It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 8:35 am

Lesnar vs Nakamura - NJPW 2006

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Lesnar vs Nakamura - NJPW 2006

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 13, '17, 1:10 am

Figured I'd share this seeing as both of these guys are very relevant right now. Nakamura gets a shot at Lesnar's IWGP Championship back in 2006. Fun, bad ass little match with a very important title on the line.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Re: Lesnar vs Nakamura - NJPW 2006

Postby Everlong » Apr 14, '17, 9:12 am

...how is it that I had no idea Lesnar went to NJPW?

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 2439

Postby VaderBomb » Apr 14, '17, 11:15 am

Everlong wrote:...how is it that I had no idea Lesnar went to NJPW?

He held the world title over there for 280 days with 3 successful defenses. He never technically lost the title, but was stripped due to working visa issues. I don't believe that he ever returned the belt, but the whole ordeal led to (The most heavily pushed NJPW star during his peak and as of this post, the longest reigning IWGP Champion of all time) Hiroshi Tanahashi's first of seven reigns.

VaderBomb Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author
Topics: 177

Postby Hanley! » Apr 14, '17, 1:49 pm

I'm a big fan of Nakamura's, so I've been a little disappointed with his WWE run. It feels like he hasn't been able to get out of second gear since he joined the company. He was a massive star on his first night and had an epic match with Sami Zayn. But he's never reached those heights since. Most of his matches since then have been good but not great, and he got less over the longer he was in NXT.

It's an unfortunate truth about today's WWE: in most cases, the more you're on television, the less popular you are. They don't know how to turn television time into star power.

Now that he's appeared on Smackdown he's got a little extra boost. There's a bit of that extra spark and excitement about him again. I really hope he does some good stuff soon to keep people's excitement levels up. Dolph isn't a bad first opponent on that score - I just hope that they can really deliver in the ring. I feel like Nakamura needs a statement match soon to let American fans know how good he is.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby KaiserGlider » Apr 14, '17, 10:06 pm

That's what happens when your very first appearance is a match of the year candidate. Nowhere to go but down. That being said, I think he's had very good matches with the likes of Samoa Joe and Roode, they were more action-packed than his match with Zayn which had an incredible atmosphere from seeing Nakamura for the first time. I don't know if he'll ever be able to top that moment during his main roster run, but he's certainly going to have a ton of great matches.

@Everlong Brock also wrestled Kurt Angle for the IWGP title in Japan, though it wasn't on the level of their WWE encounters.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Return to General Wrestling Discussion