It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 1:32 pm

G1 Supercard - ROH/NJPW

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

G1 Supercard - ROH/NJPW

Postby Hanley! » Apr 06, '19, 5:37 pm

Is anyone else watching this? Vader?

This is the show I've been looking forward to most this week. Takeover was always going to be great, but I think the best matches from this show could surpass it. Ibushi vs Naito. Tanahashi vs Sabre Jr. A potential Okada title win? Yes please.

The ROH guys will do stuff too I guess.

The pre-show just ended and it definitely seems like the MSG crowd is there for New Japan and not Ring of Honor. Can't blame them. They freaked out for Liger and Muta. I honestly don't know what the hell ROH were thinking with that finish though.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: G1 Supercard - ROH/NJPW

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 06, '19, 10:24 pm

I unfortunately had to work all night tonight and am not subscribed to NJPW World currently. I'm planning on avoiding spoliers and watching it on DailyMotion on Monday. I would do it tomorrow but combined with WM, that's even too much wrestling for me. Very excited to watch it though.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Apr 07, '19, 6:28 am

I'm basically done with wrestling for the weekend now, I'm not bothered watching Wrestlemania. There are too many other wrestling promotions who will have put on better wrestling shows this week. I might catch some clips on dailymotion tomorrow if I hear that they're worth watching, but I couldn't put myself through 7/8 hours of WWE main roster programming these days.

I won't post any more spoilers here about the G1 Supercard until you've watched it, but it was very much a show of two halves. The New Japan stuff was awesome, while most of the Ring of Honor stuff was a big disappointment.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Apr 07, '19, 9:36 am

I also am not subscribed to NJPW world, but I've got a channel that shows NJPW stuff on Friday nights and am really looking forward to catching some of this. They are generally a little bit behind (this weekend they showed the quarter, semi and finals of the NJ Cup and that really got me sucked in). They are advertising next Friday showing two hours of the G1 show, so not sure what they will show/omit, but looking forward to it none the less.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Apr 07, '19, 9:42 am

Yeah, the New Japan cup was really good this year. Maybe the best it's ever been. I thought SANADA had a star-making run, and I hope it leads to a strong showing in the G1 Climax tournament this year.

If they're only showing the Japanese stuff on Friday, it's probably almost a better way to watch the show. Ring of Honor didn't really endear themselves to the New Japan audience during the show. Which was a little sad. I'm a New Japan fan and don't really follow Ring of Honor but I would have liked to have been sucked in by their stuff here. They do have some good talent like Bandido and Jeff Cobb and the guys from Villain Enterprises. I'm even a fan of Mark Haskins from his run in OTT. But the MSG show made them seem very much like the minor leagues compared to New Japan.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 07, '19, 12:20 pm

I accidentally had the result of the main event spoiled for me, so I ended up looking up the results for the full card. I'm still going to watch the show tomorrow but feel free to give the show a rundown, I'd like to read your opinions on it Hanley.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 177

Return to General Wrestling Discussion