It is currently: Mar 28, '24, 7:50 pm

NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2 Discussion

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2 Discussion

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 21, '16, 10:34 am

Figured we should get some threads going on here and spice things up. I know @Messiah and @Hanley! watched the latest Takeover last night from the chatbox and may have some thoughts, anyone else?

I thought No Way Jose and Austin Aries was better than expected, Jose I enjoy for what he is, and I like that he has a bit of a street fighter edge to him and isn't just the "dancing guy" all the time. Aries always has solid work and is a pretty damn good heel, although the crowd loved him here anyway. Good to see Hideo Itami back and that GTS brought the house down. With a year on the shelf, hopefully he's better adapted to North America now and can really show what he can do in this feud.

Cien Almas and Bobby Roode was a decent little match. Almas is struggling mightily so far in NXT, the crowd's don't seem into him and here was no different them supporting Roode and his amazing entrance music. I thought Almas had his best outing though, hitting some cool moves and looking comfortable. Roode has a bright future in NXT or on the main roster, although a pump handle slam for a finisher is just awful.

Ember Moon has a solid debut match. I like the look and she has some cool visual offense and her finisher look great. Clearly they're high on her, and with Bayley maybe being gone, her time may be sooner than we think.

The Tag Title match was fantastic, best on the show in my opinion. Ciampa and Gargano have gelled really well as a team and The Revival always deliver in these big matches. The ending 5 minutes or so was great, with some awesome near falls and some serious hard hitting offense. The Dusty Finish was well done and made the loss that much more painful. It looked like they were teasing a Ciampa heel turn afterwards. I'd hold off, the tag divison is thin and they need this team right now I believe.

Bayley vs Asuka was pretty good, if a bit of a letdown for me. Asuka looked really good battering Bayley easily in the early going. Cocky Asuka has been great. Bayley showed good fire, but the story pretty much was that she just isn't quite good enough to beat Asuka really. She has one last burst near the end before going down. The sendoff was really cool, and it certainly looks like she's main roster bound now.

Nakamura vs Joe has the big fight feel, with the cool violin entrance for Shinsuke. These guys pummeled each other as you would expect. I'm happy to see Nakamura win, the guy was the biggest star on the show and he probably deserves a title run in NXT. I hope Joe isn't hurt too badly, looked like he was favouring his jaw after the match. I felt like these two have a higher gear that they never hit in this match and hopefully we'll see it in a rematch.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Re: NXT Takeover Brooklyn 2 Discussion

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 21, '16, 4:00 pm

Another really good show.

Good choice having Aries/Jose open. I also think it was a good move to sorta push Aries down to this spot so that he could naturally rebuild himself as a heel and really get over - we're already seeing that start to happen. Upon his debut Aries got the "big star signing" treatment and people ended up being underwhelmed, partially because he was overshadowed by Nakamura. He got over in [around the world] by working up from the midcard and cutting arrogant promos, so hopefully they stick to that. Anyway, good match with a good finish - transition into the Last Chancery. Is Aries allowed to use the Brainbuster?

Post-match was a great moment. You know Aries was thinking "dammit, I thought I was done being murdered by Japanese guys."

Okay match with the women (I feel like the one chick's name should not be Billie Kay. It doesn't fit her look). Ember Moon's finisher is great. Good jog on having the biggest pop of the match be the finish.

Roode's entrance was epic, but I thought the other guy stole the show during the match. I hope people don't end up being underwhelmed by Roode long-term because the guy doesn't have a lot of flashy moves like a Styles or Aries - he's a brawler. Good thing he's already super fucking over because of his theme. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Roode going forward. I think having him work heel is a right move due to his style. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get set up as Nakamura's challenger sooner that later, since it seems like Shinsuke is like the only big face on the roster. I agree that Roode's finisher is awful. He was teasing his old finisher that he used in [around the world], why doesn't he just use that?

The tag team match was definitely balls to the wall, though I wish these guys didn't have such generic looks and names so that I could get into them more. That could be a problem once they get to the main roster. But yeah, the tag team division in NXT has been fucking killing it for a long time. The level of action is outstanding.

I really liked Bayley vs Asuka. It didn't seem to follow a formula, they just went out there and beat the fuck out of each other. Bayley winning would have been strange since it seems like she's main-roster bound. I wonder who they'll set up to beat Asuka, since it doesn't seem like there's anybody left with the cred to do it. Maybe she'll remain an undefeated killing machine and go to the main roster with the women's belt.

I was really hyped for Joe/Nakamura, it was brilliant pairing these two together. I also had no idea who was going to go over. This match had a real MMA feel to it, lots of striking and ground grappling. I dug it. I wouldn't say it was as good as some of the other matches on this show, but the finish was very memorable. Joe still looked strong for kicking out of the Kinshasa. There's probably going to be a rematch on the next Takeover, or Joe could go to the main roster (if he wants to).

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 472

Postby Str8Shooter » Aug 21, '16, 4:35 pm

KaiserGlider wrote:I wonder who they'll set up to beat Asuka, since it doesn't seem like there's anybody left with the cred to do it. Maybe she'll remain an undefeated killing machine and go to the main roster with the women's belt.

The women's division in NXT is paper thin without Bayley. Asuka is clearly the Queen, but who's next up? Ember Moon is arguably the next most over after one night. Billie Kay has been on TV lately, but she's a TV defense if that really. Then you have women like Liv Morgan or Nikki Glencross and Daria who just debuted. I'm not sure if they have any strong indy working females signed, but if they do they need to hotshot them to TV in a hurry.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topic Author
Topics: 359

Postby KaiserGlider » Aug 21, '16, 4:58 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:The women's division in NXT is paper thin without Bayley. Asuka is clearly the Queen, but who's next up? Ember Moon is arguably the next most over after one night. Billie Kay has been on TV lately, but she's a TV defense if that really. Then you have women like Liv Morgan or Nikki Glencross and Daria who just debuted. I'm not sure if they have any strong indy working females signed, but if they do they need to hotshot them to TV in a hurry.

What's Awesome Kong doing these days?

KaiserGlider Male
Ring General
Ring General

Topics: 472

Postby Hanley! » Aug 21, '16, 5:14 pm

I feel a little guilty for being a little underwhelmed by the show, given I thought every match on the show was good. But that is the kind of standard that has been set by previous Takeover shows. My biggest problem with this show is that there just wasn't the same kind of buzz going into it. I think the wrestlers were somewhat handicapped by the booking going into the show, which has been kinda sub-par. More on that later though ...

All that being said, it was still a good show. Just not a great show.

I missed most of the opener, to be honest. Though the finish looked good. Aries looks like he's in a better position now than where he was. And it makes sense to stack the heel side of the NXT card now that they have a strong babyface on top. As for Jose, I have no strong feelings. I remember he had a pull apart brawl with Aries a few weeks ago and I thought it was the best he had looked so far. Which maybe tells you that the dancing gimmick isn't helping him.

Roode's entrance was boss, as was the Roode promo. In general, Roode just looks fantastic. You already know he's going to be the next NXT champion. Love it. The match was pretty good, but nothing special. Almas needs something to work with badly. Last year he was one of the top 10 wrestlers of the year, and this year he's become a big nothing on NXT. Hopefully they can put something together with him soon. It feels like they've made no effort with his character and the story of this match was based 99% around Roode. Not a good sign for Almas.

The match between Billie Kay and Ember Moon was decent. The weakest on the show, but with no build up for the match and very little build up for either of the wrestlers, it really couldn't have been anything more. Both seem to have personality in the ring, and if they're given some proper angles to work in future I think both could get over. The action was good here, though a little imprecise at times. Moon's finisher looked very cool though, that caught me by surprise.

The tag match was fucking great. This was the one part of the show that was an A+. All of these wrestelrs are great, and the Revival are the most underrated team in wrestling these days. Absolutely loved everything here, I can't fault any of it. There were a lot of great tag team moves, loads of awesome and believable near falls. Everything just worked. They teased Gargano and Ciampa splitting up after the match, but I'm glad that they didn't go there. That feud would be awesome, but this team has a little more life in it yet.

Bayley vs Asuka was very good, but not great. Which is the same thing I thought about the last match they had. There's just something missing between these two. It's not that they don't have good chemistry, I think it's more that they're not allowed to have the match that they should have. If Asuka was allowed to play the heel properly, they could have an amazing match. But I can understand why they won't turn Asuka heel - with Bayley gone, she's by far the best woman on the roster and will be more popular than everyone else no matter what. So it was just impractical for these two to have the feud that they could have had and should have had in other circumstances.

The main event was similar in that I thought it was a good match, but it didn't feel all that special to me. And I think that's largely because of the poor build up to the match. The action was good and both guys really know how to work a crowd, but I'd hope for a more of a buzz when a babyface wins the title for the first time.

It was a good show, I don't want to sound that critical of it. All the wrestlers worked hard and the performances were good across the board. They were all just a bit handicapped by the booking and there wasn't that electricity in the air that raised everyone's game to that extra level that we saw at last year's Takeover Brooklyn.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Return to WWE