It is currently: Apr 27, '24, 7:17 am

What's your Wrestlemania 33 main event?

Talk about what's going on in the WWE in this forum!

Moderator: Str8Shooter

What's your Wrestlemania 33 main event?

Postby Hanley! » Apr 16, '16, 2:07 pm

It's a year until Wrestlemania 33. A lot of the company's big stars are gone or only working part time. The main event has been terribly received the last two years in a row, and the year before that would have been the worst received Wrestlemania main event of all time if the company hadn't changed it at the last minute.

So with the benefit of a year to get guys in the right position, what would you do to turn things around next year? What would your main event be for Wrestlemania 33?

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topic Author
Topics: 165

Re: What's your Wrestlemania 33 main event?

Postby Daz » Apr 16, '16, 3:04 pm

I don't know who he's facing but I know Kevin Owens is in it.

Click image to get your tits blown off by my literary prowess.
Daz Male
Referee
Ring General
Ring General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Topics: 25

Postby Circled Square » Apr 16, '16, 3:18 pm

Owens vs Batista would be cool
Lesnar vs Batista would be cool
Orton vs Lesnar would be cool
Cena vs Taker would be cool
Rock vs Orton would be cool
Shield Triple Threat would be cool
Rollins vs Lesnar would be cool

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby The Legend » Apr 16, '16, 4:12 pm

Rollins vs Owens ( c ) sounds quite possible to me. Owens is the company's best intentional heel and Rollins is going to return, probably around SummerSlam and most likely be received as one of the company's biggest faces.

Credit to Tim/Everlong for this awesome sig
The Legend None specified
World Champion
World Champion

Topics: 331

Postby Hanley! » Apr 16, '16, 4:39 pm

Rollins vs Owens sounds great, but I'm not sure Rollins is established enough yet sadly. And Owens definitely isn't. It sucks because I always campaign against having old-timers in the Wrestlemania main event after all these years, but before we can move on from that I feel like these old-timers need to put over a new generation and establish them as stars. If that makes any sense. To me it would feel strange to have a Wrestlemania main event between two guys who hadn't been on that level before.

For that reason, I feel like the main event almost needs to have John Cena, Brock Lesnar or (now) Roman Reigns in there to give it that bit more legitimacy. Guys like Triple H or Undertaker technically fit this role too, but I just really don't want to see either of those guys in that kind of spot.

The Shield triple threat would be a great main event actually. That's probably what I'd go for. I've been flabbergasted by their failure to go with that match for a major show yet. Hopefully people haven't forgotten about the history between these guys by the time they finally do the match. If I was going with the Shield in the main event, I'd have Rollins be the Royal Rumble winner and the babyface for the match. Reigns would be the heel champion, after holding the belt for a year. Ambrose would be the tweener.

A heel Reigns against a face Rollins or Ambrose individually could be good too. Usually I'd prefer it as I'm more of a fan of singles matches, particularly for Wrestlemania. But the Shield dynamic does make the triple threat interesting in this case.

Face Rollins against a heel Lesnar is another match I'd love.

I think Sami Zayn vs a heel Reigns or maybe a heel Lesnar would be the best Wrestlemania feud in years, and I desperately hope it happens. But Wrestlemania 33 might be a bit soon for that. I think Sami can be a great main event babyface, but he does work best as an underdog character so you can't push him too hard too quickly or he loses part of what makes him special.

It's a pity that what we'll probably get is Roman Reigns vs John Cena.

:jerk

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Postby Str8Shooter » Apr 16, '16, 5:29 pm

I think there's a solid chance it's a Shield Triple Threat with Reigns vs Rollins vs Ambrose. I mean that match has been widely speculated on for years already. The only problem is with Rollins return I don't know how this doesn't happen at all before Mania. In fact I could easily see this happening at Summerslam in August this year.

The way I see it, these will be the Top 3 matches on the card.

World Championship:
Roman Reigns (c) vs Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose

Reigns has main evented two straight Mania's so it's not a stretch to say he does it three years in a row. The problem with this match is I don't know who's the heel(s). I think Rollins returns face and Ambrose might be face. Any of them could be heels or none of them could be by Mania.

Legend vs Legend
Taker's Last Ride
Undertaker vs John Cena

They wanted to do it this year but couldn't. It's one of the last real "big fights" they have left. Rumours are saying Taker might be done already but I don't buy him having a quiet fade into the night retirement after beating Shane. If both are healthy I think this is a lock and Taker bows out for good. Taker could even go out with a win here if they want to without damaging Cena much.

Brahma Bull vs Beast
The Rock vs Brock Lesnar

With Mania being in Florida again, getting Rock to wrestle is likely high on their wish list. I don't know his movie schedule, but I would guess they are already trying to lock this in for next year. Brock needs an opponent and this is a high profile match that will get a lot of mainstream press given Brock and Rock's name value.

Str8Shooter Male
Creative Team
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 359

Postby Viazon » Apr 17, '16, 3:41 am

I don't care who it is, but for the love of God, just let the main face in the match be someone the crowd actually loves and who cheers for. I don't know about you, but I hated seeing Reigns get booed at Wrestlemania. Not because I like him or feel bad for him or anything, but it just ruins the viewing experience for me.

Viazon Male
Main Eventer
Main Eventer

Topics: 244

Postby Everlong » Apr 17, '16, 8:38 am

Is the question what will it be, or what would I have it be? Likely very different answers.

WWE will probably give us some bullshit with Roman Reigns for a third year in a row, maybe vs. Cena or Undertaker, I dunno. I'd bet on something like that.

But matches I"d love or could see being interesting:

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins
Kevin Owens vs. John Cena
Kevin Owens vs. Brock Lesnar
Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles
AJ Styles vs. Seth Rollins
AJ Styles vs. John Cena

Or, in a complete pipe dream, CM Punk vs. Seth Rollins or Kevin Owens.

YOU HEARD IT FROM TAJ FIRST FOLKS
Everlong Male
SquaredCircle Commisioner
Living Legend
Living Legend

Topics: 2439

Postby Circled Square » Apr 17, '16, 8:44 am

I wonder if Owens vs. Styles would draw well as the main event of Wrestlemania.

Circled Square Male
Next Big Thing
Next Big Thing

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Topics: 209

Postby Hanley! » Apr 17, '16, 9:00 am

Circled Square wrote:I wonder if Owens vs. Styles would draw well as the main event of Wrestlemania.

It'd draw as well as the main event of this year's Wrestlemania. Probably more actually. But I don't think it would be a huge draw. Mostly Wrestlemania sells itself and I don't think Owens vs Styles would attract too many more buys. I honestly don't think Reigns vs Triple H attracted any more. Or at least a small enough amount to not be worth mentioning.

In a couple of years, if the company really got one of them over as a headliner, it could potentially be a great draw. But that takes time and effort that WWE probably aren't willing to invest.

I want the old timers out of the main event more than anyone (literally) but I feel like they need to hang around long enough to put the new guys over first. They should have been doing that years ago, but unfortunately they didn't.

I feel like the best main event next year would be an established name putting over another guy big. So I feel like you need to have Reigns, Cena, Lesnar, Undertaker, Orton or Triple H as one of the guys in that match (though preferably not one of the latter three or I may cry) and have them face off against a new opponent and put them over strong. Rock could fill that role too if his movie schedule permitted it.

This is the best way to get us to a place where we can rely on solely current generation guys to headline a Wrestlemania. Say next year that Rollins wins the belt from Reigns and Owens goes over Lesnar ... suddenly Rollins vs Owens for Wrestlemania 34 doesn't just seem possible, it sounds like the best thing you could do.

Hanley! Male
World Champion
World Champion

Topic Author

Return to WWE