It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 3:33 am

Cody Rhodes is ROH World Champion

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Cody Rhodes is ROH World Champion

Postby prophet » Jun 26, '17, 1:50 pm

and I missed it because I've spent the last 6 days pissed up on a big farm in Somerse

Cody won the ROH World Title last Friday and that's pretty cool. He's been on a roll since leaving WWE and his work in ROH has been exemplary, couldn't be happier for him. Also on a related note if he (won't happen) beats Okada he'll be the only man in history to simultaneously hold both the ROH/NJPW World Titles at the same time. Cool.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Cody Rhodes is ROH World Champion

Postby Hanley! » Jun 26, '17, 4:05 pm

I'm happy for Cody. I always thought he was underused in WWE, and he seems to have found an extra gear on the indies. I like the American Nightmare character, and he carries himself like more of a star now (though he always did have a certain swagger that I appreciated).

Hopefully his matches with Okada can live up to expectations, because Okada has been having killer matches on all of the big shows over the past year. He's the form wrestler in the entire world right now. And as someone who's never been on that level in the ring, it does put a certain amount of pressure on Cody. But I'm confident their match will be good; it's just a matter of how good.

There's no way he should be beating Okada though, and I don't think he will. The story of Cody winning the belt before Omega would actually be interesting, and could spark a cool story around Omega splitting from the Bullet Club. But I just think it's too soon for Cody to be pushed quite that hard, particularly in New Japan. He's not going to be in the G1 for starters. And Okada's current title reign has been one of the best in wrestling history, so they're really going to want to make sure that they end it right.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Jun 27, '17, 3:23 pm

The guy bet on himself and right now is winning big time. He's made himself into a bigger star than he was and likely has worked his way into more money and a better push if/when he decides to come back to WWE.

I'm waiting for that big time match from him though. I've heard some people who aren't that high on his in ring work, at least when compared to some other people on the indy circuit and in Japan.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Jun 27, '17, 5:05 pm

The matches of his that I've seen lately have been pretty good, and he did occasionally have match of the night back when he was with WWE. It's just who he's being compared to these days and what's expected of main event wrestlers in Ring of Honor and New Japan. Good isn't good enough.

On the bright side, he'll have a chance to up his game in Long Beach. If he can't have a great match against 2017 Okada then he can't have a great match with anyone.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Viazon » Jun 28, '17, 2:39 am

I'm happy for him. I always thought he had great potential in WWE and feel like they seriously messed up letting him slip through their fingers. Not only could he hold his own in the ring, but he took whatever gimmick or angle they gave to him, no matter how silly it may have bee, and made them work.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Return to General Wrestling Discussion