It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 12:26 am

Best/Worsts of 2016

For any wrestling discussion non-WWE related, including TNA, ROH, independent wrestling, past wrestlers or the business in general!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Best/Worsts of 2016

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 29, '16, 9:22 pm

Male Wrestler of the Year:
Female Wrestler of the Year:
Tag Team of the Year:
Match of the Year:
Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year:
Best Character:
Best Entrance Theme:
Best Feud:
Best Moment:
Breakout Superstar of 2017:

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans):
Worst PPV/Network Special of the Year:
Worst Booking Decision:

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 472

Re: Best/Worsts of 2016

Postby The Legend » Dec 29, '16, 10:24 pm

Male Wrestler of the Year: AJ Styles
Female Wrestler of the Year: Charlotte
Tag Team of the Year: New Day
Match of the Year: Miz vs Ziggler, title vs career
Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year: Battleground
Best Character: The Miz
Best Entrance Theme: Seth Rollins
Best Feud: Miz vs Ziggler
Best Moment: AJ Styles debuts at Rumble
Breakout Superstar of 2017: Kevin Owens

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): the Club
Worst PPV/Network Special of the Year: Fastlane
Worst Booking Decision: Putting HHH vs Reigns as the main event of Mania

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby DBSoT » Dec 29, '16, 11:02 pm

Tag Team of the Year: The New Day
Match of the Year: DIY vs The Revival (2 out 3 falls)
Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year: Summerslam
Best Entrance Theme: Bobby Roode
Best Feud: John Cena vs AJ Styles (Miz/Ziggler close 2nd)
Best Moment: AJ Styles beating John Cena clean
Breakout Superstar of 2017: Baron Corbin

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): Goldberg
Worst Booking Decision: Making a Cruiserweight Division with out any real plan in place. Thankfully Neville is saving that division.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 29, '16, 11:55 pm

Female Wrestler of the Year: Asuka
Tag Team of the Year: Chris Jericho & Kevin Owens
Match of the Year: Nakamura vs Zayn
Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year: NXT TakeOver Dallas
Best Character: Chris Jericho
Best Entrance Theme: AJ Styles
Best Feud: Cena vs Styles
Best Moment: Goldberg beats Brock Lesnar
Breakout Superstar of 2017: Sami Zayn

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): Finn Balor
Worst Booking Decision: Having NXT Takeovers the same weekend as big main roster PPVS and adding extra hours to aforementioned PPVs

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Dec 30, '16, 8:57 am

Tag Team of the Year: The New Day (that long of a title reign deserves it)
Match of the Year: DIY vs The Revival - NXT Takeover Toronto
Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year: Extreme Rules ( I don't remember cards lol, I know this had the awesome IC title 4 way and a great Reigns/Styles match though)
Best Entrance Theme: Nakamura
Best Feud: Charlotte vs Sasha (I guess?)
Best Moment: AJ Styles debuting @ The Rumble, "Fight Forever" during Nakamura/Zayn in Dallas
Breakout Superstar of 2017: AJ Styles (hard to argue anyone else)

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): Nakamura (I love him but I always expected more from the Joe matches to be honest, still waiting for that next Nak/Zayn quality match.)
Worst PPV/Network Special of the Year: Mania? (just based on hype)
Worst Booking Decision: Reigns vs Triple H main eventing Mania

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Hanley! » Dec 30, '16, 10:17 am

Tag Team of the Year: The Revival. By a country mile.
I'm genuinely surprised people are voting for New Day here. People might not dislike them as much as me, but it seems ridiculous they could be considered the best team of the year given they haven't had a single decent feud or story.

Match of the Year: If we're talking about all wrestling promotions, Tanahashi vs Okada at Wrestle Kingdom. Styles vs Nakamura would probably be my second pick. If not, the 2 out of 3 falls match between the Revival and Gargano/Ciampa. There were some fab matches this year.

Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year: If this is between all wrestling promotions then it's Wrestle Kingdom 10, absolutely no competition. If we're only talking about WWE, then NXT Toronto.

Best Entrance Theme: Nakamura. Though there are so many right now. Joe, Zayn, Owens, Roode, Perkins. The themes being given lately are generally fantastic.

Best Feud: The Revival vs Gargano/Ciampa. Runners up would be Styles vs Reigns and Styles vs Cena.

Best Moment: Styles debut

Breakout Superstar of 2017: I'm guessing Samoa Joe. Hoping Sami gets more to do also.

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): Finn Balor. I like elements of his persona, but he has a long way to go before he'll be a worthy main event talent.

Worst PPV/Network Special of the Year: Wrestlemania 32.

Worst Booking Decision: The brand split. It has the largest negative impact overall, even if there's things that seemed dumber on the surface.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby prophet » Dec 30, '16, 7:07 pm

Tag Team of the Year: DIY
Match of the Year: Nakamura/Zayn
Best PPV/Network Special Show of the Year: I don't watch actual shows enough to be able to recall one in particular.
Best Character: Charlotte
Best Entrance Theme: Kevin Owens
Best Feud: Styles/Cena
Best Moment: Nakamura's in-ring debut
Breakout Superstar of 2017: Baron Corbin

Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): Dean Ambrose is awful in every way
Worst PPV/Network Special of the Year: Royal Rumble was the most predictable shit ever and they went with it anyway
Worst Booking Decision: Everything they've done with Rollins' face turn

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Legend » Dec 30, '16, 9:21 pm

Hanley! wrote:=
Tag Team of the Year: The Revival. By a country mile.
I'm genuinely surprised people are voting for New Day here. People might not dislike them as much as me, but it seems ridiculous they could be considered the best team of the year given they haven't had a single decent feud or story.

Worst Booking Decision: The brand split. It has the largest negative impact overall, even if there's things that seemed dumber on the surface.

Here's the thing with New Day, to me they are like the tag team version of Bayley. There's not a lot of depth there and there's a limit in the types of stories they tell, but because of their energy and persona it's impossible for me to not smile when they are on TV. They are fun and energetic and all of that makes them likable to me.

As for the brand split, I don't mind it nearly that much. I think a brand split for WWE is largely a good idea and builds in some creativity crutches that they can use right now. There's things I'd change about the brand split (#1 is lessening the number of single branded PPV's), but ultimately there's things far more problematic than the brand split.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 30, '16, 9:24 pm

Hanley! wrote:I'm genuinely surprised people are voting for New Day here. People might not dislike them as much as me, but it seems ridiculous they could be considered the best team of the year given they haven't had a single decent feud or story.

Maybe, but they've had some funny moments and have consistently been putting out good matches throughout the entire year, and have managed to stay really over with crowds despite their overlong title reign and lack of great feuds. Also, people have seen a lot more of New Day this year than The Revival and that factors in as well.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Dec 31, '16, 6:49 am

prophet wrote:Most Overrated Wrestler (by internet fans): Dean Ambrose is awful in every way

I almost said Ambrose for this, but I feel like this was the year where people started to realise how not that good he is. There are a lot less people arguing that he should be the face of the company now than there were at the start of the year. And that's after he had an actual title run and spent a long stretch in the Smackdown main event.

I still feel that since the Shield broke up, Roman Reigns is a main event level talent who's used terribly, Seth Rollins is a main event level talent who's used okay, and Ambrose is a midcard level talent who's used okay. The other two guys have a much higher ceiling than Ambrose

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby KaiserGlider » Dec 31, '16, 1:33 pm

Hanley! wrote: The other two guys have a much higher ceiling than Ambrose

Unless Ambrose turns heel.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Dec 31, '16, 6:22 pm

Ambrose probably would be a much better heel, but I'll wait until he's turned before I rave about how good he is in the role. People thought he'd be the best singles performer of the three before the group split up and he never got there, so it's best not to assume.

I think his in-ring work is just average in general, but he's shown glimpses of great mic work recently, suggesting he could be an awesome character if he worked heel and didn't have to pander and act silly so often.

Though it may be worth mentioning that Reigns and Rollins seem best cast as heels too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Return to General Wrestling Discussion