It is currently: Mar 29, '24, 1:07 am

Why did they give Zack Ryder the IC title at Wrestlemania?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

Why did they give Zack Ryder the IC title at Wrestlemania?

Postby Viazon » Apr 26, '16, 2:08 pm

Now this isn't a slight against Ryder. I always been quite fond of him. I think he is deserving of the IC title and I was happy when he won at Wrestlemania. What I mean is, why did they give him the title if they had no plans to do anything for him. I mean, he won the title at Wrestlemania. Had his big moment. Everyone was happy for him. But then he lost the title one day later. And now hasn't appeared for a few weeks. What was the point? Why give that big win to someone they had no intention of actually pushing afterwards. Why not give the title to someone who they do plan to use. Doesn't make sense to me.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 244

Re: Why did they give Zack Ryder the IC title at Wrestlemania?

Postby PorkChop » Apr 26, '16, 2:20 pm

Because WWE book things on the fly, they don't care about planning in advance.

See: 'Summer of Punk' 2011.

PorkChop Male
Creative Team
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 1430

Postby Hanley! » Apr 26, '16, 2:24 pm

I think they did it so people would be surprised. Lame reason, but there you go.

The reason that they picked Ryder as the surprise was probably because they realised that there were no faces that people liked scheduled to win a match anywhere else on the card.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 26, '16, 2:58 pm

He won because they wanted a surprise, and something to kick off the show proper with that would get people talking. Ryder may not be someone they feel needs a big role on TV, but they clearly like him enough to keep him employed and he's a good hand that people respect, so they gave him a nice Mania moment with his Dad with him winning the title.

Of all the things at Mania to complain about, I don't get this one. It's the IC title, it's on Miz now and probably on Cesaro soon, ultimately no harm was done. Ryder got his moment and is no worse off than he was before, except with a nice moment to show his grandkids one day.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Circled Square » Apr 26, '16, 3:03 pm

It was a rib

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Apr 26, '16, 3:43 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:He won because they wanted a surprise, and something to kick off the show proper with that would get people talking. Ryder may not be someone they feel needs a big role on TV, but they clearly like him enough to keep him employed and he's a good hand that people respect, so they gave him a nice Mania moment with his Dad with him winning the title.

Of all the things at Mania to complain about, I don't get this one. It's the IC title, it's on Miz now and probably on Cesaro soon, ultimately no harm was done. Ryder got his moment and is no worse off than he was before, except with a nice moment to show his grandkids one day.

I don't see why people can't just complain about everything that was wrong with Mania. Why pick and choose? There's plenty of complaining to go around. :P

It was a stupid moment. If they had given him a little television time to tell his story, it could have been a nice moment. But instead it was just surprising in a bad way. He was one of WWE's biggest jobbers right until he won the title. And then he lost it the next day.

It undermined the credibility of the title in a huge way. A title that Daniel Bryan won last year, in an effort to boost its credibility. That building up the US and IC titles sure lasted a long time, right? Ryder's win (and loss) also undermined wins/losses at Wrestlemania in general, though that was a recurring theme this year.

A build followed by a pay off is always better than a random surprise, particularly at the event which essentially marks the end of the WWE year.

Last edited by Hanley! on Apr 27, '16, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 165

Postby Headlesspete » Apr 26, '16, 7:01 pm

Yeah, i still don't understand it in the slightest. I almost wish, if they were gonna go with a shock out of nowhere win, they would have just given it to Sin Cara, and let him and Kalisto have a match to merge the titles.

Anyway, Miz has the title now, so all is good with the world! :D

Headlesspete None specified
Indy Darling
Indy Darling

Topics: 61

Postby The Legend » Apr 26, '16, 7:36 pm

They A gave him his Mania moment with his dad and B surprised people that thought it'd only be Owens or Zayn. Didn't say it was a good reason, but that was their reason.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Return to WWE