 pm

An average start I'd say. Though I was expecting the likes of Carlito and Paul London so I'm not really sure I can complain.

Hoping some Brits are recruited, though. Zack Sabre Jr, Will Ospreay, Noam Dar, Tommy End etc...Ricochet if he's not still pretending to be a Puma...

The Legend wrote:That's a pretty good start. I saw some work from Masters recently - way post WWE second release - and he's definitely improved.

Seen him a few times lately working for an English fed called PCW (Preston ChampionshIp Wrestling, Kaiser don't sue) and he's actually the fed's heavyweight champion and has really been impressing!

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » May 06, '15, 5:33 pm

I'd rather see talent than star power really. They seem to be talking this up as a wrestling show that's going to be different. I think the best way to do that is start from the ground up. Introduce us to a new wrestling roster. Honestly that excites me more than some big name jumping ship.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » May 06, '15, 5:41 pm

John Morrison seems like a lock, can go in the ring and still has some name value from his WWE run and being on TV. I assume Lucha Underground doesn't have locked in deals.

I don't know what AJ Styles deal is with New Japan, or his relationship with Jarrett, but he seems like obvious choice to be the "face" of the company so to speak.

I definitely agree that talent is #1, but they're going to need some sort name value as well. Jarrett doesn't seem like the type to run this thing like an indy and compete with ROH, PWG and LU. He wants to be big time, hence the Vegas connection.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » May 06, '15, 5:42 pm

Hanley! wrote:I'd rather see talent than star power really. They seem to be talking this up as a wrestling show that's going to be different. I think the best way to do that is start from the ground up. Introduce us to a new wrestling roster. Honestly that excites me more than some big name jumping ship.

I think the answer is to find the right balance. In order to make money you need a few names that people recognize to draw them in and then you hit them with all the other talent you have.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » May 06, '15, 6:07 pm

The Legend wrote:
Hanley! wrote:I'd rather see talent than star power really. They seem to be talking this up as a wrestling show that's going to be different. I think the best way to do that is start from the ground up. Introduce us to a new wrestling roster. Honestly that excites me more than some big name jumping ship.

I think the answer is to find the right balance. In order to make money you need a few names that people recognize to draw them in and then you hit them with all the other talent you have.

Wrestling fans will be attracted to a new form of wrestling if they manage to do something to make themselves stand out. We've seen huge stars jumping ship a bunch of times before. It never helped TNA. I'm hoping they rely on marketing and alternate distribution channels to build fans.

Bringing in genuine stars is often a mixed blessing at best. First of all, the amount of money they demand eats into their smaller budget. They'll be seen as "above" everyone else, and it could become a barrier to making stars out of the rest of the roster. And if they have too much power, it can create resentment in the locker room and that kind of negative atmosphere can bleed into the show.

I'd rather see medium level stars like Morrison just to get some more wrestling fans checking it out early on. If they were to land a Goldberg or a CM Punk (or one of WWE's bigger names), they might spike a rating early on, but the show would ultimately suffer.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby ShaneOfan » May 06, '15, 7:55 pm

I'd like to make the sex with Thea Trinidad.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby SKS » May 06, '15, 8:12 pm

His name is Johnny Mundo, you smarks :angrysanta

I'm interested in what the show is like, more quality wrestling the better. I like Mordetsky. But the large woman is just terrible.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Racing Guy » May 07, '15, 3:53 am

I have to think that NXT is the best thing that ever happened to independent wrestlers and the worst thing to independent promotions. I doubt there are many legit wrestlers who aren't shooting for NXT. It's gonna be hard for JJ to recruit guys/girls unless they are over the hill or can't get into NXT.

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby KaiserGlider » May 19, '15, 11:25 am

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to General Wrestling Discussion