It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 2:36 pm

PCW Onslaught Ep. 18 Preview (due 1/1/15)

For members of the PCW efederation.

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Re: PCW Onslaught Ep. 18 Preview (due 1/1/15)

Postby SortaCreative » Jan 08, '15, 5:45 am

I don't write here, I don't have anything to do with what's going on here but sure as shit you'll keep rebooting unless you have an active, vocal and dedicated community. 100%.

I don't know how many people have to tell you that throwing around the "it's just about the writing" argument isn't working but... it's not. The writing is one half. The community is the other. PCW doesn't have a community.

Irin
SortaCreative Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 54
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby The Legend » Jan 08, '15, 1:11 pm

I need to sincerely apologize to ShaneOFan. I totally dropped the ball this week. There's no excuse for the fact that I no-showed, but if I'm honestly assessing the situation with all of the holiday events and things going on and then the new year beginning for me at work which means some different and more detailed tasks to get done I haven't had much time to log on here recently and I pretty much forgot there was even a card out there to be done.

With that being said, this doesn't mean that I'm not interested in writing and reading PCW stuff in the future and I enjoy this very much. It just means that a card being sent out two days before Christmas and due on New Year's day was poorly timed - at least for me.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 331

Postby PorkChop » Jan 09, '15, 10:32 am

I know I'm not a part of PCW and wasn't a part of the WCSF, but I read the shows and enjoyed them. Speaking from an outsider's view looking in, PCW (like the WCSF in its final days) is bringing more frustration to this board than it is joy. It seems that many people's segments and matches are constantly late or non-existent, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of communication between members and there's not a lot of discussion going on either. I'd love to see PCW thrive and offer a new dynamic to this website, but that doesn't seem possible when considering its current state.

I think PCW could *possibly* salvaged if big changes were brought in. It can't be claimed that PCW is about relaxed and casual writing and then when shows are delayed, the mods get annoyed about it - that philosophy needs to change for the sake of the fed. I think if your segment/match is late or you miss a show entirely three times, your character gets cut. That will get rid of the time-wasters and leave PCW with a core of committed and reliable writers. This could backfire however as judging from the way things are going currently, it may leave PCW with too few writers to support the fed.

I think PCW is at a crossroads. Either big changes are brought in, or the fed is done.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Jan 10, '15, 7:54 pm

I'm going to weigh in on this, but I'm going to try and be respectful as this isn't a game I'm involved with.

Why not consider changing the game? It's dying and it has been for a long time. I have every faith that you can keep the show going, Kaiser. But in it's current format, I don't think you can revitalize interest in it. Maybe you feel like you've proved the naysayers wrong by keeping the show going for this long, but it seems to be dead on its feet at this point.

Participation has been trending down for at least 3 years now, if you consider this game as an extension of the WCSF. Every now and then, there's a big conversation about how the game isn't working anymore and a few people quit and everybody else carries on. But nothing changes except now there's less people and the community has gotten smaller and there's even less commenting, discussing and caring about the game. Then a few months later the cycle will continue. The game will get a little smaller, a little quieter and stays going just the same.

It's gotten to the point now where if there are more than a couple of posts made in the PCW forum close together, that means that people are talking about whether the game should exist anymore. They're not talking about the game itself.

Kaiser doesn't need other people to fantasy book. He can do that for himself. The other members can certainly write without posting it on a forum. While people have downplayed the community/commenting element of the game in the past, that's the only part of this you can't get elsewhere. It seems that whether it's a conscious decision or not, people are fighting for the one part of the game that's already gone.

It would be easy for me to say that you should just call it quits and stop playing altogether. I don't have anything invested in it anymore. But instead I'll say what I've said the last few times this has happened: consider changing the game. Try something new. Something that might get people more involved - even if it's just the few people who are still playing right now. If you keep going without making a change, we'll be back here again in a few months except even more people will have left and nobody is going to be happy.

I'd like to make it clear also, that it seems to me that Kaiser has done a good job with the fed, and I'm not saying any of this as a slight against him or the other mods. To be honest, I think this format was just bound to eat itself eventually. When page counts started to balloon to ridiculous proportions years ago, and you suddenly had to put far more into the game than you could possibly get out of it, it seemed inevitable that when it started to lose momentum that momentum would be incredible difficult to get back. It's just not a sustainable format.

Consider implementing some changes. I'm not sure exactly what they should be, that's a larger conversation. I don't think just introducing page limits is enough at this point: that'll just make people feel creatively stifled now. But some of the trappings of the game have to change if it's to be a real success again.

Just my two cents on the matter, and I hope nobody is put out by them.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Previous

Return to Phoenix Championship Wrestling (PCW)