It is currently: Jun 26, '24, 3:49 am

ROUND TWO: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (2) vs. Triple H (3)

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Who was better?

Randy Savage
54%
Triple H
46%

Total votes : 28

Postby Everlong » Apr 09, '14, 8:12 am

The Ultimate Wrestler Tournament

Two of the biggest names in WWE history collide right off the bat here in round two. Who moves on to the quarterfinals?

The Tower of Power, Too Sweet to be Sour, MACHO MAN. If not for Hulk Hogan, Savage would have arguably been the biggest star of the 1980s, and maintained his star power long into the 90s in WCW, bleeding into the mainstream media as well as the Slim Jim spokesman. Savage's match against Ricky Steamboat at WrestleMania III was considered to be a couple decades ahead of its time and remains an all-time classic.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

*WWF Championship (x2)
*WCW World Heavyweight Championship (x4)
*USWA Unified World Heavyweight Championship (x1)
*WWF Intercontinental Championship (x1)
*King of the Ring (1987)
*Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame (Class of 2009)
*Wrestling Observer Match of the Year (1987)

NOTABLE MATCH

PART ONE:

PART TWO:

NOTABLE SEGMENT

The Game played second fiddle to The Rock and Steve Austin throughout most of the attitude era, but when the two left the company he was prepared to take the mantle, becoming the leader of Evolution and one of the greatest heels in the history of the WWE. A man reviled by the IWC for his perceived unwillingness to put over new stars, this has only added to his heel status and the gravitas that he carries in the ring.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

*WWF/E Championship (x8)
*World Heavyweight Championship (x5)
*WWF European Championship (x2)
*WWF/E Intercontinental Championship (x5)
*WWE Tag Team Championship (x1)
*World Tag Team Championship (x2)
*King of the Ring (1997)
*Royal Rumble winner (2002)
*Grand Slam Champion
*Triple Crown Champion

NOTABLE MATCH

NOTABLE SEGMENT

VOTE NOW!

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 2439

Re: ROUND TWO: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (2) vs. Triple H (3)

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 09, '14, 8:24 am

A closer call than the Savage/Cena round but still Macho Man takes it by a landslide. Not taking anything away from Hunter but Savage is just better all around. On the mic they are on the same level, although Macho Man will always be the more entertaining of the two. In the ring, it's not as close. Savage was a better wrestler and performer, and also more original. Triple H's move set is highly influenced by Harley Race, while Savage seemed to influence more than was influenced by. Watch the way CM Punk moves in the ring, especially how he exits the ring. Pure Savage. Watch anybody (E.G. HBK) go up to the top rope for an elbow and not mimic Savage to a certain extent. Macho Man is one of the absolute best of all time.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Everlong » Apr 09, '14, 8:27 am

Yeah Vader already said pretty much everything I was going to say. HHH was great, but Savage was greater. Savage beats out Hunter in the ring, on the mic, in terms of star power, drawing power, mainstream appeal,I basically everything people are using in this tournament to judge a wrestler.

Triple H is one of my favorites, but I can't put him through past the Macho Man.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 09, '14, 8:35 am

HHH is a great entertainer. He's a great performer and a great wrestler, but for anyone who watched Macho Man in his prime the guy was an icon and a legend. He should definitely take this one.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby prophet » Apr 09, '14, 9:47 am

Pretty much what has been said. To me Macho Man is superior to Triple H in every single department and should win this though after the last round I'm not so sure anymore. HHH is still one the very best no question - he just doesn't come close to Randy Savage.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Ace » Apr 09, '14, 10:11 am

I guess I'll be the first to support Triple H. Triple H has done it all in the company. Macho Man entertained better & put on awesome matches with absolute legends but Triple H accomplished more.

Their ring skills match up pretty evenly IMO. Macho Man was a talker but so was Triple H. Triple H also has done a fantastic job playing the heel & that's when I believe his best mic/promo work comes out. Triple H helped shape the company in DX during the Attitude Era & was able to stay at the top of the food chain as a wrestler until maybe 4 years ago.

Not to mention that thanks to making the right move & marrying the bosses daughter Triple H will be overlooking the company soon although he claims that the only reason that's true is because he is the game :lol whatever.

Gave this one to Triple H

Ace Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 35
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HFX » Apr 09, '14, 10:26 am

Ace wrote:Not to mention that thanks to making the right move & marrying the bosses daughter Triple H will be overlooking the company soon although he claims that the only reason that's true is because he is the game :lol whatever.

Macho didn't need to buy the cow when he got the milk for free ;)

Anyways I voted for the Macho Man. Triple H was and is a great heel. One of the best of all time. As a face he sucked hard but he was just born to be a bad guy. They are both good on the mic but Macho had more energy and captivated me when I watch his past segments. As far as in-ring work I have to go with Macho Man again. Triple H can have a good match but I don't find him that great. At least not on the level of Randy Savage. Randy to me was the total package. He was great in the ring and on the mic, he captivated audiences and sold out arenas. He was a key player in the mass popularity and growth of the WWF. And most importantly he could play a great heel or face. Triple H is only really capable of being the top heel, which is a role he is amazing at. But Macho Man could play the top face on the planet or one of the best heels on the roster.

Thanks Tim for the great sig and avy.

#TIM2020
Make America Tim Again
HFX Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 43

Postby ShaneOfan » Apr 09, '14, 10:26 am

Macho Man was a good wrestler and a good talker but HHH is amazing. HHH has done so much to carry the business forward that it just can't be ignored.

Thanks to SKS and Tim for the awesome sigs!

Join the PCW!

http://www.pubtalkforum.com/thepub/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24&start=20

C.C.P.
ShaneOfan Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 260

Postby DanielsonTHAGOAT » Apr 09, '14, 10:43 am

Macho Man is a better technician than Triple H in the ring. Randy Savage was better as a face better than Triple H. Randy Savage was one of the best draws during the Golden Age of professional wrestling. With that being said, Triple H is probably the master of ring psychology IMO, one of the greatest heels ever (atleast top 3), and really gave Austin & Rock a lot of credibility IMO because of how good of a heel he was.

It's a very close battle but I think another thing we should take into consideration is that Triple H was the staple for two of the greatest factions in the WWE. Degeneration X was instrumental to the Attitude Era and pushed boundaries on television that haven't been pushed before. The New Age Outlaws and X-Pac aren't really bad wrestlers like the internet tries to make them out to be.

As far as Evolution, it produced two stars - Orton & Batista. It was probably one of the best heel stables I've seen and they were so good. In fact, that Evolution era on RAW is one of my favorite timelines in wrestling.

My vote goes to Triple H.

DanielsonTHAGOAT Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 155

Postby Kirbi » Apr 09, '14, 10:43 am

HHH is good, but Macho Man was better - in the ring, and on the mike. And I can very easily stack Savage's much broader fame up against HHH's influence on the company (neither of which are immediately relevant to the argument, though).

Kirbi None specified
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 11

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 09, '14, 10:46 am

I have a feeling that this is going to be a close one.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Postby Chewy » Apr 09, '14, 1:42 pm

I voted for HHH because I liked him more.

Wyatt sig by the dazzling Tim.
Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 21

Postby The Legend » Apr 09, '14, 1:52 pm

Chewy wrote:I voted for HHH because I liked him more.

Somebody's taking Tim's suggestion to the extreme.

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 09, '14, 1:53 pm

The Legend wrote:

Member of the Month IMO.

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Apr 09, '14, 1:55 pm

The Legend wrote:

Oh fuck me, I post in accordance with the rules and still get chipped.

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby Messiah » Apr 09, '14, 1:56 pm

DanielsonTHAGOAT wrote:Macho Man is a better technician than Triple H in the ring. Randy Savage was better as a face better than Triple H. Randy Savage was one of the best draws during the Golden Age of professional wrestling. With that being said, Triple H is probably the master of ring psychology IMO, one of the greatest heels ever (atleast top 3), and really gave Austin & Rock a lot of credibility IMO because of how good of a heel he was.

It's a very close battle but I think another thing we should take into consideration is that Triple H was the staple for two of the greatest factions in the WWE. Degeneration X was instrumental to the Attitude Era and pushed boundaries on television that haven't been pushed before. The New Age Outlaws and X-Pac aren't really bad wrestlers like the internet tries to make them out to be.

As far as Evolution, it produced two stars - Orton & Batista. It was probably one of the best heel stables I've seen and they were so good. In fact, that Evolution era on RAW is one of my favorite timelines in wrestling.

My vote goes to Triple H.

Savage was the bigger draw though.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 471

Postby The Legend » Apr 09, '14, 2:01 pm

Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Member of the Month IMO.

You are being unclear, me or Chewy?

World Champion
World Champion

Postby Everlong » Apr 09, '14, 2:03 pm

The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Member of the Month IMO.

Well I was referring to Chewy, but as you are both Club Cena Cadets, it's going to be a very difficult choice. ;)

Everlong Male
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topic Author

Postby Chewy » Apr 09, '14, 2:09 pm

Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Everlong wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Member of the Month IMO.

Well I was referring to Chewy, but as you are both Club Cena Cadets, it's going to be a very difficult choice. ;)

:ricardo

Chewy None specified
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Postby The Legend » Apr 09, '14, 2:46 pm

:cena

World Champion
World Champion

Next

Return to General Wrestling Discussion