It is currently: May 02, '24, 7:18 pm

The New TNA Heavyweight Champion is...

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

The New TNA Heavyweight Champion is...

Postby prophet » Dec 20, '13, 8:12 am

Magnus.

First British World Heavyweight Champion in Wrestling if I'm not mistaken. How do you regular TNA viewers feel about this? I don't watch TNA enough to make an intellectual comment but I'm happy for him and whenever I've actually seen Magnus on TV he's looked good. Beating Sting, Joe and Angle on the way to the final shows they have some faith in him, right?

Oh and what the fuck is a 'Dixieland' match?! :lol

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: The New TNA Heavyweight Champion is...

Postby Hanley! » Dec 20, '13, 8:26 am

I'm happy for Magnus. He's a talented guy, and it's good to see the company giving a push to a new, young talent. They haven't done enough of that lately. It's just a shame that it's coming during a terrible creative period for the company.

Dixieland sounds like such a Russo concept. I hope they don't go back to those depths.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Dec 20, '13, 10:00 am

Hanley! wrote:I'm happy for Magnus. He's a talented guy, and it's good to see the company giving a push to a new, young talent. They haven't done enough of that lately. It's just a shame that it's coming during a terrible creative period for the company.

Dixieland sounds like such a Russo concept. I hope they don't go back to those depths.

Apparently it starts off a cage match and they have to escape the cage, get up the ramp to the stage and climb a ladder to get the title. Is that right? :lol Sounds like Jailbreak :P

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Dec 20, '13, 10:46 am

Yeah, it really does sound like Jailbreak. :P Except probably even worse. It's not a good concept. Cage matches and ladder matches should never be squished together, it just reduces both gimmicks. They don't tie in well together.

It is frightening how much like Russo this sounds. Complex and silly gimmick matches were kind of his thing. Given the Feast or Fired match apparently returned too (groan), it really sounds like they're getting back to that awful place they were a few years ago.

They should have kept Bruce Prichard on. He didn't get a lot of credit for it, but while he was head of creative, things were great. As soon as he left, things started going down the shitter.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 20, '13, 12:46 pm

I think Magnus is bland and overrated, so as far as him winning the title goes, fuck that. Doesn't do anything for me. I can appreciate them pushing a new talent, but at the same time they're doing nothing with Austin Aries and that pisses me off. It's like having Cody Rhodes win the wwe title while CM Punk is wrestling dark matches. I think I could have gotten behind Magnus if they didn't turn him heel and aligned him with Dixie. She's just a black hole of suck. But then again I don't know, maybe he'll be a lot better as a snobby British heel. But I don't see him having a better title reign than Bully or Roode.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Dec 20, '13, 2:04 pm

Well yeah, Magnus isn't close to as talented as the likes of Roode (who has been the highlight of TNA for weeks/months now). But he's still young and has been steadily improving. I do think the heel turn was probably a mistake, but they regularly turn the wrong people heel.

I agree on Aries for sure, he's one of the best guys they have right now and I'd say he's actually the most over guy on their roster. But before I stopped watching, he wasn't on television for like a month straight. I have no idea why they wouldn't be using one of the best tools in their arsenal.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby prophet » Dec 20, '13, 3:17 pm

Roode, Aries, Bully, Sabin and now Magnus have all been heel world champions. Does TNA hate faces? :lol

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author

Postby The Legend » Dec 21, '13, 9:12 am

My only real problem with it is Magnus' heel turn makes zero sense. Like as I watched it I don't even understand how it means he is a bad guy now. He was practically unconscious on the ramp when Jeff climbed the ladder and then Spud knocked him over. Magnus had no idea what was going on and then the fans and Tenay turn on him for waking up and climbing the ladder like the whole thing was his fault. The best guy in the world would have climbed that ladder in that situation. It was an incredibly pointless swerve for the sake of a swerve that wasn't needed at all for it to be a good match.

I really wish Jeff hadn't been in the match and another heel - practically anybody was the one that tried to stop Magnus, but just wouldn't be able to.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Buck » Dec 22, '13, 5:01 pm

prophet wrote:Magnus.

First British World Heavyweight Champion in Wrestling if I'm not mistaken.

LARIAAATOOOOOOO.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby Daz » Dec 22, '13, 5:06 pm

I miss Nigel so much. :(

I do support Magnus though, if only because he's from where I'm from.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 25

Postby Buck » Dec 24, '13, 6:43 pm

I'd kiss Nigel's feet, if I was sure he'd kick me if I tried it.

Magnus, is okay. He needs a name change. His name currently sounds like diarrhea forcing its way out of my bulbous ass.

Other than that, he's definitely better than most of the "legends" in TNA. I.E. washed up piles of steaming turds of no purpose to anyone.

The Artist Formerly Known As Supakilla13.

Joined WWE-Club on September 10, 2003.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A.
Buck Male
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 26

Postby Hanley! » Dec 25, '13, 9:21 pm

^^ There's precious few legends left in TNA. Though some of the remaining legends are still pushed beyond what they really deserve at this stage in their career; namely Sting, Angle and possibly Hardy.

It's unfortunate that TNA have started to really suck in the writing department at the same time as they started finally pushing some of the younger talent. It's similar to the last couple of years in WCW in a way. Hopefully that's not a bad omen.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Return to General Wrestling Discussion