It is currently: May 04, '24, 8:18 pm

I gotta say, Chris Jericho...

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

I gotta say, Chris Jericho...

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 26, '16, 7:05 pm

...has really surprised me since he's come back!

I'm not a massive Jericho fan, haven't been for a long time actually, and when he returned at the start of the year, i rolled my eyes as i got ready for another Jericho Jobbing Tour. And then, after a rough few weeks, he actually started to get a lot better.

I think it may have been the start of his feud with AJ, but Jericho just seemed to have a fire that i haven't seen in a long time. His matches feel more on point and crisper, and his mic work has been fantastic. It also helps he's come back full time and is on every show. So if this is the Chris Jericho were getting for a while, i kinda feel OK with him getting some big wins now and again.

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 61

Re: I gotta say, Chris Jericho...

Postby Hanley! » Apr 27, '16, 1:47 pm

I don't think this run has been stellar or anything. He's had a series of good matches with Styles, but they weren't great matches and he was working with arguably the best wrestler in the world right now. Styles was the wrestler of the year in 2015, and none of his matches with Jericho reached the heights of his New Japan work.

Jericho has been decent during this run though, so I'm not going to rip on him too much. I've not been much of a fan of his for years, because he often overdid it with gimmicks and his personality was often just kinda grating. I also just don't like some of his ideas. But he's had a solid run this time around, his personality has been grounded and he's done a good job of promoting the feuds he's been in.

He shouldn't be winning too many big matches though. Beating Styles at Wrestlemania was ridiculous. He jobbed to Fandango but couldn't put a big prospect and the next #1 contender for the world title over? I know it likely wasn't his decision so I'm not blaming him, but that was dumb. I have no problem with him getting some television wins, I think that helps people take the character seriously. But I really hope that it's so he can put Ambrose over strong at the next pay per view, because Ambrose is desperate for a win right now and Jericho beating him would be a terrible decision.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 27, '16, 2:03 pm

He's been great since the whole AJ thing started. The heel turn was one of the best in recent memory, and after a fantastic match with New Day. His heel work has been awesome as well. It doesn't even really matter to me that he can't go in the ring like he used to, he still is a strong character and now he's a heel that can actually get heat which is rare.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 27, '16, 2:47 pm

I actually have a small theory that maybe, Jericho beating AJ will be used for if AJ wins the WWE Title, Jericho can claim he beat AJ at WrestleMania and deserves a title match. Not the greatest booking i know, but just a thought.

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby Hanley! » Apr 27, '16, 2:50 pm

That would be logical booking if Styles won the title and they wanted to set up Jericho as his first challenger. But I can't see a situation where that's what happens. And even if it did, they shouldn't have done 4 matches between those two if they were going to go into a title feud between them a couple of months later.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 27, '16, 3:03 pm

Hanley! wrote:That would be logical booking if Styles won the title and they wanted to set up Jericho as his first challenger. But I can't see a situation where that's what happens. And even if it did, they shouldn't have done 4 matches between those two if they were going to go into a title feud between them a couple of months later.

But has it really done all that much harm to AJ? Were 3 weeks removed from Mania, and Jericho actually looks credible because he got a huge win at Mania, and AJ looks credible because he beat 3 other guys to become #1 Contender, including pinning the guy he lost to the previous night.

I agree when Jericho first won it shocked me, and i didn't think it was a great booking choice, but i kinda agree with it now. Both guys look really strong right now.

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby Circled Square » Apr 27, '16, 3:27 pm

Jericho ia great because right now he's working both the smarks and anti smarks. He's also in good shape and his ringwork has been good ever since he returned. I wouldn't want him to go over Dean but if Dean gets fucked over somehow and the feud continues I'd be okay with that too.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 27, '16, 4:35 pm

Can I just say how hilarious it is that Jericho is using smarks saying he "buried" AJ Styles at Mania into his promos now? "Ambrose, I'll bury you just like I buried AJ Styles!". :lol

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

I gotta say Chris Jericho

Postby StanleyMr » Apr 29, '16, 4:38 am

You know I havent watched a match involving Chris Benoit in a really long time but, I cant sit here and say its because of total disgust for what he done. I actually dont look at him the same way I used to but to be perfectly honest I was never really a big fan of his but I was a fan to an extent.

StanleyMr None specified
Mark
Mark

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Circled Square » Apr 29, '16, 7:28 am

If you think of Jericho right now as a Triple H impression it gets even funnier

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 29, '16, 6:47 pm

StanleyMr wrote:You know I havent watched a match involving Chris Benoit in a really long time but, I cant sit here and say its because of total disgust for what he done. I actually dont look at him the same way I used to but to be perfectly honest I was never really a big fan of his but I was a fan to an extent.

Wrong Chris i think.

Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topic Author

Postby prophet » May 02, '16, 3:18 pm

I agree. His last few runs in the company were shit and he lost a lot of credibility with high-profile losses so I wasn't arsed when he returned again this time but yeah he's won me back around. Enjoyed the feud with AJ and I didn't mind that he got a few victories over him (he's a multiple time former world champ, he should be capable of winning matches) but he absolutely shouldn't have gotten the win at Wrestlemania.

I've not watched a show since Wrestlemania but I can't imagine the thing with Ambrose is that good - mostly because I think Ambrose is overrated.

prophet Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 534
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Hanley! » May 02, '16, 3:27 pm

Thank fuck he lost to Ambrose. That was the right finish.

Match wasn't great though. Jericho has definitely lost something in the ring at this point. Compare this match to Ambrose's match against Triple H and there's a huge difference. The Triple H match was much better. On a similar note, I thought the Reigns vs Styles match was better than any of the matches Jericho had against Styles.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Return to WWE