It is currently: Apr 28, '24, 2:46 am

"We want Sasha"

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

"We want Sasha"

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 26, '16, 7:11 pm

Anyone else starting to get a little fed up with this chant in every woman's match? It ready annoyed me on Raw, specifically when your actually getting two very capable performers in Emma and Natalya. Its not like it was Summer Rae vs Brie Bella or some other half talentless woman. Its like the crowds going to shit on every woman WWE have unless they have Sasha out there.

And that brings me to my 2nd point....Sasha IS NOT the best woman in WWE. In fact, I would argue if your judging based on in ring skill AND character, she's not even in the top 5. I think Becky, Charlotte, Natalya, Emma and Paige are all collectively above Sashsa. That's not to say i think Sasha is bad, she had a killer run in NXT and should theoretically be amazing in WWE, but so far nothing she's done in the main roster makes me think she deserves the spotlight.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Re: "We want Sasha"

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 27, '16, 7:30 am

If they want them to stop chanting "We Want Sasha", I would suggest they give them some Sasha.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Apr 27, '16, 8:57 am

I don't really understand why lol. I obviously didn't watch enough NXT.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Apr 27, '16, 1:41 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:If they want them to stop chanting "We Want Sasha", I would suggest they give them some Sasha.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Weirdly, WWE seem to be giving Sasha Banks the Roman Reigns push from a couple of years ago. They've decided that she's going to be the big star of the division. She is the chosen one. But to prepare her for that spot they're doing nothing at all. She's winning all her matches (I'm pretty sure she hasn't lost a singles match since she debuted on Raw), but she's not participating in angles or storylines. She's not being given much to do. It feels like they're just waiting until they think the time is right and launching her straight into the top spot.

It's a lazy way of doing things and not a good way of doing things, in my mind. With Reigns, he never became over enough to be the company's top guy and fans saw through what WWE were doing and turned against him. With Sasha that hasn't happened, because fans built up such respect for her on NXT and are actually excited about the prospect of a big female star. They're just a little miffed that they're not getting it yet.

Also, fans are still adjusting to taking the women's division seriously. It doesn't happen overnight, and WWE didn't start taking it seriously (mostly) until last year. When people see a women's match, they're still inclined to think of it as THE women's match - and then they get annoyed when their favourite isn't involved.

Headlesspete wrote:I think Becky, Charlotte, Natalya, Emma and Paige are all collectively above Sasha.

I can't agree with that. An argument can be made for Becky, Charlotte and Natalya. But Sasha has at least an edge over Emma and Paige in basically every area that counts in wrestling as far as I can see.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 27, '16, 2:00 pm

They're still struggling to find a way to have multiple storylines with the women. Right now they have Charlotte vs Nattie, and everyone else is pretty much just there to have the odd match to fill time. Becky and Emma had a little thing but it was mostly on the pre-show or the youtube page.

The problem to me is they have no strong heel women. Charlotte is the only big time heel. Sasha and Becky are faces, Paige is a face again now. There's almost no heels and the ones there are are bottom of the pecking order.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Apr 27, '16, 2:13 pm

I feel like Paige should really be heel. She doesn't come off as very likable, and I think a heel role is a more natural fit for her. I don't understand why they turned her back to be honest. She hasn't done much since.

To me, Sasha is a more natural heel too, at least for the moment. But the fans like her so much that it would be dumb to turn her until someone else is at that level of popularity.

They could always get Emma in the mix as a heel too. She's a better fit as a heel and has been working that role nicely on NXT. I think she's ready for some main roster feuds.

The only two wrestlers on the women's roster who really need to stay face are Becky and Bayley. They're too good as babyfaces right now to even consider them as heels. And Bayley in particular is far too over to consider turning her heel for the next several years.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 27, '16, 2:37 pm

Hanley! wrote:I feel like Paige should really be heel. She doesn't come off as very likable, and I think a heel role is a more natural fit for her. I don't understand why they turned her back to be honest. She hasn't done much since.

To me, Sasha is a more natural heel too, at least for the moment. But the fans like her so much that it would be dumb to turn her until someone else is at that level of popularity.

They could always get Emma in the mix as a heel too. She's a better fit as a heel and has been working that role nicely on NXT. I think she's ready for some main roster feuds.

The only two wrestlers on the women's roster who really need to stay face are Becky and Bayley. They're too good as babyfaces right now to even consider them as heels. And Bayley in particular is far too over to consider turning her heel for the next several years.

Yeah Paige being a face makes no sense. I know some aren't huge fans, but I feel like after the group of Charlotte, Sasha, Becky that Paige should be up there, she can talk better than most of the other women. I always feel like she's a step above the lower ranked women that she interacts with the most.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 27, '16, 2:59 pm

Hanley! wrote:
Headlesspete wrote:I think Becky, Charlotte, Natalya, Emma and Paige are all collectively above Sasha.

I can't agree with that. An argument can be made for Becky, Charlotte and Natalya. But Sasha has at least an edge over Emma and Paige in basically every area that counts in wrestling as far as I can see.

I dunno, i feel like i get Emma and Paige as characters, i understand who they are, what they are the way they are, and what they are doing. Sasha on the other hand....i can't say i really understand her anymore. My biggest gripe is shes a face that acts like a heel, so she's kinda in limbo.

I think theres a massive amount of potential on the roster, they just need to find a way to utilize it all.

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 27, '16, 4:38 pm

Headlesspete wrote:
Hanley! wrote:

I dunno, i feel like i get Emma and Paige as characters, i understand who they are, what they are the way they are, and what they are doing. Sasha on the other hand....i can't say i really understand her anymore. My biggest gripe is shes a face that acts like a heel, so she's kinda in limbo.

I think theres a massive amount of potential on the roster, they just need to find a way to utilize it all.
'

Sasha's whole character works better as a heel, it's just that for some reason the fans love her. Just has that "it" factor I suppose. So they turned her face and now she has to try and adapt her character to being the babyface.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Postby Hanley! » Apr 27, '16, 4:42 pm

It's one of the few problems caused by NXT. Sasha had a killer heel run there, and if she was staying there it would have felt natural for her to transition into a cool babyface role like the Rock did back in the 90s. But after moving up to Raw, she's still loved by the crowd but just starting her off as that babyface seems kinda unnatural. It'd be more satisfying if she was a heel and we could see her earn those face reactions gradually on Raw. But people already love her from her time on NXT so using her as a heel would be counter-productive.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 27, '16, 4:58 pm

Hanley! wrote:It's one of the few problems caused by NXT. Sasha had a killer heel run there, and if she was staying there it would have felt natural for her to transition into a cool babyface role like the Rock did back in the 90s. But after moving up to Raw, she's still loved by the crowd but just starting her off as that babyface seems kinda unnatural. It'd be more satisfying if she was a heel and we could see her earn those face reactions gradually on Raw. But people already love her from her time on NXT so using her as a heel would be counter-productive.

But WWE have 20+ creative writers. Can not one of them find a way to make Sasha more face like in her attitude so that the fans have reason to cheer her.

I have to imagine anyone who has no idea about NXT, is wondering why the hell Sasha gets so much love when she does so little on Raw, and when she does she comes across as a heel.

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Return to WWE