It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:51 am

Big news on Kenny Omega

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Big news on Kenny Omega

Postby VaderBomb » Jan 07, '19, 6:40 am

Kenny Omega is rumored to be leaving NJPW. It may have something to do with NJPW not wanting to have a talent exchange with Cody and the Buck's new promotion All Elite Wrestling. So where do you think Omega will go if he leaves? AEW or WWE?

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: Big news on Kenny Omega

Postby Hanley! » Jan 08, '19, 12:59 pm

Word is that he's going to AEW, but we'll wait and see. I think he'd suck in WWE. The company would rob him of almost everything that makes him stand out. Every great wrestler gets held back in the ring by WWE's schedule, agents and match philosophy, but I could see it particularly hurting Omega.

If WWE had brought in the Elite, it could have caused a bit of a shake up on Raw, in the short term at least. But now that most of the rest of the group have already signed with AEW, I don't think going to WWE would ultimately be good for Kenny's perception or popularity. But maybe the money and exposure will sway him anyway.

We're in a weird position with AEW because in all likelihood they're not going to do much until the latter half of the year. Maybe they'll run the Double or Nothing show in April or May, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to get a television spot until the fall, which means all of the guys who are signing there will be more or less put on ice for a few months. They've timed things horribly in relation to the Madison Square Garden show too, because obviously New Japan were never going to be able to agree to a relationship with ROH's direct competitors when they're running a massive show with them in three months.

I realise though that AEW have an announcement coming later today that could make me look like an idiot for the above, and hopefully it does. But I can't see things getting off the ground that fast.

I would have liked to see Kenny stay in New Japan. But I don't think it's the end of the world that he's leaving. Ospreay, Sabre, White and Juice will all play a big role in the company's expansion into the English-speaking market.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Re: Big news on Kenny Omega

Postby prophet » Jan 08, '19, 5:13 pm

Jericho and Neville have just been announced as being involved with AEW, so that’s cool.

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that Jericho still wants to be involved with NJPW and wrestle Tanahashi this year so my guess is AEW and New Japan have a verbal agreement in place to share talent, to be put in writing once the upcoming MSG show with ROH is done with. I think if that does end up happening the likelihood is Kenny working with both companies.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to General Wrestling Discussion