It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 9:56 am

Its all so bloody pristine and shiny!

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Its all so bloody pristine and shiny!

Postby Headlesspete » May 09, '16, 3:32 pm

Anyone else really not like how shiny and pretty the WWE set looks nowadays? I'm not someone that normally longs for the Attitude era etc, but the one clear thing i really enjoyed about the older WWE compared to now, is how the sets and layout seemed a lot more....grimy? Dirty? I dunno how to describe it, it just feels like its just too nice.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Re: Its all so bloody pristine and shiny!

Postby Daz » May 09, '16, 3:56 pm

I say it all the time how much I dislike the lighting for WWE shows. It makes the shows look so sterile.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Hanley! » May 09, '16, 3:56 pm

I've talked about that a few times. WWE's production has always been one of its strongest attributes, and their set design has tended to be quite good too. But I do think there's something a little too polished, and almost sterile about the way the product looks at the moment.

I'm probably making too much of a point out of it, but I think it can almost hurt the suspension of disbelief when you're watching the show. On a purely visual level, it almost looks more like a talk show than a sporting event.

That's likely just personal preference though, and some people probably prefer the sleak current era design. And if the show is good, it's not something that puts me off, so I don't care all that much. Though I do think that if they're serious about trying to establish a new era that making some cosmetic changes like this would help to reinforce that idea in the minds of the viewers. Things like changing the intro and changing the announce team would help too.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Headlesspete » May 09, '16, 5:15 pm

Daz wrote:I say it all the time how much I dislike the lighting for WWE shows. It makes the shows look so sterile.

Yeah, thats another big one too.

Another thing is how all the Pay Per View sets are the exact same. I really used to enjoy seeing what creative ways WWE would go out to show the Extreme Rules set, the Royal Rumble etc. Now the same set is used for every single show bar WrestleMania.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Postby Str8Shooter » May 09, '16, 5:20 pm

I agree that I wish they would change up the sets, but with the cost of the big HD one they have, I guess they can't do much unfortunately. All the shows look and feel pretty much the same, save for Mania.

Maybe it's time for a new HD set? The one they have now I believe they got in 2008 I'm going to say? It's almost a decade old now, I'd like to see a new one.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby The Legend » May 10, '16, 4:54 am

Truthfully, I can understand why people don't like the set. I can understand why people don't enjoy the product as much any more too. But honestly, I think they go perfectly together. I don't think the show would look right with a more Attitude Era grungy set with the way they perform the product these days anyhow.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Twister » May 11, '16, 9:10 am

I agree I much preferred the grungy look of the late 90's/attitude era. Not sure how they could get away with reverting back to that style now though without it looking dated.

The different sets were awesome too, it all added to the appeal of the product I think. I wish they'd get some of that back.

Twister Female
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 56

Postby Circled Square » May 11, '16, 3:45 pm

The reason the HD sets are so bad looking is because they're oversized. It takes up thousands of seats so WWE can say they sold out an arena.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby JPG619 » May 13, '16, 6:58 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:I agree that I wish they would change up the sets, but with the cost of the big HD one they have, I guess they can't do much unfortunately. All the shows look and feel pretty much the same, save for Mania.

Maybe it's time for a new HD set? The one they have now I believe they got in 2008 I'm going to say? It's almost a decade old now, I'd like to see a new one.

Yeah however they can easily have different variants of the same set since the WWE has 3 sets one for RAW, SmackDown and a spare so the can easily change up the layout for RAW and SmackDown so it feels like a different show

JPG619 Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

Topics: 29

Return to WWE