It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 6:57 am

Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho announced for Wrestle Kingdom 12

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho announced for Wrestle Kingdom 12

Postby Hanley! » Nov 05, '17, 7:37 am

This was just announced at New Japan's Power Struggle show last night. Jericho appeared on the screen after Omega defended his US title against Trent Barreta.

The New Japan surge is real. It's going to be interesting to see what this does for the promotion's already growing popularity in the United States.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: Kenny Omega vs Chris Jericho announced for Wrestle Kingdom 12

Postby SlightlyJames » Nov 05, '17, 8:10 am

Fucking hell, that'll be cool. I knew they'd been talking shit on twitter but I'd assumed any match they had would be on that cruise thing Jericho is doing. Jericho wrestling for New Japan is not something I thought I'd see these days, he always talks about how he's a Vince guy for life. Maybe he asked permission?

Also, any chance to play Judas on a big stage :lol

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 275

Postby Hanley! » Nov 05, '17, 8:26 am

I can't imagine that Vince gave him permission. They're protective over their top guys, I doubt they'd go lending them to the no.2 promotion in the world. It's more likely that this is just Jericho trying to expand his brand.

That being said, I find it weird that WWE still refuse to mention TNA on television, but they will often name-drop New Japan and Ring of Honor, which are both bigger than TNA at this point. It's like they're operating on an outdated view of the wrestling landscape.

I thought the Jericho/Omega stuff on Twitter was leading to a match on the boat too, but really wasn't interested. This definitely changes things. It'll be interesting to see how Jericho fares wrestling at the biggest New Japan show of the year, with no restrictions on what he can do. He's 46 now, so it'll be impressive if he can keep up with the rest of the guys on that card.

New Japan, Ring of Honor, and the Elite in particular have been picking up a lot of momentum this year. If they can keep the hits coming, it feels like something big could be on the horizon.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Nov 05, '17, 8:58 am

This is pretty cool. I'm assuming it's a one off appearance for Jericho to wrestle his Winnipeg compatriot. Whether WWE will be pissed off about it I don't know, if it's a one time thing they probably won't be too fussed about it, I'm sure he mentioned it to them. I know he asked them to have NXT on his cruise before going to ROH.

Jericho isn't quite what he used to be though. 10 years ago Jericho vs Omega is a MOTY contender, but at 47 the match will probably just be good.

Already theories online that Jericho is doing this as a "scouting" mission kind of and he'll head to Vince and HHH and tell them afterwards what he thinks of Omega so they can sign him. :P I don't think Omega is heading to WWE anytime soon though.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » Nov 05, '17, 9:33 am

Hanley! wrote:That being said, I find it weird that WWE still refuse to mention TNA on television, but they will often name-drop New Japan and Ring of Honor, which are both bigger than TNA at this point. It's like they're operating on an outdated view of the wrestling landscape.

I think there's a couple of factors at play here. First is a kind of shift in the company's philosophy that acknowledging new signees past can actually boost credability and popularity quickly. It comes at a time though that TNA has been so badly damaged at this point and their reputation doesn't really boost anyone's credability. I mean TNA hasn't done anything worth discussing because it's good in a decade. So it's a matter of the timing being a factor.

The second major factor is part WWE, part their network partnership. I imagine USA network and NBC Universal feels better about WWE talking about companies that aren't a threat to their ratings numbers. As popular as ROH or NJPW may be, American consumers still have to actively hunt them out, you won't find them on a television station (barring NJPW being on a small cable company, but months behind in live programming). TNA's network isn't great and smaller than it used to be, but they still have a TV deal that puts them on TV in American households.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Nov 05, '17, 12:49 pm

The Legend wrote:
Hanley! wrote:That being said, I find it weird that WWE still refuse to mention TNA on television, but they will often name-drop New Japan and Ring of Honor, which are both bigger than TNA at this point. It's like they're operating on an outdated view of the wrestling landscape.

I think there's a couple of factors at play here. First is a kind of shift in the company's philosophy that acknowledging new signees past can actually boost credability and popularity quickly. It comes at a time though that TNA has been so badly damaged at this point and their reputation doesn't really boost anyone's credability. I mean TNA hasn't done anything worth discussing because it's good in a decade. So it's a matter of the timing being a factor.

The second major factor is part WWE, part their network partnership. I imagine USA network and NBC Universal feels better about WWE talking about companies that aren't a threat to their ratings numbers. As popular as ROH or NJPW may be, American consumers still have to actively hunt them out, you won't find them on a television station (barring NJPW being on a small cable company, but months behind in live programming). TNA's network isn't great and smaller than it used to be, but they still have a TV deal that puts them on TV in American households.

The second factor is a lot more believable than the first. A guy like Bobby Roode, who came into NXT as a big deal, had his entire career take place in TNA and became a main eventer during the Hogan/Bischoff era. Austin Aries, Eric Young, James Storm, etc all had their biggest and best moments in TNA, so it doesn't give them a bigger boost to just say "this guy is a veteran who has wrestled all around the world" instead of actually listing some specific accomplishments they had in TNA.

As for Jericho vs Omega, this is a really cool thing for NJPW and it'll be interesting to see how much of a boost this gives them and how WWE responds to it in the future. From a personal standpoint though, it's hard to get excited about Jericho in 2018 and him hyping himself up as the "best in the world" felt silly. So I don't think I'll be hunting this match down unless I hear great things about it.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Nov 05, '17, 2:42 pm

I agree that Jericho hyping himself as the best in the world at this point in his career feels hokey outside of the world of WWE. In New Japan it's going to be pretty damn obvious that he's not close to that anymore. This will be a good match, and could even be a great match. But I seriously doubt that Jericho is going to challenge Okada vs Naito for match of the night. I could be proven wrong though.

Mostly I'm just excited for what this could mean for New Japan. They're by far the most popular promotion in Japan, the way for them to expand is through the United States. They've already made a lot of ground there, but Jericho might help push them even further.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Ali » Nov 05, '17, 4:20 pm

I think a bigger reason might be a lot simpler: spite.

New Japan and RoH have never, to my knowledge, set themselves up as direct competition to WWE the way TNA has. To use Monday Night War analogies, they're more like ECW to TNA's WCW. New Japan and ROH end up giving a lot of talent to WWE, but they still offer different enough products that they don't really occupy the same space in the overall wrestling marketplace.

TNA, by comparison, came across for the longest time as WWE-Lite. Even though they had homegrown individual talent like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe to an extent, and Bobby Roode, they relied heavily on guys that made their name in WWE. Jeff Hardy, Christian, Kurt Angle, MVP, Matt Hardy, Mr. Kennedy/Anderson, Lashley, RVD, and older stars from the earlier days of wrestling like Sting, Kevin Nash, Mick Foley, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, they all got major pushes in TNA primarily due to the name/gimmick recognition from WWE, WCW, or ECW. Their production was trying to undeniably copy that of WWE, they did try to ape stories that worked in WWE, they even tried to do a Monday Night War again and were thoroughly squashed.

So I'm Vince McMahon or Triple H, and I'm very petty. You have a decent relationship with us, you're not constantly running your mouth and trying to usurp our spot in the landscape, sure. We'll mention you, give you a rub, we can coexist. But when your whole modus operandi was or still is trying to use names WE built to further YOUR brand and take US down, what do we benefit from acknowledging your existence?

Credit to SKS for the new Waluigi World Order!

My movie rating scale:
  • AMAZINGLY AWESOME!!!
  • Great
  • Good
  • Enjoyable Crap
  • Crap
  • I WILL KILL EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH THIS PRODUCTION

Last movie seen - Inside Out; Rating - Amazingly Awesome
Ali Male
Midcard Attraction
Midcard Attraction

Topics: 43

Return to General Wrestling Discussion