It is currently: Jun 26, '24, 2:55 am

TNA could be cancelled by Spike (Reportedly done now)

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

TNA could be cancelled by Spike (Reportedly done now)

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 27, '14, 9:59 pm

Lots of other rumours from people like Meltzer etc saying there's a good chance Impact gets cancelled by Spike this week. Apparently they're not interested in re-upping their deal.

Sad day for wrestling in the US if true.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: TNA could be dead this week

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 27, '14, 10:09 pm

UPDATE:

TMZ of all people just "reported" that Impact is indeed cancelled by Spike.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/27/impact-wrestling-cancelled-spike-tv-tna/

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author

Re: TNA could be cancelled by Spike (Reportedly done now)

Postby Georgerv » Jul 27, '14, 10:49 pm

Imagine if Spike picked up GFW instead :lol

Georgerv Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 42

Postby VaderBomb » Jul 27, '14, 10:59 pm

Wow. Big hit for mainstream wrestling but in a positive light TNA sucked, so it could be worse. I wonder if they will continue to put on events?

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Racing Guy » Jul 27, '14, 11:10 pm

This may be the the actual end of TNA. It's WCW all over again.

Racing Guy Male
NXT Talent
NXT Talent

Topics: 21

Postby flock u » Jul 27, '14, 11:28 pm

Georgerv wrote:Imagine if Spike picked up GFW instead :lol

Supposedly Jarrett signed a deal with TNA when he exited that says he's can't talk to Spike TV

flock u Male
Jobber
Jobber

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 3

Postby Messiah » Jul 27, '14, 11:51 pm

Reportedly Spike pulled the trigger on this because, along with several other reasons but this being the final straw, of Russo unintentionally outing himself as being involved with TNA again. It was said they were keeping it a secret only to not allow Spike TV to find out because Spike doesn't like Russo.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 471

Postby Messiah » Jul 28, '14, 12:09 am

BAH GAWD

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby KaiserGlider » Jul 28, '14, 12:16 am

Holy shit. Well I hope TNA finds a new network, because they've been producing some good shows lately and I would hate to see them leave television.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Twister » Jul 28, '14, 3:06 am

KaiserGlider wrote:Holy shit. Well I hope TNA finds a new network, because they've been producing some good shows lately and I would hate to see them leave television.

Agree, they've been on a bit of a roll lately and this is a real shame. Hope they can pick up a new tv deal somewhere soon.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Romo » Jul 28, '14, 5:47 am

WWE must be purring at the amount of talented wrestlers who could been weeks from needing jobs

Romo Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 225

Postby Messiah » Jul 28, '14, 6:06 am

KaiserGlider wrote:Holy shit. Well I hope TNA finds a new network, because they've been producing some good shows lately and I would hate to see them leave television.

Unfortunately, TNA is more than likely finished. No network is going to offer them close to the money Spike was giving them and they were already struggling financially before that. Not to mention whatever network they find will likely be well below Spike when it comes to exposure, especially considering WWE didn't have the easiest time finding a network either compared to what was expected. I don't think they will make it out of 2014.

I won't pretend like I watched TNA over the past couple of years. The only time I did "consistently" was when Abyss was with James Mitchell feuding with Sting and Christian Cage was with Styles and Tomko. Watched some of the Main Event Mafia era too with Steiner, Nash, Angle, etc. Also when there was VKM (Billy Gunn and Road Dogg). But it is a shame they couldn't find more success. Dixie Carter was way in over her head and Hogan/Bischoff didn't do much to help. I hope a lot of their talent can find work elsewhere.

I wonder how much different TNA would be had they managed to sign Paul Heyman when they were talking to him. Of course they still would have needed to make sure someone who understood the business side of things had it under control (not Dixie and certainly not Paul).

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Everlong » Jul 28, '14, 10:53 am

TNA is done. Spike was the last network that was going to give them the kind of deal they need to stay afloat. USA/SciFi probably have agreements with WWE that mean that even if they wanted to, they couldn't give another contract to a wrestling network. Plus, I think the networks probably know a sinking ship when they see it.

Crazy to think that WWE will be the only wrestling federation with any kind of significant television deal in the US.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Everlong » Jul 28, '14, 10:54 am

Now on the other hand, it'll be interesting to see how many of these wrestlers choose to go to GFW rather than WWE. This could be a big opportunity for Jeff Jarrett to get his hands on some talent with real name recognition.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 28, '14, 11:37 am

Everlong wrote:TNA is done. Spike was the last network that was going to give them the kind of deal they need to stay afloat. USA/SciFi probably have agreements with WWE that mean that even if they wanted to, they couldn't give another contract to a wrestling network. Plus, I think the networks probably know a sinking ship when they see it.

Crazy to think that WWE will be the only wrestling federation with any kind of significant television deal in the US.

Not to mention that from what I've read TNA relied almost exclusively on that Spike money to stay afloat. Even if they could get a TV deal on a smaller network somewhere, they'd be nowhere near the amount they get from Spike. They'd have to dramatically downsize their entire operation down to indy level probably.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby SKS » Jul 28, '14, 12:08 pm

Can't say that TNA didn't have this coming. Spike told them they wanted Russo out, yet TNA had "secretly" hired him back anyway. Dixie Carter is awful. I feel bad for the wrestlers that will be out of a job, hopefully some will sign with the WWE and GFW. Would love to see the majority of the TNA roster working for Double J again.

OH SQUARED CIRCLE, DON'T YOU DARE BE SOURRRRRR! CLAP ALONG WITH YOUR TAG CHAMPS, AND FEEL THE POWAHHHHHHHH!

SKS Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 266

Postby Twister » Jul 28, '14, 12:42 pm

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Str8Shooter » Jul 28, '14, 12:49 pm

The keyword is "claim" to be ongoing. :P

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Kirbi » Jul 28, '14, 12:57 pm

This is weird news, but it could work out for the best for wrestling fans even if TNA just goes under; if another promotion (GFW or another) moves quickly to try for the audience established by TNA. Probably a lot of people are used to having a televised weekly alternative to WWE.

Also, what the hell is with the random ellipses in the TMZ article? I'm not sure I should even believe something that badly written.

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby The Legend » Jul 28, '14, 1:05 pm

I'm not so sure that there won't be another network that looks into Spike TV. Remember that when there was negotiations for WWE there were supposedly 6-8 networks looking to get in the wrestling game. NBC and Spike were two of them and they obviously don't count, but a network like AMC and others.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Next

Return to General Wrestling Discussion