It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 11:14 pm

Wrestlers who didn't live up to the hype

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Wrestlers who didn't live up to the hype

Postby Hanley! » Oct 13, '14, 6:02 pm

Yet another thread from Hanley! Come on, @Porkchop, do you even topic?

I probably won't create a topic in a month after tonight so I might be milking it a little ...

We all know that the wrestling industry has problems creating new stars, and sometimes the most irritating thing about being a wrestling fan is watching the bookers screw things up with a talent that has the potential to be a main eventer.

But instead of talking about those guys, lets talk about those guys who fucked things up themselves. Who seemed like they could have been great, but then just didn't live up to that promise. I'm sure @The Legend and @Str8shooter will have a few examples, as I think they already argued the cases for some in a recent thread.

So who do you think totally botched their opportunity at being a huge star? Who didn't match our expectations for them? I'm going to start the ball rolling with Samoa Joe. He was really over at one point, and capable of putting on great matches and great promos. He had a real badass aura to him that made him captivating to watch. So what went wrong? The guy got lazy.

Sure, they took too long to put the title on him and TNA are not at all innocent in how they presented Joe over the years. But there's a reason they were able to keep going back to Styles when they were in a bind, yet Joe didn't get that same treatment. It's because much of the time it seems like he's going through the motions. When he performs with passion, he's great to watch, but when he's phoning it in his matches are an absolute chore to get through.

Plenty of wrestlers eventually cemented themselves as a top star by just retaining that passion to be the best over a long period of time, even if the bookers took years to give them the recognition they deserved. It seems like Joe just decided not to give a fuck anymore.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Wrestlers who didn't live up to the hype

Postby SortaCreative » Oct 14, '14, 5:41 pm

This fucking guy.

He's was hyped and built up and everyone alone was foaming at the mouth for a LIGHT vs. DARK match with the Undertaker. And really, that seemed like the logical big feud for him. But what the fuck happened. I remember he squashed Scotty 2 Hotty and then... where did he go?

Why was he taken from us?

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ShaneOfan » Oct 14, '14, 5:48 pm

Heidenreich
Sean O'Haire (dude was being pushed to the moon but drugs)

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby DBSoT » Oct 14, '14, 6:11 pm

Sadly Drew McIntyre. From the chosen one to comedy jobber to out of the WWE. Hell his ex wife was doing better in TNA then he was doing in WWE.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Westcoastvibes » Oct 14, '14, 6:14 pm

Sadly, Bray Wyatt. I really wanted that character to be something special and he was on the cusp of being there but has since fallen flat on his face

Westcoastvibes Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 98

Postby CubsIn5 » Oct 14, '14, 6:53 pm

SortaCreative wrote:Image

This fucking guy.

He's was hyped and built up and everyone alone was foaming at the mouth for a LIGHT vs. DARK match with the Undertaker. And really, that seemed like the logical big feud for him. But what the fuck happened. I remember he squashed Scotty 2 Hotty and then... where did he go?

Why was he taken from us?

Was my first fucking thought. Coulda been huge.

CubsIn5 None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 14

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '14, 2:39 am

Apparently Mordecai coped terribly with the pressure that comes with performing. I've read stories that he'd be out the back chucking up seconds before his theme music began, on a pretty regular basis. He was cool but he didn't sound like he was cut out to be a wrestler.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Twister » Oct 15, '14, 7:57 am

Nathan Jones.
Maven.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby SortaCreative » Oct 15, '14, 10:19 am

Maven did alright.

He had a stint as upper mid card against Evolution in 05 i think.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Messiah » Oct 15, '14, 10:35 am

Maven had a badass theme.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 470

Postby CMPUNKFAN » Oct 15, '14, 12:05 pm

Ken Kennedy

CMPUNKFAN Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 119

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '14, 1:11 pm

CMPUNKFAN wrote:Ken Kennedy

In what way?

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Twister » Oct 15, '14, 1:22 pm

SortaCreative wrote:Maven did alright.

I guess, then he just kinda faded into wrestling obscurity. As the first ever Tough Enough winner, I kind of expected more.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby PorkChop » Oct 15, '14, 1:25 pm

Twister wrote:
SortaCreative wrote:Maven did alright.

I guess, then he just kinda faded into wrestling obscurity. As the first ever Tough Enough winner, I kind of expected more.

Same could be said for Big Andy. He won Tough Enough, got stunnered by Austin on Raw and then fired :lol

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Postby HardcoreLegend » Nov 03, '14, 8:03 am

I think the most obvious guy would be Sin Cara.

HardcoreLegend None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 50

Return to General Wrestling Discussion