It is currently: May 10, '24, 1:24 pm

WWE have ruined Brock Lesnar's appeal for me

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

WWE have ruined Brock Lesnar's appeal for me

Postby Messiah » Aug 22, '16, 5:53 pm

Brock Lesnar and everything about him, from his character/story arc to his performances, have been uninteresting,frustrating, and a clear example of how to mess up a lot of potential with something. I have felt this way for awhile, but it was never more evident than last night.

I like today's WWE a lot more than most people, but they still struggle with the two things that has haunted them for what has felt like more than a decade; basic story-telling and character development. I'm not going to pretend that I am some profound, undiscovered creative storyteller that can shit out these phenomenal wrestling stories whenever I please, but it really isn't that difficult. Lesnar ending The Undertaker's streak was one of my all-time favorite moments. Lesnar's run through 2014-early 2015 was nothing short of unique and fantastic booking. But it, that being Lesnar's reign of terror, should have ended at some point. Lesnar should have gotten his comeuppance by someone. That "someone" would become a made man. Instead, Lesnar is still running through people. His matches, which were at one point entertaining to watch simply because it was something new, are boring as all hell to watch nowadays. Heyman's promos become more tedious to listen to every week. It isn't his or Lesnar's fault. Both are amazing performers. It is like old Cena though. There is no development to anything they do.

Its like the WWE forgot that they bailed out on Reigns being the guy to beat Lesnar (understandably so), but they needed to find someone. It isn't like a clean loss will ruin Lesnar. He is a "bigger than life" star. The only thing it will do is make the opponent who does beat him.

At this point, Lesnar is no better than 2010-2012 John Cena (IMO, the peak of his staleness). Terrible matches. No character development. No story-telling. Its a shame the WWE ruined something that should have been an easy thing to work with. It was an easy and straightforward way of making a star.

Messiah Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 470

Re: WWE have ruined Brock Lesnar's appeal for me

Postby Circled Square » Aug 22, '16, 6:02 pm

Brock is treading water. He needs a good opponent and no such opponent exists. There's nobody who could go over Lesnar on the roster right now without it being a joke. It's a tough spot. Best way to get him out of his shit cycle is to thrust him into the main event.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 22, '16, 9:13 pm

Now that he's done with UFC they should scrap the faux MMA act and let him actually wrestle like a wrestler. We know he's capable of doing so. He can still dominate most of the match but let him do some other moves.

One of Brock's strengths is his selling too which he rarely gets to use.

He's still one of the few special attractions they have. He feels like a bigger deal than everyone else on Raw, he still has value to them but I think it's time for them to to try and put him with some new opponents.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby SlightlyJames » Aug 22, '16, 11:28 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:One of Brock's strengths is his selling too which he rarely gets to use.

Absolutely. The way he sold that hangman DDT last night was fucking excellent. Brock is a badass worker but he never shows it off anymore because he can get away with the suplex city bollocks.

SlightlyJames Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 275

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 22, '16, 11:48 pm

I don't think the problem is that Lesnar hasn't lost, it's that his last two WWE matches were really underwhelming. They barely went past ten minutes and had no drama. It seems like that's Lesnar's fault. Ambrose said on Austin's podcast that he had a million ideas for his match with Lesnar but Brock didn't want to do anything. Then the match with Orton last night was such a letdown. I thought Orton was one of the few guys who had the stroke to be booked stronger against Lesnar, but nope. TKO after 10 minutes? I was surprised to find out that was the actual planned finish and not a botch. I can throw the Lesnar/Rollins match in there as an another letdown.

I thought Lesnar's match with Roman was exciting because they did a great job selling the moment when Lesnar went into the ringpost and Roman started to bring him down. I think that's the formula they should be going for in Lesnar matches. Every guy has to find a way to get an advantage and make it look believable before Lesnar catches them and wins. I thought Lesnar came back too fast in the Ambrose and Orton matches to really create drama. When Heyman hypes a fucking fight, I want to see a fight, not a 10 minute glorified squash.

If Brock lost at UFC 200 maybe they would have used that as an opportunity to power him down. But his domination of Mark Hunt and last night's performance against Orton pretty much guarantee that he's never going to lose. I'm a fan Lesnar and I mark for him dominating over and over, but it'll be a lot more fun if they make it seem like he can actually lose.

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Everlong » Aug 23, '16, 7:00 am

That's the most frustrating thing to me, all of his matches are just German suplex after German suplex, but Brock is capable of so much more than that. I don't know if it's him being lazy or the WWE wanting to book it that way... probably the latter, honestly, given how much they've milked out of his one offhand "Suplex City, Bitch!" yell.

But yeah he's such an imposing character and a fantastic worker and they've made him stale as fuck. WWE is capable of ruining basically anything.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby DBSoT » Aug 23, '16, 8:41 am

I am just kind of done with Brock altogether. His appeal is wearing off and I just can't stand how WWE's rules don't apply to him. This isn't even about the steroids stuff, which WWE bitched out of with a lame excuse about Lesnar being a part timer. No, it has more to do with the way he is presented and allowed to just do what he wants. WWE makes every other wrestler stay on script; Brock/Heyman don't. WWE fines guys for swearing; Brock screams "I don't give a shit about your kids", no fine or reprimand. How about the fact that WWE refuses to show any weakness in Brock. Think about this, since Brock's return, he has squashed Cena, destroyed Orton, beat the Undertaker (2X), Big Show, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, CM Punk, and HHH (2X). He was also reported to squash Daniel Bryan before his injury. Honestly, barring the Rock, who could WWE have to face Brock that would look credible. Reigns hasn't technically lost to Brock before, but he isn't exactly the savior people are looking for either. The only person who could physically match up with Brock is Braun Strowman and I cringe at the idea of that match. Finally, I have acknowledge the obvious. Brock is back into his, IDGAF mode. His last two matches were lazy and uninspired. He is almost getting to, dare I say it, WM 20 levels of lazy.

I won't act like the rest of WWE programming is way better than what Brock brings, but I think it is fair to talk about how Lesnar is losing his drawing power. His act is stale and he has faced everyone he possibly could at this point.

DBSoT Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 218

Postby Viazon » Aug 23, '16, 11:47 am

Yeah, the novelty of Brock Lesnar since he first returned has worn off for me. I really don't think it's fair that he disappears for most of the year but still gets to be in the main events for the biggest PPVs. I would be pissed off if I were the other wrestlers.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby JPG619 » Aug 23, '16, 8:24 pm

Viazon wrote:Yeah, the novelty of Brock Lesnar since he first returned has worn off for me. I really don't think it's fair that he disappears for most of the year but still gets to be in the main events for the biggest PPVs. I would be pissed off if I were the other wrestlers.

I think they have pissed people off with all the part-time guys getting title runs. I have a good feeling that why some top stars parted ways with the WWE since having part-timers like Lesner and The Rock get title shots and they never worked for it like lots of the current wrestlers work night in and night out to get to the top

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Return to WWE